Alright when was that again.....?

San Marino gave Italy two
Luxembourg gave Germany two
Pacific gave Japan two
European gave UK and Spain two
plus a bunch I cant remember off the top of my head.
A rule paid very little reverence.

Two different tracks in the same country but not held in the same year,or as for San Marino is a small principality I believe so thats why Monza is the Italian GP and San Merino is (was) the San Marino GP, I think that was what it was about when I heard or read it somewhere, someone wanted to know why Italy had 2 GPs a year. Probably more to do with WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP status , sounds better with a county name in the title, they cant call both races USA GP. Like when they were thinking of dropping Hockenhime for another German track why not both. Or the year they dropped Silverstone for Donington in 93, but at the end of the day they can have them anywhere were people want them. I'm sure they don't think of themselves as a charity fun run. Follow the money.

Two different tracks in the same country but not held in the same year,or as for San Marino is a small principality I believe so thats why Monza is the Italian GP and San Merino is (was) the San Marino GP, I think that was what it was about when I heard or read it somewhere, someone wanted to know why Italy had 2 GPs a year. Probably more to do with WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP status , sounds better with a county name in the title, they cant call both races USA GP. Like when they were thinking of dropping Hockenhime for another German track why not both. Or the year they dropped Silverstone for Donington in 93, but at the end of the day they can have them anywhere were people want them. I'm sure they don't think of themselves as a charity fun run. Follow the money.
I think you mean the San Marino GP was actually held at Imola (in Italy).

Is it going through the stadium, like in Mexico only possibly more Mickey Mouse (with all due respects to Mickey)?
I can't understand why environmentalists aren't freaking out. Formula E through city streets okay but wait until the residents get a load of a Shell/Petronas cocktail. Yumm

San Marino gave Italy two
Luxembourg gave Germany two
Pacific gave Japan two
European gave UK and Spain two
plus a bunch I cant remember off the top of my head.
A rule paid very little reverence.

That is why those GPs were named for other countries or designated a continental named GP despite being held in country that already had it's own GP- to circumvent the "rule" of a sole "national" GP. If I remember correctly from the time it wasn't an official rule from FIA or anything it was more a "gentlemen's agreement" type of thing for sponsorship & amongst the national auto organizations to be able to market a "national" GP.

If I had to guess, this Miami GP will likely end up being named something along the lines of the North American GP, East Coast GP, Caribbean GP, Atlantic Coast GP etc. b/c of the soft "rule."

There was a year when the "Swiss" GP was held in France as well. 1982 or so if I recall correctly.

Or the year they dropped Silverstone for Donington in 93

Sorry matey, just picking you up on that one.

The Donington race was branded the European Grand Prix and Silverstone still took place in July as the British Grand Prix. I can't remember the exact reason why but a grand prix was planned around that time and it never happened. That's how Tom Wheatcroft got his chance. Might have been Dubai maybe. Not sure.

Extra races in Europe tend to end up with the European Grand Prix tag which is kind of handy to have in your back pocket, unless we have two races in the UK again. BREXIT Grand Prix anyone? :)

Joking aside, I'm not really sure about a Miami Grand Prix. Depends on where they run the race. I kind of liked Phoenix for example because although the races were a bit bland, it was bumpy, wide and fast. Which in my view is what a street circuit should be. A completely different set of challenges compared to a race circuit.

Anyway, it's only an agreement in principle. Will be interesting to see if the deal happens for real.

There was a year when the "Swiss" GP was held in France as well. 1982 or so if I recall correctly.

Because Switzerland are pussies for banning motor racing.

And even then, Alain Menu, Neel Jani and the Sauber racing team is allowed to compete without incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is the layout going counter clockwise, it would appear.

h.jpg

What's with the boats to the left? :p

Remember when they wanted to have a CART/Indycar race in Boston? They had a track layout and everything.

Bostonians be like "knock yourself out, nobody will notice".

I though there was an old rule that they wouldn't have more than one GP per country, its been a while since I heard that or read it somewhere a long time ago. If it dose go ahead can only hope for a good layout for some good racing. I still have my fingers crossed for quite some time time now for a good new track, I think they are permanently cramped in the crossed position.
In 1982 there were 3 Grand Prix in the US. US GP West at Long Beach, Detroit GP, and Caesars Palace GP.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 169 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 452 39.2%