F1 Half Term Report: Rate the Grid - Valtteri Bottas

If he is the #2 driver, then why did Hamilton let him back past at Hungary? Picture yourself Schumacher/Barrichello in the same situation, no way a true number two driver is allowed to take points away from number one, especially at this point in the championship.
I remember a few races back where Bottas suddenly got very slow and Hamilton passed him easily. As soon as Hamilton passed him, he suddenly found his pace again. And that happened 2 times within that race. Clearly both were team orders, so Bottas is the #2 driver.

Hungary was a totally different story. Lewis promised, with the whole world to hear on the radio, that he would let Bottas pass him again if he was not able to pass the guys in front. And he did, which is quite a positive surprise if you ask me. Also 3rd or 4th is only 3 points different. If this would have been for 1st place, the points difference would have been 7 points, and things would probably have been different (team order without Lewis asking on the radio).

I think Bottas has done excellent work with that car...given the time-frame he had to prepare for his departure from Williams.
I'm not sure what some of you expect him to do at this stage.
He's been very consistent while trying to secure a place for next season.
It can't be easy learning the characteristics of a completely new car, team, etc...

I remember a few races back where Bottas suddenly got very slow and Hamilton passed him easily. As soon as Hamilton passed him, he suddenly found his pace again. And that happened 2 times within that race. Clearly both were team orders, so Bottas is the #2 driver.

Hungary was a totally different story. Lewis promised, with the whole world to hear on the radio, that he would let Bottas pass him again if he was not able to pass the guys in front. And he did, which is quite a positive surprise if you ask me. Also 3rd or 4th is only 3 points different. If this would have been for 1st place, the points difference would have been 7 points, and things would probably have been different (team order without Lewis asking on the radio).

Following team orders does not mean you are #2 driver. As we saw in Hungary, team orders can be done so that both drivers benefit. Same with the previous times it happened, if your team mate behind is faster, then it's normal for the team to ask driver ahead to give way, unless he is leading. Look at Montreal where FI asked Perez to let Ocon past. Surely you are not suggesting Perez is FI #2 driver because they gave him the order.

The only time I can remember Bottas being very slow was in Barcelona after extending his first stint with old tires. At that point he was out of the victory fight anyway, so it made sense for Mercedes to try block Vettel with him. None of these things are anywhere comparable to the way Ferrari used their #2 driver during the Schumacher era.

Proved that if you stick any of the guys in a better car they will suddenly be up the sharp end. Only back luck Bottas has had is that the Ferrari's are closer this year, makes you realise just how easy Nico and Lewis had it for last few seasons though only fighting each other.

He's done well but then he is in a car that should be able to easily fill the top 4 places there is no other competition bar Ferrari. Stick him back in that Williams and he's back to being a nowhere man...

Very positive first half of the season in the Merc which hasn't surprised me as I've always liked him and felt he could put in a challenge if given the equipment. He's cool under pressure, calm on the radio and the confidence he has gained from these first months in the team will hopefully see him even stronger over the second half of the season.

8. I was expecting him to kick Hamilton's butt a bit more than what he has done so far. However, I admit that he had to adapt rather quickly to his new team and its culture. I am still not convinced he's getting the same support as Hamilton at Mercedes, but that's F1: you have to make your own place, no one will give you anything. It would be a shame if the was let go at the end of the season. In 2018, he could challenge Hamilton for the championship.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back