Paul Jeffrey

Premium
McLaren drivers Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris have had the opportunity to sample the 2021 18-inch Pirelli tyres for the first time at Paul Ricard.

As the Italian tyre manufacturer continue to develop their new 2021 specification 18-inch Formula One tyre, Thursday and Friday of last week would see the first opportunity for a current Grand Prix driver to have time with the new rubber, as McLaren team mates Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris each spent a day at Paul Ricard testing on behalf of Pirelli.

Running the current specification McLaren with the experimental new tyres, Carlos Sainz would be handed the honour of first driver to sample the new tyres, however the Spanish star would be limited to just 39 laps due to poor weather at the track. Rookie team mate Norris would fare much better on Friday, completing his programme with an impressive 106 laps of the French venue, gathering valuable data for Pirelli as they continue to evaluate the impact of the 2021 regulation changes.

McLaren Test Pirelli 18 Inch Tyres 2.jpg
McLaren Test Pirelli 18 Inch Tyres 3.jpg

McLaren aren't the first team to try out the new tyres this year, with former Williams driver Sergey Sirotkin having already undertaken duties for his new employer Renault earlier this season. Sirotkin tested the tyres back in September at the same venue, and new World Champions Mercedes are due to take part in further testing at the close of the season in December.

McLaren Test Pirelli 18 Inch Tyres 4.jpg

What do you think of the 18-inch tyre design for 2021? Do you like the new style? Do you think they are an improvement over the current style of wheel and tyre used by Formula One?

New to Formula One and want to learn more, or a seasoned veteran and looking to share your knowledge? Start a thread or answer a question in the Formula One sub forum here at RD.

Motorsport is Awesome!

Last edited:
I must admit that I am not a huge fan of Formula 1. With that said, did I read the article correctly that these are 2021 tires, not 2020?

2021 cars will not have visible wheels but wheelcovers though. The front and rear wheels will look more like 2008/2009 f1 front wheels. Those nice looking big wheels in those press pictures will be fully covered by black hubcaps or black hubcaps with stickers that look like wheels. In a way it is almost comical how the looks were the only real reason why the wheel sizes were changed but then they hide them with the wheel covers...

2021 cars will not have visible wheels but wheelcovers though. The front and rear wheels will look more like 2008/2009 f1 front wheels. Those nice looking big wheels in those press pictures will be fully covered by black hubcaps or black hubcaps with stickers that look like wheels. In a way it is almost comical how the looks were the only real reason why the wheel sizes were changed but then they hide them with the wheel covers...
Actually they want to put LED number boards on the wheelcovers to either show trackposition or the drivers number, can't quite remember exactly.

I wasn't a fan originally of the change from the renders that came out but I quite like it with the black wheel. Too bad the wheel covers will be there in once sense from a visual look but if it helps reduce the wash for the car behind then I'm good with it

Why the h*ell they use stickers that look like regular wheels on the 2021 concepts. Exploit that new space for whatever reason. But don't make it look like something it is not.

What I always wonder is how much advantage you get when testing with Pirelli, given the fact that mid season testing is banned.

And in this case, towards 2021

I like the older tall sidewalls look more. But lets see how they will drive, very likely even moe on rails, but lets see.

IMO F1 cars went progressively downhill on looks department since 1995. This would be the bottom so far. But that is how very quick laptimes looks.

I like the older tall sidewalls look more. But lets see how they will drive, very likely even moe on rails, but lets see.

IMO F1 cars went progressively downhill on looks department since 1995. This would be the bottom so far. But that is how very quick laptimes looks.

I whole heartedly agree. Of course they are the occassional car specific exceptions but we share the same opinion. I loved the the f1-2000 ferrari. I was in love with that car during that season. Also the older tires made sense on those cars based on the time. Many vehicles were sold on 13/14 inch rims. As with everything else it'll take a little getting use to but I haven't followed F1 much since MS's first retirement. One advantage of lower profiles though is the ability to keep the car in the required window should be greatly improved and less deformation, so yeah ... on rails.

The wheel covers looked rubbish on the Brawn GP era etc cars and they'll look rubbish in 2021 . Don't like the big wheels either . The big , fat tyres are part of Formula One's essence and it looks like theyre wanting to make them look like Formula E cars . The halo is understandable no matter how ugly it is but there's no safety excuse for the wheels . It's all about making them look like road tyres for marketing purposes .

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 389 39.9%