F1 Half Term Report: Rate the Grid - Kevin Magnussen

6. He's been fast, often better than his teammate, though he has had a lot of bad luck on days when the Haas is fast enough to score points. He needs to avoid getting in incidents on better days, and he'll probably out do his teammate by the end of this season.

I Dont get Why so many think its bad to have tough drivers who are not afraid of speaking their opinion. I Think this is exactly What we need in sports in general. Everything is so polished and f1 drivers and footballers all Sound like lawyers afraid of saying a wrong word. I like this better. Like the incident with hulkenberg. Kevin said straight out that if hulk tries a move like that again he Will end up in the same place - the Grass. At least you know What he stands for instead of all this lawyer talk where you know they are just saying What ppl expect of Them.

Can you say -- FIA paints drivers how they want people to perceive them? Because, apparently it works. Thought you were talking about Max Verstappen there for a while. :roflmao: Almost changed my "8" vote. :laugh: Second guess was Nico Rosberg, or the track thugs that patrol the paddock, making it about as accessible as a McLaren P1.

K-Mag was the recipient of probably the worst "penalty" I have ever witnessed in racing. You can almost see the discussion among bureaucrats, which produces nothing, and is full of sound and fury, but no consistency.
As i pointed out i got my eyes on this guy since 2014, so it's not a new thing, it's not because of his most recent "position defense", that's just another one in many...
Which one are you reffering as the worst penalty ever? It's hard to keep track.

For me the worst thing is how he keeps getting away with blocking and weaving like crazy down the straights, because people usually lift when they see a guy shoving a car in their direction at over 300 KM/H it ends up as a "crashless" dirty move and doesn't go into investigation...
That's the FIA for you they punish the results not the action.

When he came back i was waiting to see if he could/had changed, he was a rookie, maybe he was over eager... but he hasn't changed, he has shown no willingness to change, so yeah that's it for me.

Verstappen is borderline, he's always walking the line, doesn't wanna lose any dispute (some might call him sore loser lol), but even when he gets way wrong like he did in Hungary it's because he lost control of the car, not he deciding to intentionally throw another guy out, that's the difference between an aggressive driver and a dirty one.

If Magnussen gets an 8 what do the actual talented drivers get 13?

Last edited:
For me the worst thing is how he keeps getting away with blocking and weaving like crazy down the straights
Who hasn't gotten away with that so far this season? I don't see you complaining about Perez and Verstappen - in fact, by saying the latter's driving is borderline and actually trying to defend him, you're showing just how ridiculous your argument is, lacking any basis in reality.

If Magnussen gets an 8 what do the actual talented drivers get 13?
Vettel should, indeed, get a 12+ for what he's done this season. The car gap is huge yet he's leading the championship on merit and he's bounced back spectacularly from 2016. And to imply that Magnussen isn't talented is to, once again, be ridiculous.

Last edited:
Who hasn't gotten away with that so far this season? I don't see you complaining about Perez and Verstappen - in fact, by saying his borderline and actually trying to defend him, you're showing just how ridiculous your argument is, lacking any basis in reality.

Vettel should, indeed, get a 12+ for what he's done this season. The car gap is huge yet he's leading the championship on merit.
Why don't you wait for their respective threads?
BTW i don't think Verstappen is dirty, over aggressive to the point of crossing the line at times? Yeah, absolutely.
Magnussen however is a straight scumbag who thows people off intentionally.

Why don't you wait for their respective threads?
You were the one who brought up Verstappen as some sort of shining beacon of aggressive greatness relative to Magnussen's filthy driving, after all. And you're out of your mind if you think that drivers shouldn't be compared to others without waiting for the other drivers' threads. None of them are driving in a vacuum like it's a time trial session in Assetto Corsa or something.

BTW i don't think Verstappen is dirty
Then what you think is flat-out wrong. Your last two statements combined are absolutely hilarious. Your bias is showing.

You were the one who brought up Verstappen as some sort of shining beacon of aggressive greatness relative to Magnussen's filthy driving, after all. And you're out of your mind if you think that drivers shouldn't be compared to others without waiting for the other drivers' threads. None of them are driving in a vacuum like it's a time trial session in Assetto Corsa or something.

Then what you think is flat-out wrong. Your last two statements combined are absolutely hilarious. Your bias is showing.

I brought up Verstappen because the guy i was arguing before you mentioned him, i said why i don't consider it the same thing, one is pushing the limits (and should be punished harshly when he exceeds said limits) the other does intentionally(emphasis on intentionally) malicious moves.

Verstappen didn't set out to barge into Ricciardo, yet he did, it was completely his fault and he should be punished for it, bad aggression should be punished, i don't know if he got penalty points in addition to the 10s but he should.

Magnussen on the other hand simply decided he was going to shove Hulkenberg out of the track, he didn't lose control, he simply made a conscious choice of putting somebody out, this conscious choice is the difference between aggressive driving and dirty driving.

To me, behaviour should be punishable if a driver is putting other drivers in situations where they DO NOT have a choice. As long as other drivers have the opportunity to back out, bring it on.

For me, Kevin brings some life to the paddock. He's not the only driver who does, but he does. I know I'm biased but to say Kevin has got no talent would imply that Romain Grosjean is not much of a driver either, a GP winner after all...

My two cents.
Cheers

Magnussen on the other hand simply decided he was going to shove Hulkenberg out of the track, he didn't lose control, he simply made a conscious choice of putting somebody out, this conscious choice is the difference between aggressive driving and dirty driving.

Hulkenberg could have liftet on the gaspedal.

5. Not as bad as he's been painted and scored points for his team.
His 'Dirty Driving' is nothing compared to certain members of higher ranked teams.

I just happen to think a clean battle like Alonso and Sainz had at the same corner is much more exciting than a dirty scumbag pushing someone out, but you guys will stick out for your country man no matter what, so it's a useless discussion.
Lol, sure I'm biased towards Kevin. That however doesn't change my opinion on how I like to race and how I like to watch racing. IMO if you call Sainz and Alonso battle clean, then I can't see how the other isn't clean. The only difference is that Alonso went onto tarmac, and Hulkenberg went onto grass. In both cases they were pushed wide, and in both cases they had the option to back out.

Lol, sure I'm biased towards Kevin. That however doesn't change my opinion on how I like to race and how I like to watch racing. IMO if you call Sainz and Alonso battle clean, then I can't see how the other isn't clean. The only difference is that Alonso went onto tarmac, and Hulkenberg went onto grass. In both cases they were pushed wide, and in both cases they had the option to back out.

Look at the line Sainz takes at 2:25(same thing between Ericsson and Werhlein later on), he's the guy on the inside and he respects the fact that there's a car alongside him, now compare it to the line Magnussen took. Magnussen failed to respect the car alongside him and that's why he was correctly punished.

Also back out to where since Magnussen (who suppousedly was the guy on the inside) went all the way to the white line? This is happening mid corner Hulkenberg can't simply hit the brakes anytime he wants.

Not to mention forcing a guy to hit the brakes unnecessarily is a universally recognized dirty tactic even if you don't, and dirty strong arming tactics never made for good fair racing.

Look at the line Sainz takes at 2:25(same thing between Ericsson and Werhlein later on), he's the guy on the inside and he respects the fact that there's a car alongside him, now compare it to the line Magnussen took. Magnussen failed to respect the car alongside him and that's why he was correctly punished.

Also back out to where since Magnussen (who suppousedly was the guy on the inside) went all the way to the white line? This is happening mid corner Hulkenberg can't simply hit the brakes anytime he wants.

Not to mention forcing a guy to hit the brakes unnecessarily is a universally recognized dirty tactic even if you don't, and dirty strong arming tactics never made for good fair racing.

We're not discussing wether Magnussen pushed Hulkenberg wide or not. Ofcourse he did. What I'm saying is that Hulkenberg is as much at fault for the incident as Magnussen. He could've braked and slotted in behind him again, yet he tries to stick it around the outside, and guess what, magnussen punished him for it. That's the risk you run when going for a move like that. The fact that Sainz and Ericsson didn't defend like Magnussen did, probably boils down to them believing they'd be faster on the inside. Magnussen realised he wouldn't be and defended accordingly. In turn 1 Sainz did the same thing by clearly opening up the steering and pushing Alonso off of the track :) As I mentioned, same manouver, different corner. Had there been grass on the outside of T1, maybe Alonso would've recognized and hit the brakes :)

And to say Hulkenberg couldn't brake is BS, ofcourse he could.

Dirty driving always create for interresting racing :) And an even more interresting aftershow :D

We're not discussing wether Magnussen pushed Hulkenberg wide or not. Ofcourse he did. What I'm saying is that Hulkenberg is as much at fault for the incident as Magnussen. He could've braked and slotted in behind him again, yet he tries to stick it around the outside, and guess what, magnussen punished him for it. That's the risk you run when going for a move like that. The fact that Sainz and Ericsson didn't defend like Magnussen did, probably boils down to them believing they'd be faster on the inside. Magnussen realised he wouldn't be and defended accordingly. In turn 1 Sainz did the same thing by clearly opening up the steering and pushing Alonso off of the track :) As I mentioned, same manouver, different corner. Had there been grass on the outside of T1, maybe Alonso would've recognized and hit the brakes :)

And to say Hulkenberg couldn't brake is BS, ofcourse he could.

Dirty driving always create for interresting racing :) And an even more interresting aftershow :D

Hulkenberg tried to do a clean overtake around the outside and dirty scumbag Magnussen pushed him out, how is he at fault?
Alonso went around the outside of Sainz, Werhlein went around the outside Ericsson, a couple of years back Ricciardo went around the outside of Hamilton on that very corner on the way to the race victory, it's a normal racing move unless the guy infront is a dirty scumbag, what's your point here? Hulkenberg is suppoused to know Magnussen is scumbag and just slot behind him because any attempt he makes he's gonna get a scumbag manouver in return? How is that good racing?

You are in a simracing website, fire up a sim and smash the brakes midcorner while you are steering into the corner and see what happens.

There's a reason Magnussen got punished for that, it's because that's not position defense that's straight up dirty driving, and btw defending dirty driving and talking like it's normal makes you just as much of a scumbag as your fellow countryman in my book.

If all you can say is "dirty driving is cool", i think it's time for you to stop bothering me since you can't add anything to a discussion.

Hulkenberg tried to do a clean overtake around the outside and dirty scumbag Magnussen pushed him out, how is he at fault?
Alonso went around the outside of Sainz, Werhlein went around the outside Ericsson, a couple of years back Ricciardo went around the outside of Hamilton on that very corner on the way to the race victory, it's a normal racing move unless the guy infront is a dirty scumbag, what's your point here? Hulkenberg is suppoused to know Magnussen is scumbag and just slot behind him because any attempt he makes he's gonna get a scumbag manouver in return? How is that good racing?

You are in a simracing website, fire up a sim and smash the brakes midcorner while you are steering into the corner and see what happens.

There's a reason Magnussen got punished for that, it's because that's not position defense that's straight up dirty driving, and btw defending dirty driving and talking like it's normal makes you just as much of a scumbag as your fellow countryman in my book.

If all you can say is "dirty driving is cool", i think it's time for you to stop bothering me since you can't add anything to a discussion.

Indeed we are on a simracing website, and for sure you can hit the brakes mid-corner..... if you know what you're doing..... And as we're talking f1 drivers, I think they might have a clue. You're obviously sad that your favourite german didn't get to finish the race and look to blame Magnussen for that.

I like the way you say I'm bothering you. If you're bothered by people reacting and replying to your messages in an open forum, what are you doing here then? :)

Anyway, lets end it because you obviously do not want to recognise what I'm saying. You get to keep your opinion, and I get to keep mine.

Cheers bud, was fun while it lasted! :thumbsup:

Indeed we are on a simracing website, and for sure you can hit the brakes mid-corner..... if you know what you're doing..... And as we're talking f1 drivers, I think they might have a clue. You're obviously sad that your favourite german didn't get to finish the race and look to blame Magnussen for that.

I like the way you say I'm bothering you. If you're bothered by people reacting and replying to your messages in an open forum, what are you doing here then? :)

Anyway, lets end it because you obviously do not want to recognise what I'm saying. You get to keep your opinion, and I get to keep mine.

Cheers bud, was fun while it lasted! :thumbsup:

Yeah, if you wanna spin...
Not to mention it's not Magnussen's right to force anyone to brake for him, luckly the stewards also see it this way.

Hulkenberg's race was already ruined by the Renault mechanics, to me it's just another display of shitty Magnussen behaviour (of which there are many examples).
It's cute that you assume i'm attached to Hulkenberg, since you are very obviously blind in love with that also ran in a Haas, the guy who got booted out of Mclaren and lost his Renault seat to Hulkenberg.

Yeah idiocy annoys me what can i say, here and everywhere, you talk like you are a reality show fanatic.

Oh and suck my balls honey!!!

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back