F1 | Kubica Secures Reserve Role With Rebranded Alfa Romeo Squad

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Outgoing Williams driver Robert Kubica has secured a reserve driver role with the newly rebranded Alfa Romeo squad for 2020.

Having returned to Formula One in sensational style at the beginning of last season, only to see his performances in the reluctant FW42 fall below the expectations of both team and driver, Robert Kubica has secured an extended stay within the Formula One paddock for the coming season - securing a reserve driver role with the Alfa Romeo team for the year ahead.

The arrival at Hinwil of the 35-year-old Kubica coincides with the arrival of personal sponsor PKN Orlen, the Polish oil company joining Alfa Romeo as co-title sponsor of the team, leading to the squad rebranding as Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN for the coming year.

Signing up as reserve driver sees the Polish driver come full circle in Formula One for 2020, having made his debut for the team back in 2007 when they ran under the BMW banner. Highly regarded during his time at the squad, winning the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix and securing a career best fourth in the drivers title,race during the same season, the added experience of Kubica and the sponsorship dollars associated with his Orlen backing will no doubt be useful to the team in the year ahead.

For his part, Kubica is delighted to return to a team he knows well from earlier in his Grand Prix career;

“I am really happy to be starting this new chapter in my career as I join Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN. This team holds a special place in my heart and I am pleased to see some faces still here from my years in Hinwil. Time and circumstances are obviously different, but I am convinced that I will find the same determination and hunger to succeed. I am looking forward to helping Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN make the next step forward.”

Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN will retain an unchanged driving lineup of Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi next season, however former reserve driver and now IndyCar star Marcus Ericsson is expected to depart the team following Kubica's arrival, leaving the Polish driver as first choice should either race driver be unable to participate in a Grand Prix during 2020.

Kubica is still thought to be pursuing a race opportunity for the year ahead, with a DTM drive for BMW expected to be the most likely destination.

Have a question about the world of Formula One? Start a thread in our Formula One sub forum and let the community be your guide!

Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN deal 1.jpg

Last edited:
chance that it will be better year for Robert than in 2019 ( rather it can't be worse) :D

Oh yeah, it certainly will!

I can only tell you, the way Williams screwed Robert, was unprecedented.
You have no idea what was going on there, but believe me, it's better not knowing.
Literally, they've done things I have never seen before in Formula 1.

It was a great team once. I hope they will once come back to winning ways and proper race-craft.
At the moment, the only part of the team that is racing, excluding the drivers, are the mechanics.
Given what they have to work with, these guys are doing miracles!

I'd like to encourage everyone to cheer for Robert, this guy is now working on some unfinished business and things will get very exciting!

Well it's good news for us Poles, Robert is coming back "home", and I always felt Italian enviroment suits him better - not that I have something against Williams despite that dreadful last season, I just feel he was in bad place at the bad time - Mercedes junior and top British young driver joining in, which suggested they would give him more attention, which is understandable given their situation.
But let's be honest, this would also be a season to verify Robert as The Kubica 2.0. And there is no better way to do that, than going against Kimi on fridays and in tests and driving for BMW in DTM. If he manages to come close to Kimi (like within 0.2 seconds), and finish in top 10 in DTM, I would be happy, and for me it would mean, that he can deliver in 2021. If not - it would finally be a time to focus on other series, maybe even go back to rally.

how do you know what happened in the team ?

Years of reading and conversations.
As much as I appreciate women in our world, I think Claire is a great businesswoman, but not a Formula 1 team leader.

Now lets ask a question: Why was Claire's brother, Jonathan Williams not given a chance of becoming the leader?

He's got the papers, success to back it...

With the choice made, someone wanted Williams to be dependent and you don't need to look far, to find out.

If he manages to come close to Kimi (like within 0.2 seconds), and finish in top 10 in DTM, I would be happy, and for me it would mean, that he can deliver in 2021. If not - it would finally be a time to focus on other series, maybe even go back to rally.

On the other hand, from perspective of having a go at a 2021 driving seat, coming close to Kimi won't cut it. He needs to be equally quick or faster. The current trend is to hire younger talent.

No...Robert was at Williams due to orlen.... now he and they are at alfa with a ferrari engine...
Obviously.

Williams wouldn't take Hamilton if he didn't have a sponsor. I can bet on that!

Actually Vettel admitted he wouldn't get into F1 these days without a sponsor.

So yes, Robert is there due to sponsor. Groundbreaking

I can only tell you, the way Williams screwed Robert, was unprecedented.
You have no idea what was going on there, but believe me, it's better not knowing.
Literally, they've done things I have never seen before in Formula 1.

You can’t make a statement like that and not back it up with facts - it’s meaningless without details. If you’re not prepared to elaborate, you shouldn’t have said anything.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 198 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 196 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%