F1 Half Term Report: Rate the Grid - Marcus Ericsson

2. Shouldnt be there, but not even close to be given the boot as long as the money keeps flowing. The second that stops, he's gone. Its the most pointless money ever spend as Sauber is hopelessly behind with only themselves to race.

I'm one of the higher votes - I gave him a 7. Maybe it's my Swede DNA clouding my judgement? ;)

Nah, it doesn't have much to do with my DNA - I just think Marcus has held his own against a pretty highly regarded teammate in Wehrlein.

Why not higher? I'm assuming this year's Sauber is :poop:, but we don't really have a scientific way (or even quasi scientific way) of determining how good/bad it really is.

Edit: just a note, I scored him based on my expectations vs his actual performance. Maybe that's not how this is supposed to go, but I've already voted, so.... :) My expectation was that Wehrlein would run circles around Marcus - but, while Wehrlein has definitely had the better season (scoring points in a :poop: car), I don't think he's been significantly better than Ericsson.

Really don't know why all the hate. Do we watch the same races ?
Pay or not pay driver he may be... he was clearly not outclassed (and often just the opposite, except those lucky points:rolleyes:) by Wherlein. Who, on the other hand, is still not a pay driver.
Didn't vote, seems a bit pointless imo.
Ericsson has #1 status and all the good components from the team, as his sponsors are now the actual owners of Sauber. That Wehrlein is still beating him is an indication of how mediocre he is relative to the German.

He won't drive in F1 next year, if he doesn't improve and one place from Sauber is going for Leclerc so he need to beat Wehrlein

He won't drive in F1 next year
Of course he will. He practically owns the team. Without him they're dead.

Wehrlein is the one who's going to lose his seat. He's much better, but rumor has it that Merc want to dispose of him, and Ferrari will want to put Leclerc in his seat.

Would rater see Felix Rosenqvist or Gustav Malja in his seat. But hey, at least Sweden is okay at some motorsports, like rallycross and rally (even if we don't have a WRC 1 driver right now) :)

Of course he will. He practically owns the team. Without him they're dead.

Wehrlein is the one who's going to lose his seat. He's much better, but rumor has it that Merc want to dispose of him, and Ferrari will want to put Leclerc in his seat.
Sauber is going to be technically Ferrari's B-team if any news are true what I have read so both maybe loses their places but Wehrlein has Mercedes helping him too

Sauber is going to be technically Ferrari's B-team if any news are true what I have read so both maybe loses their places but Wehrlein has Mercedes helping him too
They're getting more money from Longbow than they ever would from Ferrari. They would outright have to be bought and turned into Alfa Romeo for them to really become a B team, and Ferrari have better things to do than to spend that much money on a hopeless backmarker.

Marchionne's wording is important here. What he meant when he said what he said is in no way indicative of Ferrari actually turning Sauber into a full-fledged B team, just that they'll continue the partnership they've had for many years and possibly bring Leclerc into the team, just as they had intended with Bianchi in 2015 when he was signed by them before his death.

As Coffer said, and as has been stated numerous times in this thread. The people who have backed Ericssons whole career, got him in to F1, saved Caterham when they were in desperate need of money, and so on. Are now the owners of Sauber. It's a tricky mess with different documents, papers, owners, companies and so on. But basically, the guys behind Longbow, are the same guys that worked with Ericsson from his start in formula racing, but they then had a different company to just handle the Ericsson business.

It's not like Diniz who used his own family money, then bought in to Prost, but decided to not get involved in driving.

I think he's a driver who has improved beyond recognition from 2014. Had the beating of Nasr last year, showing he does deserve to be in F1 - just that his teammate deserves to be higher up the grid. Battling with Wehrlein in most races, so deserves a 6 in my opinion.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back