• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

F1 | Iconic Gulf Colours Return To McLaren

The legendary colours of Gulf are set to return to McLaren following an announcement today that the oil giants have partnered with the British manufacturer on a multi-year agreement.
  • Gulf Oil return to both road and race car division.
  • Renews partnership that began in 1968.
  • F1 livery update scheduled for British Grand Prix.

Almost everyone with a taste for a pretty livery enjoys the colours of Gulf Oil, and it looks like McLaren is about to get a whole lot prettier from the British Grand Prix onwards as McLaren Automotive have today announced a new partnership with the iconic brand, bringing Gulf back to the Formula One field alongside the vast range of McLaren Automotive performance road cars.

McLaren Gulf 2.jpg

“We’re delighted to welcome Gulf back to McLaren and reunite two iconic brands back together in a new and exciting partnership. Gulf is part of McLaren’s history and are well-known for their innovation and technical excellence in the industry, with which aligns with McLaren perfectly. We are looking forward to starting our partnership together this season.” said McLaren CEO Zak Brown of the announcement.​
According to the announcement, the agreement between the two brands with stretch over multiple years and is set to incorporate both the road and racing division of the McLaren group, with 2021 seeing the Formula One outfit move over to Gulf Oil for their racing fluids.

“It’s great to be able to welcome back Gulf after a long historical association which has seen the name adorn many McLaren road cars and race cars over the years. McLaren has a rich history of working with class-leading partners and we’re delighted to continue this trend via our renewed partnership with Gulf. Like McLaren, the Gulf name is synonymous around the world with technical excellence and innovation and the excitement of going racing and motoring.
“Every supercar will have Gulf fuel and lubricants when it leaves the McLaren Production Centre and I know our customers will be thrilled to be able to work with our in-house bespoke team on the option of being one of the few to be able to personalise their McLaren supercar in the iconic Gulf livery.” added Mike Flewitt, Chief Executive Officer, McLaren Automotive.​

Despite having a small media photo shoot earlier in the week ahead of the announcement, it is expected that the Formula One outfit will reveal a new and updated livery during the British Grand Prix race weekend, potentially bringing back to life one of the most iconic and impressive racing colour schemes in the history of the sport.

For more Formula one chit chat, get a thread fired up at the RaceDepartment F1 sub forum, and join your fellow racing fans in discussing this exciting news, and plenty more from the world of the sport we all love.

McLaren Gulf 1.jpg

RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

Slapped

250RPM
Oct 2, 2019
Codemaster is going to love this... it already took them forever for the Mercedes and we still haven't the other teams new livery from the start of this season! and now this... maybe a few months before 2021 game comes out.
Yeah it beggars belief that @gallus can turn out the new liveries seemingly within mere hours of them being announced yet the actual developer drags their collective feet for weeks or months before they make them into the game, if at all.

link to gallus' brilliant work - https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/categories/f1-2020.200/?creator_id=519258

Xero

25RPM
Apr 17, 2011
There is no new livery, it's not a title sponsorship. Might evolve into one next season, who knows.

" To launch the partnership, the Gulf brand will be integrated into the McLaren Formula 1 team from the British Grand Prix 2020 on Friday 31 July – Sunday 2 August. The logo will be represented by McLaren F1 personnel throughout the 2020 F1 season, including via race drivers Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz and the McLaren pit crew. Gulf branding will also appear on the engine covers and wing mirrors of the McLaren MCL35 race cars."

TTM75

250RPM
Sep 29, 2010
Hopefully we will see full Gulf based liveries on F1 again. F1 car is already orange/blue themed, so... :)

eg01st

250RPM
Jul 28, 2018
"Stop putting Gulf livery on modern cars, they look bad!" /J. Broadbent/

I can't remember exact quote, but that's what Jimmy was saying on one of the streams.

Majuh

500RPM
Nov 26, 2010
Yeah it beggars belief that @gallus can turn out the new liveries seemingly within mere hours of them being announced yet the actual developer drags their collective feet for weeks or months before they make them into the game, if at all.
Random modders don't need to submit the liveries to the real license holders for approval, and they also do not need to submit the patches to Microsoft and Sony for approval.

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
I would like to see the car in that pastel baby blue like the ligiers of old. Its my favorite color. The only blue car is Red Bull and its that dark shade almost black. I like mid tone to light. So it dose not alter due to mutch due to lighting.

Reactions: turbo86

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
Who cares what Billy Broadbent is saying...;)
There is nothing wrong with a little retro for nostalgia. Look at Scuderia Ferrari that liverey has never changed much. Maybe a darker shade of red than in the days of old. Of course i have seen Jimmy on Utube he lives in a shed. He even raced it on nordschleife. You dont get more old school than that.

welshy46

50RPM
Premium
Aug 30, 2017
Has anyone ever used or even seen a gulf service station, or used any of their products? In 30 years of motor vehicling in the UK I've never seen anything other than hats, T-shirts and hoodies with their logo on it. Apart from the sublime race liveries of course.

BP

1000RPM
Premium
Nov 1, 2016
Gotta stop trying to relive the glory days...it is a good livery, but it had its day. I think the current McLaren livery is one of their most iconic (and may attain "Gulf" status when they get Mercedes Power next year), so no need to change it IMO (I know that's not what the article is saying, but yea)

Reactions: ClimaxF1

ltcars

1000RPM
Sep 12, 2016
"Stop putting Gulf livery on modern cars, they look bad!" /J. Broadbent/

I can't remember exact quote, but that's what Jimmy was saying on one of the streams.
To be fair, just the colours look better alone on the car without all the other sponsors and writing on it.
Just clean orange/blue

Badwheels

10RPM
Premium
Jul 9, 2020
Ok. That is pretty ugly. Like major ugly. Like it was ugly the first time. Some nostalgic things should stay nostalgic. I am just saying.................that is grandma getting out of the bathtub ugly.

Mekonrider

25RPM
Oct 12, 2019
Hmm.....I think I agree with Broadbent. The colours and livery need certain lines and shapes to work and it just doesn't look right to me. i

It if wasn't 'iconic' and new idea someone came up with for the modern era it'd get binned.

Reactions: ltcars

Reaper

25RPM
Jun 14, 2011
Has anyone ever used or even seen a gulf service station, or used any of their products? In 30 years of motor vehicling in the UK I've never seen anything other than hats, T-shirts and hoodies with their logo on it. Apart from the sublime race liveries of course.
Yeap, I have a Gulf near me and try and fill up there when I need to.

wombat999

500RPM
Oct 11, 2015
Actually it is the Marigold and Blue 'Gulf' colours, first worn by the JWR Ford GT-40 team, but the original (and correct) Gulf Oil Corporate Colours were dark blue and orange, as on the Grady Davis GT40.
The original 'Gulf' McLaren F1 colours were orange with a couple Gulf decals strategically placed on the car.
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TrumpetReich