Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Frontier Developments have confirmed a new and officially licensed Formula One management game is in development - with a release expected in early 2022.

It has been a long, long time since we last had an official management videogame for Formula One racing - even if Motorsport Manager gave a it a valiant try with their unlicensed 2014 effort, so anticipation of this new release is sure to be high amongst fans of Grand Prix racing.

Choosing Frontier Developments is also a wise choice, the British studio have already well established itself in the management simulation marketplace with such titles such as Planet Zoo and Planet Coasters, as well as the popular Elite Dangerous space simulation.

Frontier Developments CEO David Braben said:

"We are delighted to announce this multi-year licence deal with F1. F1 is one of the most popular global sporting franchises in the world, and we believe the combination of the F1 brand together with our extensive experience in management games will deliver fantastic game experiences to a wide and varied audience around the world."

"We have achieved great success with our own IP and are proven development and publishing partners for the highest profile third party IP. Both original and licensed IP will continue to be important as we grow and nurture our portfolio."

The deal is reportedly to cover up to four seasonal licensed products, depending on financial and performance criteria being met, and the new IP is not expected to interfere with the current multi-year deal held by Codemasters to produce licensed F1 racing games.

Roll on 2022!

Last edited:
Fabulous, saw this announced a few days ago. It's great that they've chosen Frontier Developments, the way they built Elite Dangerous was superb, what started out as barebones wireframe space stations and a few ships grew and became masterpiece that game is today. They took the cherished Elite series and made it better than anyone could have imagined. I loved the old Microprose Grand Prix Manager games, hours and hours of fun.

A blast from the past:

I hope Frontier offers a similar backer/Beta programme to ED, I'll be in on day one.

Great news! Motorsport Manager is dead and if they make Football Manager, or Franchise Hockey Manager detailed type of game with full licensed content, it will be excellent. I am curios for type of 3D engine, maybe something like Pro Cycling Manager?

Aren't Playsport Games more of a mobile games developer though? Motorsport Manager is a superb game on mobile and PC and I'm fairly sure I remember playing it first on my iPad long before the PC version. The PC version is far superior of course with mods etc and from what I've seen on MM2 and MM3 they are pretty much the same content as the DLC packs for the PC game. With nothing on the PC since 2017 and the new MM Online just released it looks like their focus is very much mobile. I could be wrong but that's how it looks.

I also think Frontier will produce something outstanding.

This has the potential to be awesome!

There's also a lot of ways to ruin these sorts of games though, so I will be watching for previews and hoping for the best in the meantime.

Aren't Playsport Games more of a mobile games developer though? Motorsport Manager is a superb game on mobile and PC and I'm fairly sure I remember playing it first on my iPad long before the PC version. The PC version is far superior of course with mods etc and from what I've seen on MM2 and MM3 they are pretty much the same content as the DLC packs for the PC game. With nothing on the PC since 2017 and the new MM Online just released it looks like their focus is very much mobile. I could be wrong but that's how it looks.

I also think Frontier will produce something outstanding.

Playsport wants to make MM2-PC, their mobile games are a way for them to get money to develop a new PC games. Either that or suddely find some funding.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 325 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 281 13.4%