F1: Miami Grand Prix Agreement in Principle Confirmed

Miami Grand Prix.jpg

The United States of America look set to host a second Grand Prix in 2021, following the sport having reached an agreement in principle to bring F1 racing to Miami for the first time.

The long awaited second Grand Prix in the USA has taken a massive step closer today, with the protracted negotiations between Formula One and Miami having finally come to a successful conclusion, resulting in an agreement in principle to host a race within the iconic Hard Rock Stadium, incorporating the impressive venue in a proposed street circuit race around the Florida city.

“We are thrilled to announce that Formula One and Hard Rock Stadium have reached an agreement in principle to host the first-ever Formula One Miami Grand Prix at Hard Rock Stadium" said a statement from Formula 1’s Managing Director Commercial Operations Sean Bratches and Tom Garfinkel, Vice Chairman and CEO of the Miami Dolphins and the Hard Rock Stadium.

"With an estimated annual impact of more than $400 million and 35,000 room nights, the Formula One Miami Grand Prix will be an economic juggernaut for South Florida each and every year.

“We are deeply grateful to our fans, elected officials and the local tourism industry for their patience and support throughout this process. We look forward to bringing the greatest racing spectacle on the planet for the first time to one of the world’s most iconic and glamorous regions.”

The final hurdle yet to be overcome by the sport is a vote set to take place at the Miami-Dade County on October 28, where it is anticipated the proposals for the race will be approved by the relevant parties ahead of the initial construction work beginning at the circuit venue in the near future.

For more news from the world of Grand Prix racing, head over to the Formula One sub forum to catch up with the news and share your passion with fellow fans of Grand Prix racing.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.
Party in the city where the heat is on
All night, on the beach till the break of dawn
Welcome to Miami!
Bienvenidos a Miami!

Last edited:

Ross Garland

Spiritseer
Staff
Premium
Honestly, what are we doing here ?? Racing or Marketing?
Marketing. That's the primary purpose of F1's existence, and always will be. If there are no brands to promote then there's no money, and racing comes to an end. Welcome to the "pinnacle" of motorsport. :rolleyes:

Also, agreement in principle. In other words, a "gentleman's handshake" which means very little until someone signs on a dotted line.

Easty

25RPM
I though there was an old rule that they wouldn't have more than one GP per country, its been a while since I heard that or read it somewhere a long time ago. If it dose go ahead can only hope for a good layout for some good racing. I still have my fingers crossed for quite some time time now for a good new track, I think they are permanently cramped in the crossed position.

Ross Garland

Spiritseer
Staff
Premium
I though there was an old rule that they wouldn't have more than one GP per country...
Pretty sure that's never been the case, at least not recently. The European Grand Prix was generally held in a country that also had it's own national GP, for example.

At the end of the day, the only rule they're going to have is to send the races where the money is. You can already see this in action right now, with races in (and scheduled for) countries that have no real racing history behind them, and mediocre national interest at best. Meanwhile, countries like the UK, Germany, and Italy, with a solid racing history, massive national interest, and a claim to being the origins of F1, have recently been in danger of losing their races altogether.

What fans want and what is good for the racing in now secondary to whatever earns the brand the most money. End of story.

I though there was an old rule that they wouldn't have more than one GP per country, its been a while since I heard that or read it somewhere a long time ago. If it dose go ahead can only hope for a good layout for some good racing. I still have my fingers crossed for quite some time time now for a good new track, I think they are permanently cramped in the crossed position.
Pretty sure that's never been the case, at least not recently. The European Grand Prix was generally held in a country that also had it's own national GP, for example.

At the end of the day, the only rule they're going to have is to send the races where the money is. You can already see this in action right now, with races in (and scheduled for) countries that have no real racing history behind them, and mediocre national interest at best. Meanwhile, countries like the UK, Germany, and Italy, with a solid racing history, massive national interest, and a claim to being the origins of F1, have recently been in danger of losing their races altogether.

What fans want and what is good for the racing in now secondary to whatever earns the brand the most money. End of story.
Having multiple GPs in one country is an idea that dates back to the 70's with the US GP East as Watkins Glen and the US GP West at Long Beach too.

ZeroRisk

2000RPM
Premium
I only wish that the flights would be cheaper from KL to Miami, and that they do it during the UK school holidays so we could at least feasibly dream about actually going.
Been to Miami before, during a road trip from Texas for the inaugural CoTA F1 race, and then to watch the Dolphins, we loved how chilled it was there. Beaches, tandem bikes along the broad walk. Great bars, hotels and a massive shopping mall to get lost in and spend all the money you don't have...
Really would love to go back and especially to see the F1 cars up close and personal on a street circuit hopefully by the beach, sipping cocktails at a bar whilst cars whistle past at speed.

CDwyer

100RPM
I though there was an old rule that they wouldn't have more than one GP per country, .
San Marino gave Italy two
Luxembourg gave Germany two
Pacific gave Japan two
European gave UK and Spain two
plus a bunch I cant remember off the top of my head.
A rule paid very little reverence.

Angeltheartist

250RPM
Premium

Easty

25RPM
Pacific gave Japan two
Two different tracks in the same country but not held in the same year,or as for San Marino is a small principality I believe so thats why Monza is the Italian GP and San Merino is (was) the San Marino GP, I think that was what it was about when I heard or read it somewhere, someone wanted to know why Italy had 2 GPs a year. Probably more to do with WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP status , sounds better with a county name in the title, they cant call both races USA GP. Like when they were thinking of dropping Hockenhime for another German track why not both. Or the year they dropped Silverstone for Donington in 93, but at the end of the day they can have them anywhere were people want them. I'm sure they don't think of themselves as a charity fun run. Follow the money.

Knoxstar

250RPM
Two different tracks in the same country but not held in the same year,or as for San Marino is a small principality I believe so thats why Monza is the Italian GP and San Merino is (was) the San Marino GP, I think that was what it was about when I heard or read it somewhere, someone wanted to know why Italy had 2 GPs a year. Probably more to do with WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP status , sounds better with a county name in the title, they cant call both races USA GP. Like when they were thinking of dropping Hockenhime for another German track why not both. Or the year they dropped Silverstone for Donington in 93, but at the end of the day they can have them anywhere were people want them. I'm sure they don't think of themselves as a charity fun run. Follow the money.
I think you mean the San Marino GP was actually held at Imola (in Italy).

Knoxstar

250RPM
Is it going through the stadium, like in Mexico only possibly more Mickey Mouse (with all due respects to Mickey)?
I can't understand why environmentalists aren't freaking out. Formula E through city streets okay but wait until the residents get a load of a Shell/Petronas cocktail. Yumm

Pacific gave Japan two
That is why those GPs were named for other countries or designated a continental named GP despite being held in country that already had it's own GP- to circumvent the "rule" of a sole "national" GP. If I remember correctly from the time it wasn't an official rule from FIA or anything it was more a "gentlemen's agreement" type of thing for sponsorship & amongst the national auto organizations to be able to market a "national" GP.

If I had to guess, this Miami GP will likely end up being named something along the lines of the North American GP, East Coast GP, Caribbean GP, Atlantic Coast GP etc. b/c of the soft "rule."

There was a year when the "Swiss" GP was held in France as well. 1982 or so if I recall correctly.

Top Bottom