RD Series on Simracing.GP

Daily WTCR races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Endurance races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT4 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP

F1 | Haas Confirms Third Generation Fittipaldi To Replace Grosjean In Bahrain

Paul Jeffrey

RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief
Staff
Premium
Haas F1 have confirmed that test and reserve driver Pietro Fittipaldi will represent the team at the upcoming Sakhir Grand Prix, replacing Romain Grosjean following his fiery accident on Sunday.

Fittipaldi, 24, is the grandson of three-time Formula One World Champion Emerson, and has been in place at the Haas F1 team as reserve driver this year following part season endeavours in IndyCar, WEC and DTM in recent seasons, and will make a long awaited debut in the top flight of motorsport at the hastily scheduled Sakhir Grand Prix, a new layout in use for the first time with Grand Prix cars this coming weekend.

“Most importantly I’m happy Romain is safe and healthy. We’re all very happy his injuries are relatively minor after such a huge incident" said Fittipaldi of his confirmation at Haas.​

“Obviously, it’s not an ideal set of circumstances to get my first opportunity to compete in Formula 1, but I’m extremely grateful to Gene Haas and Guenther Steiner for their faith in putting me behind the wheel this weekend. I’ve been with the team a lot this season, both trackside and working on simulator sessions, so I’m familiar with the team’s operating procedures on a grand prix weekend. It’s going to be exciting to make my first career start in Formula 1 – I’ll be giving it my all and I look forward to starting in free practice on Friday in Bahrain.” added the 24-year-old Brazilian.​

Fittipaldi Middle.jpg

Although Grosjean did will to escape serious injury on Sunday afternoon, the team have elected to rest the French driver for "at least the next race" while he recovers from burns to the back of his hands. With Grosjean and Haas parting ways at the end of the season to make way for an all new line up in the American team, it remains to be seen if the seven time podium finisher returns to the cockpit at all, or if we've seen the end of a career that promised so much.

For F1 news and chat, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and get involved in the action today!

Fittipaldi Header.jpg

Chris Down

Premium
Ah yes, Third Generation Fittipaldi, aka Fittipaldi v3.0. He'll do well with the three letter abbreviation TGF. Nice to see a new face in the paddock.

Makes sense they would give it to their test driver, although I must say that Fittipaldi's junior career hasn't really been anything mind blowing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BP
A new driver, Fittipaldi, in his first F1 start on "...The hastily scheduled Sakhir Grand Prix, a new layout in use for the first time with Grand Prix cars this coming weekend."

What could go wrong? Hope I'm wrong, but I am concerned...

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
Makes sense they would give it to their test driver, although I must say that Fittipaldi's junior career hasn't really been anything mind blowing.

He was the last (and probably the biggest) benefactor of the Formula V3.5 loophole in Super Licence points. As the FIA didn't react to that championship losing support and quality after Renault pulled out.

The 2016 season was a sign of what was to come, it went from a championship full of F1 juniors and talents (and Robert Mehri even combined a part-time Formula Renault 3.5 season with his Manor F1 season in 2015!), to a championship with hopefuls that never really had shown signs of greatness. But Tom Dillman and Louis Deletraz did well in 2016. Deletraz and Fittipaldi being teammates, saw Deletraz fight for the title, ending 2nd right behind Dillmann, while Fittipaldi ended 10th, right ahead of Alfonso Celis jr, but behind drivers like Rene Binder and a part-time Matevos Isaakyan(!).

Fittipaldi won it in it's last year though, but with only 8 full-time drivers, 15 throughout the season and never a grid with more than 12 cars, it was a poor season, even Tatiana Calderon scored a podium in her sole weekend that year. But the title gave Fittipaldi 35 SuperLicence points!

Even though Fittipaldi got 35 out of 40 points in 2017. He wasn't able to get his last 5 points until he did the Asian F3 in the 19/20 winter. A championship where he ended 5th, solidly behind Jamie Chadwick, who, while she won the W Series, hasn't ever looked like F1 material either.

Anyway, I like that Haas are actually bringing out a reserve driver, and not do the typical F1 style the last year. Where teams have reserves contracted but ending up using other drivers.
I do however wish they had gone for Louis Deletraz, as he is also contracted to Haas as a test/reserve driver, he has done F2, are used to Pirellis and have arguably done better in jr.formulas than Fittipaldi.

good for him (even if I do not particularly like Granpa/Daddy's Grand Son/son of legendary drivers coming to F1 mostly on their famous name)... let see what he can do next week...

Last edited:
For a second, I thought Haas would call Hulkenberg to the rescue! :D

All kidding aside, why not Fittipaldi? This will be a pointless race for Haas anyway. They're not fighting for a podium or even a place in the constructors' championship. And the Ferrari-powered teams will be massively disadvantaged on that track layout. So let's give a drive to the kid, why not?

Daniel Monteiro

Staff
Premium
He was the last (and probably the biggest) benefactor of the Formula V3.5 loophole in Super Licence points. As the FIA didn't react to that championship losing support and quality after Renault pulled out.

The 2016 season was a sign of what was to come, it went from a championship full of F1 juniors and talents (and Robert Mehri even combined a part-time Formula Renault 3.5 season with his Manor F1 season in 2015!), to a championship with hopefuls that never really had shown signs of greatness. But Tom Dillman and Louis Deletraz did well in 2016. Deletraz and Fittipaldi being teammates, saw Deletraz fight for the title, ending 2nd right behind Dillmann, while Fittipaldi ended 10th, right ahead of Alfonso Celis jr, but behind drivers like Rene Binder and a part-time Matevos Isaakyan(!).

Fittipaldi won it in it's last year though, but with only 8 full-time drivers, 15 throughout the season and never a grid with more than 12 cars, it was a poor season, even Tatiana Calderon scored a podium in her sole weekend that year. But the title gave Fittipaldi 35 SuperLicence points!

Even though Fittipaldi got 35 out of 40 points in 2017. He wasn't able to get his last 5 points until he did the Asian F3 in the 19/20 winter. A championship where he ended 5th, solidly behind Jamie Chadwick, who, while she won the W Series, hasn't ever looked like F1 material either.

Anyway, I like that Haas are actually bringing out a reserve driver, and not do the typical F1 style the last year. Where teams have reserves contracted but ending up using other drivers.
I do however wish they had gone for Louis Deletraz, as he is also contracted to Haas as a test/reserve driver, he has done F2, are used to Pirellis and have arguably done better in jr.formulas than Fittipaldi.

Money :)