Who should replace Lewis Hamilton in Shakir?

• George Russell

Votes: 315 39.3%
  • Stoffel Vandoorne

Votes: 137 17.1%
  • Nico Hulkenberg

Votes: 288 35.9%
  • Nyck de Vries

Votes: 22 2.7%
  • Esteban Gutierrez

Votes: 12 1.5%
  • Other...

Votes: 28 3.5%

• Total voters

F1 | Hamilton Out, Who In At Mercedes?

Lewis Hamilton will miss the upcoming Sakhir Grand Prix this weekend, leaving World Champions Mercedes with a driver headache ahead of the penultimate round of the season.
  • Hamilton tests positive for Covid-19.
  • World Champion to miss at least upcoming Grand Prix.
  • Mercedes yet to announce replacement driver.
Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for Covid-19, and will miss at least the upcoming Sakhir Grand Prix as his World Championship winning team race to find a replacement driver alongside Valterri Bottas ahead of Formula One's first visit to the out perimeter circuit in Bahrain.

Hamilton Middle.jpg

Fortunately for both Hamilton and his Mercedes team, the unstoppable combination have already wrapped up both team and drivers championships for 2020, but with Sakhir and the upcoming Abu Dhabi Grand Prix still to run this season, who will the Silver Arrows slot into the seven-time World Champion's seat ready for running to commence on Friday morning?

Mercedes has former McLaren driver and current Formula E regular Stoffel Vandoorne on call as reserve, however the Belgian hasn't spent much time in Formula One machinery of late, leaving the tantalizing prospect of potentially calling up Grand Prix racing super-sub Nico Hulkenberg, or promoting Mercedes contracted junior driver, and current Williams racer, George Russell into Hamilton's vacated seat - potential giving the British driver his first points scoring opportunity, in a car capable of taking the race win!

Put yourself in the shoes of Mercedes, who would you pick to replace Hamilton?

For Formula One news and chat, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and get chatting with your fellow fans today!

Hamilton Footer.jpg

RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

Kimmo Kokkonen

Lord GTR3, His master's voice
Premium
Apr 25, 2009
Voted Nico!

So COVID-19 hits Hamilton only day after the Grosjean crash and horrible flames, believes who wants to, I don't.

Lewis does not have new contract and it seems his career will be ends this season. Sunday accident was too much for him, thougth. Let's see.

Enagee

500RPM
Oct 15, 2010
The moment you've been waiting for.
Opportunity to see if someone else can shine.

Opportunity for 3 drivers, Bottas, Max and the replacement driver.

I think it will be Stoffel.

Either way am sure you won't want to miss the next race.

Reactions: MattGTX

CreamyCornCob

500RPM
Oct 23, 2018
Voted Nico!

So COVID-19 hits Hamilton only day after the Grosjean crash and horrible flames, believes who wants to, I don't.

Lewis does not have new contract and it seems his career will be ends this season. Sunday accident was too much for him, thougth. Let's see.
Nico vote here.

You're delusional if you think Lewis is scared after Romains crash, he's not, he's said so himself.
Secondly, you must not pay attention to how Lewis' contracts / extensions work. They're publicly made after the season's been completed.

A) Lewis is never leaving Merc and B) Lewis has said he wants to still be driving when the new cars arrive in 2022.

So no, Sundays accident wasn't and never was "to much for him".

Ulfhedinn

100RPM
Premium
Nov 26, 2019
Nicccoo HULLKENNNBERGG !!!!!

Yeah I know I'm gonna make this joke every time Nico is mention somewhere ;)

The layout is a joke......but it might be fun to watch who knows :roflmao:

Lewis is just 35 so many years left before he retires.....when you break records like him you don't wanna stop.....

Reactions: CreamyCornCob

mopro

250RPM
May 9, 2009
With drivers and constructors championship title secured, it will be good if they can give Gutierrez a chance to "test" the car in a race.

Eckhart von Glan

6000RPM
Premium
Dec 29, 2006
would love to see Russell, but I suppose it's going to be Vandoorne, it#s his job after all and he should be well capable of a top5 spot in both quali and race.

Reactions: ElectronicSpeed

tazza1986

100RPM
Oct 6, 2015
I think whoever is chosen will be kept at bay by Mercedes. Should a substitute win by mistake, Lewis would be discredited for his every success. To be clear, I think he deserves all his achievements, but it must be recognized that the car is superior to all the others and by a lot. Already with Russell I would not be surprised at a good result (if not a victory)