Alright when was that again.....?

Ah yes, Third Generation Fittipaldi, aka Fittipaldi v3.0. He'll do well with the three letter abbreviation TGF. Nice to see a new face in the paddock.

Makes sense they would give it to their test driver, although I must say that Fittipaldi's junior career hasn't really been anything mind blowing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BP
I went for Albon, he managed to get a result that was fitting of his car. Even if he'd just gotten 4th it would have been a good race. RB are giving him a lot of opportunity to come good.

I don't see why Grosjean would get votes, he managed to split his car in half and set the part without fuel and engine on fire.
How many seconds behind his team mate?

Horrific crash which reminded me of Cevert in 1973... same kind of crach, very different outcome (Cevert died beheaded by the rail and burned to charcoal)!!! F1 has indeed done progress in security, even if Romain did have a guardian angel for this one, the high Gs shock could have easily knocked him down... Lucky indeed!

For me Perez was the driver of the race... so unlucky but what a race. Last time, lots of posters did forget Charles amazing p18 to p2 which means that lots are very biased in their choice unfortunately...

About Romain as driver of the day... I am ok with that... I watched so many good drivers and often dear ones die since the late 70 that when one cheats death like this, it is always an empathic moment to rejoice. Imagine if Halos and titanium cage were available in 94 at Imola...

Last edited:
A new driver, Fittipaldi, in his first F1 start on "...The hastily scheduled Sakhir Grand Prix, a new layout in use for the first time with Grand Prix cars this coming weekend."

What could go wrong? Hope I'm wrong, but I am concerned...

I told this joke just before the beginning of the F1 race in Bahrain. I feel a bit odd about it now. Anyway, here it goes:

Romain Grosjean was searching in the Haas garage one day when he came across an old oil lamp. He rubbed it eagerly and as he hoped, a genie appeared. The genie announced in a deep and lustrous voice, "I am the genie of the lamp. You are permitted three wishes, but before you say a word I need to warn you there are three rules. First rule: I can't make anyone love you. Second rule: I cannot kill anyone for you and finally: I cannot give you eternal life."
Grosjean thought for a moment and asked, "I would like to have an incident free first lap in Bahrain."
The genie looked worried and in a more timid voice said, "Actually, there are four rules....."

A couple of minutes later I felt a bit queezy!

Last edited:
Horrific crash which reminded me of Cevert in 1973... same kind of crach, very different outcome (Cevert died beheaded by the rail and burned to charcoal)!!! F1 has indeed done progress in security, even if Romain did have a guardian angel for this one, the high Gs shock could have easily knocked him down... Lucky indeed!

For me Perez was the driver of the race... so unlucky but what a race. Last time, lots of posters did forget Charles amazing p18 to p2 which means that lots are very biased in their choice unfortunately...

About Romain as driver of the day... I am ok with that... I watched so many good drivers and often dear ones die since the late 70 that when one cheats death like this, it is always an empathic moment to rejoice. Imagine if Halos and titanium cage were available in 94 at Imola...
On SkyF1 a question was asked which I frequently ask, why can we not vote for the safety-car and medical car drivers as driver of the day.

Last edited:
Oh well..... just another fellow classic cars guy, who seems to become yet another hater of me. Just another day... I am making friends successfully.

Oh yeah you are right about the piece of debris, but I don't think it had that much of influence. To me the situation looks more like attempt to overtake or get into better position. Because there were other ways to avoid contact, like actually braking and not turning into someone by the side. It wasn't best decision to keep on accelerating and trying to squeeze through. Also the whole manoeuvre took more than a fraction of a second.

Senna crash is totally irrelevant argument. There is nothing in common with this subject. Also Petersons accident is also different subject, I have not said anything about those, and you just using your fantasy creating an unfair imaginable argument.

Listen. I don't care what the most people do. It does not affect me. It is obvious that the crash was very dramatic, and a miracle happened that it did not become a tragedy. The point is that driver of the day should be about performance, good sportsmanship. Everybody with clear mind would rate Grosjean negatively in that aspect. Yet the sympathy for him surviving is driving votes, but that has nothing to do with sport, it is a plot thing. But that is not surprising because I wonder how much this sport is actually driven by the plot and how much by actual sport reasons. F1 has become mini reality TV project.

You are being very rude telling me that I have an empty head, and that I don't matter anymore, call me b*******.... At this point it does in fact apply to you, you are being very irrational, and I partially regret for replying to you as it is obviously going nowhere at this point. Our perceptions are clearly very different, and so are our intelligence levels.

You are probably right about this.

Braking would probably be dangerous as well,

What you have written in the second paragraph... some parts... that's it for me as well. To avoid contact into getting a better position.

Senna and Peterson arguments are not irrelevant. You told Grosjean crash was caused of his driving style. By that logic, Senna could it be for you and Peterson probably are. Peterson and Grosjean's crash are very similar, with the sad difference Peterson died.

The objective fact is that driver of the day is (which is different than a should be) used for point a driver because of something remarkable (most of the time). The biggest win that Formula One had today is having Grosjean surviving. I can agree with what you say about what Driver of the Day should be for, but fans have their own criteria. As I pointed before, there is nothing written. The difference between what should be and what is it.

My rudeness has been proportional to your cynicism. Nothing more. If there is a next time but you quote me and is just a regular answer, probably I could write the samepolite way.

I can understand you blaming Grosjean, but to say that Formula 1 fans encourage him to be fast because we like to see aggressive drivers who tend to cause these types of accidents or who vote him as a driver of the day because they like to see humans simply leaping out of the fire, out of destroyed car and then comment above that the Spa accident (which was objectively Grosjean's fault) is probably the reason why the halo has been implanted (to put more weeds) is not only ugly, even psychopathic.

Imagine telling something like your second comment to a relative from Grosjean. You wouldn't care at all, I know, but imagine it. What would they think of you? Well, probably something similar that I think of you: what atrocity are you saying? But who do you think you are? If you were punched, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Or maybe in the future Grosjean talks about the crash and tells that it was his fault. In that case, great for you, and I am will be honestly sorry for my rudeness. At the moment, I see it as a racing incident where I cannot pinpoint culprits.

Oh well..... just another fellow classic cars guy, who seems to become yet another hater of me. Just another day... I am making friends successfully.

I think there is a difference between telling that your comment is disgusting and answer in consequence, and seeing me as someone who hates you. Too short-sighted, like people who see Austin Ogonoski as a mere troll in this community. My bad impression of your comment and what I saw about you doesn't define you. Or yes? It shouldn't and I don't think so. On the other hand, you don't know me at all; that makes you irrelevant to me, just as I am irrelevant to you. This specific part of your comment is probably showing a projection of yourself. That need of telling in the first place that you are used to making haters (by arguing) and that you make friends successfully...

(?!)

Take care, I guess.

Last edited:
BertramRaven
I am ok with that too... The medical team and marshals were amazing... but do not forget it was the first lap with the safety car behind them... few laps later maybe it would have been a very different story.

Last edited:
How cynical are some people?

Of COURSE Grosjean is the sentimental DOD pick. And sometimes that is absolutely okay. Having an overwhelming number of people voting for him Sunday was a show of love and appreciation from the racing fan community.

I doubt highly there would be amateur scrutineering if it were another driver. Before this, Grosjean was a meme for a lot of people - the goofy-looking guy who wrecks, takes crazy risks and whinges on the radio. Hell, I'm not a fan of his personality as a driver. But there's another side he shows on Instagram. He's funny, unpretentious, a family man. He also was pure butter at times for Lotus. There are a lot of more popular drivers with fewer podiums.

He just may be cleared to race for the finale. And guess what? If he has the unbelievable balls to climb into his car and finish his career on his terms, I'd vote for him again.

Makes sense they would give it to their test driver, although I must say that Fittipaldi's junior career hasn't really been anything mind blowing.

He was the last (and probably the biggest) benefactor of the Formula V3.5 loophole in Super Licence points. As the FIA didn't react to that championship losing support and quality after Renault pulled out.

The 2016 season was a sign of what was to come, it went from a championship full of F1 juniors and talents (and Robert Mehri even combined a part-time Formula Renault 3.5 season with his Manor F1 season in 2015!), to a championship with hopefuls that never really had shown signs of greatness. But Tom Dillman and Louis Deletraz did well in 2016. Deletraz and Fittipaldi being teammates, saw Deletraz fight for the title, ending 2nd right behind Dillmann, while Fittipaldi ended 10th, right ahead of Alfonso Celis jr, but behind drivers like Rene Binder and a part-time Matevos Isaakyan(!).

Fittipaldi won it in it's last year though, but with only 8 full-time drivers, 15 throughout the season and never a grid with more than 12 cars, it was a poor season, even Tatiana Calderon scored a podium in her sole weekend that year. But the title gave Fittipaldi 35 SuperLicence points!

Even though Fittipaldi got 35 out of 40 points in 2017. He wasn't able to get his last 5 points until he did the Asian F3 in the 19/20 winter. A championship where he ended 5th, solidly behind Jamie Chadwick, who, while she won the W Series, hasn't ever looked like F1 material either.

Anyway, I like that Haas are actually bringing out a reserve driver, and not do the typical F1 style the last year. Where teams have reserves contracted but ending up using other drivers.
I do however wish they had gone for Louis Deletraz, as he is also contracted to Haas as a test/reserve driver, he has done F2, are used to Pirellis and have arguably done better in jr.formulas than Fittipaldi.

IMHO... For the 'Grosjean did it again' crowd... maybe I am wrong but from the explanation from an official video of F1 youtube channel, it seems it wasn't intentional,. On one the slow motion replay, there was a piece from another car coming right to Grosjean's right front tire just before the sharp steer to the right....

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 299 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing