Alright when was that again.....?

All this nonsense about drivers.....who is best and who is not....it's a pointless discussion and the comments in this section are sometimes just fanboy nonsense. Russel did very well but his performance in the Merc so far is as expected as it is by far the best car on the grid, nothing new or unexpected in that regard. I still find him overrated as a driver, not saying he isn't very good, just saying he is not exceptional (I still do not see it). The Merc was fastest in a single lap last week, so it is fastest in a single lap this week. However I did expect Bottas to be on top of him, but apparently his mental state is worse than I thought...2021 will undoubtedly be his last year in a Merc.

F1 after the turbo age of the eighties is 1 TEAMSPORT like no other sport, a driver cant even start his car without a 20 person team to do so; comparing drivers of different teams is therefore pretty pointless, they can only be compared against teammates and even that is disputable (because of the intra team hierarchy, look at Schumacher, Hamilton, Alonso, Senna to name a few who were CLEARLY favoured within their teams). Drivers are just one person of a (in for example Merc's case) 1200 member team, it's silly to state they are the ones who are the decisive factor and what makes a car fast. Drivers especially in the current hybrid era are such a very small component, in race mode they just "run the program" as everything is being calculated in advance and managed in real time at the factory in a control room that literally dwarfes NASA's Houston Control of the Apollo Moon landing project... Energy deployment, tyre management, fuel management...all is managed and controlled in real time, all drivers have to do is execute the program.

In the end the main thing that sets a driver apart from the rest is consistency (making the least errors in a race and let the car perform near to 100% over a race distance), leadership and risk analysis (shown in racecraft), all the rest is purely down to the car. Taking this into consideration in 2020 there are two drivers that stand head and shoulders above the rest of the field based on these three factors and those two are Verstappen and Hamilton, fanboy or hater, no discussion about that because those two are (among the drivers) the two top alpha males in the paddock, and are mentally the strongest and fittest. Both have the ability to drive the car closest to 100% (consistency), take control over the decision making during race (leadership) and know when to take a risk or not (risk analysis). Leclerc, Ricciardo and Perez also have shown this in 2020 but are behind on the leadership component as displayed by VER & HAM imo.
you can't hide your bias.. all fans of a driver have bias and it always shows.. that's why your first sentence is accurate, in that, ""it's a pointless discussion""... in F1 fandom, just like in football-team fandom, there is NO impartiality

I can't imagine Bottas not running away with it. I think if Russell can keep it close, it will be a great showing for him. Bottas has 4 years with the team/car, that will be a lot of ground for Russell to make up in a weekend.

It'll be fun to see something a bit different in terms of the track, but I have a suspicion the race may prove to be really boring.
Bottas was faster but it is hard to keep on track here. The track is smooth so it is easy to drift off into track limits. Botas did this and got time canceled. Mentaly you are driving the other circit so the mid thinks you are going into the infield whitch you are bypassing. You have to eliminate de ja vu and treat it as a new track.

Actually, the (outer loop) track is not smooth, its bumpy especially where Bottas went off and destroyed his floor and the asphalt is rough. The reason the track is slippery in places is because of sand blown in from the desert, horrible tires and drivers destroying cars from bumps and kerbs.
The track limit crap that has been going on for ages now is easily solved with gravel, but nooooooo, thats unsafe... :poop:

Last edited:
Well after seeing Mazepin race in F2 today I can safely say that a spoiled, untalented russian race car driver with loads of daddy money results in a lethal combination that will kill someone someday. Haas, if you can only exist in F1 because of money from idiots like that, I'd rather not see you in F1 at all.

Sorry for the rant, but **** I hate paydrivers.

This place cracks me up sometimes :p
It is certainly good what russell has done so far in practice, but it is far too early to claim he's be better for mercedes than botass.
A practice session is not a race - if he is able to maintain pace for 2 hours and get on the podium or win the GP then we'll see.

Even then, there have been some "one hit wonders" who do well for a race and then fail to consistently produce decent results.

Mimimi. You should go back and take a look at the races. It was you who claimed to have watched F1 since the 70s and yet fail to name a significant world champion. Where did you watch F1 since the 70s? On Wikipedia?

Just admit it already. You're a Hamiliton fanboy and can't accept Russel's performance in that same Merc. You're coping, lmao, you're name is literally "CopeF1".

View attachment 424494
Picture related.

Wow, so much arrogance, and ignorance in one post. I love the fact that you don't know me, don't know anything about me, but are so willing to assume things that you really have no idea about.

Agreed, but here we have a back of the field driver now top in 2 sessions..

Now we can say that the William's was holding him back or the Merc is making him look better...

Either way the ultimate parts of those answers are...the car....

Not every driver could do what Russell has done...but every driver could improve their times in the Merc....Fact..

It proves the advantage the Merc has, and it proves that Lewis couldn't do what he has done over the last few seasons without the Merc dominance or a subservient team mate.

Frankly anyone who can't see that, isn't worth wasting time with..

Bottas now has a very good CV thanks to Merc, had Nico of stayed on till now Bottas would have won nothing had no poles...so really he needs to give his head a wobble and realise how lucky he is...

I would like to see a bit more of a test for winning the WDC and not have rivers going 85%.

This is how F1 has always been. Would Senna have won so many poles and races if he was in an Osella, instead of the McLaren? Would Schumacher have won so many races if he was in a Minardi, instead of a Ferrari? I don't understand why this is a revelation to anyone.

Just saw the F2 race with Mazepin... looks like we are in for some fine racing ethics in 2021...
Some dangerous blocking going on.... but hey: daddy pays the way.

I hope I am wrong, but this Bahrain layout seems to me to be dangerous. A very short lap on a very high speed circuit. It's not a good mix. See Las Vegas 2011.

I hope the race goes well on Sunday.

It's clear agian, that this is more about the cars, not the driver especially. Russel as fast as Bottas, that is in Q as fast as Hamilton... Russel is not considered exceptional, neither does Bottas. Wonder how this look for Hamilton.

Last edited:
you can't hide your bias.. all fans of a driver have bias and it always shows.. that's why your first sentence is accurate, in that, ""it's a pointless discussion""... in F1 fandom, just like in football-team fandom, there is NO impartiality
Try reading your own posts before you accuse other people of bias. All people who dont like certain drivers are biased too. Their bias is just negative.

Last edited:
It's clear agian, that this is more about the cars, not the driver especially. Russel as fast as Bottas, that is in Q as fast as Hamilton... Russel is not considered exceptional, neither does Bottas. Wonder how this look for Hamilton.
Another monkey can do the job in the Rocketship
Propably the worst track ever to make those kind of conclusions and comparison between the drivers.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back