F1 | Haas confirm Schumacher and Mazepin for 2021 lineup

Haas F1 team have this week announced their 2021 driver lineup of Mick Schumacher and Nikita Mazepin.
  • It was announced towards the end of November that current drivers Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen would be leaving the American outift.
  • On Tuesday morning they confirmed that one seat would be filled by Russian driver, Nikita Mazepin who sits 3rd in the Formula 2 standings.
  • Today the team announced that leader of the F2 category and title favourite, Mick Schumacher would fill the remaining seat with the team.
This week Haas ended weeks of speculation over their 2021 lineup, having announced last month that they would field an all new lineup. The rookie pairing are both enjoying very strong campaigns in the Formula 2 feeder category, with Schumacher leading the series and Mazepin placed third having won two races.

Schumacher and Mazepin, both 21 years of age have signed "multi-year agreements" with Haas F1 after impressing this season. Their Team Principal, Gunther Steiner was very complimentary of both signings in his announcements:

“I’m delighted that Nikita Mazepin will be driving for Haas F1 Team next season,” stated Guenther Steiner, Team Principal of Haas F1 Team.
“Nikita has underlined his credentials in Formula 2 this year with a brace of victories and a handful of podiums in what’s been a strong sophomore season for him. He’s developed into a mature racer moving up through the junior ranks – notably most recently in the GP3 Series, where he finished runner-up in 2018, and obviously in Formula 2 over the past two seasons."
“I’m very pleased that we’re able to confirm Mick Schumacher in our driver lineup for next season and I look forward to welcoming him into the team,” stated Guenther Steiner, Team Principal of Haas F1 Team.
“The Formula 2 Championship has long served as a proving ground for talent to showcase their credentials and this year’s field has undoubtedly been one of the most competitive in recent seasons. Mick has won races, collected podiums and excelled against some pretty exceptional talent in 2020."
Mazepin.jpg

Nikita Mazepin's single seater career started in Formula Renault 2.0, completing two seasons before a stint in the FIA Formula 3 European Championship, which led to his participation in the GP3 Series in 2018.

Mazepin finished the 2018 GP3 season as runner-up to the late Anthoine Hubert, before graduating to Formula 2 in 2019. His two race wins and consistent performances this season have moved him up into 3rd in the championship, behind Ferrari junior, Callum Ilott and his teammate of next season. The Russian commented on his promotion to Formula One:

“Becoming a Formula 1 driver is a lifelong dream come true for me.
"I really appreciate the trust being put in me by Gene Haas, Guenther Steiner, and the whole of the team. They’re giving a young driver an opportunity and I thank them for that.
"I’m looking forward to starting our relationship together, both on and off the track, and I’m naturally keen to continue to demonstrate my abilities after a strong Formula 2 season."

Schumacher.jpg

Mick Schumacher, son of seven-time world champion, Michael Schumacher began his single-seater career in 2015 with his participation in German Formula 4. He went on to win the European Formula 3 championship in 2018 with an impressive eight victories.

The Ferrari junior driver made his F1 debut during a test at Bahrain, driving for both Ferrari and Alfa Romeo. Schumacher had the following to say about his confirmation as a Haas driver:

“The prospect of being on the Formula 1 grid next year makes me incredibly happy and I’m simply speechless.
“I would like to thank Haas F1 Team, Scuderia Ferrari and the Ferrari Driver Academy for placing their trust in me. I also want to acknowledge and extend my love to my parents – I know that I owe them everything. I have always believed that I would realize my dream of Formula 1.
"A huge thank you must also go to all the great motorsport fans out there who have supported me throughout my career. I will give it my all, as I always do, and I look forward to going on this journey together with Haas F1 and them.”
The announcements by Haas mean that only three seats are left unfilled for 2021. Mercedes, Red Bull and AlphaTauri each have one seat available as we head into the penultimate race weekend of the current season.

It is widely expected that Mercedes will retain Lewis Hamilton, although contract talks have supposedly not started as yet.

Meanwhile it looks likely that Max Verstappen's teammate at Red Bull will either be Alexander Albon, who currently has the seat, or Sergio Perez who is currently without a drive for next season, despite commanding 5th in the championship having missed a race through illness.

Finally, AlphaTauri are yet to announce whether they will continue with Daniil Kvyat, or offer a chance to Red Bull junior Yuki Tsunoda. As we head into the last couple of races of this season, there is still plenty of time for silly season drama.

Cover.jpg

Last edited:
22. Software Engineer with experience in Formula One and Motorsport simulation.

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
I would have picked a more experienced driver to partner Schumacher. Haas looks a lot more like Williams now. If Williams keep improving, Haas could be relegated to the bottom of the constructors standings.

Mazepin is not that bad for a pay driver, he was very good in fact last weekend. Not the most likable fellow, however, and I definitely won't be rooting for the guy.

Last edited:

Charlie Lockwood

RaceDepartment Writer
Original poster
Staff
Premium
Feb 22, 2016
Personally I'd have preferred to see Ilott (who I think is superb) and Schumacher team up, and play the Ferrari juniors off of one another. That being said Mazepin was very impressive in Bahrain and I thought his racing with Schumacher was excellent. Looking forward to seeing them next year.

DND

Stay Safe, Healthy and be Kind - BLM
Staff
Premium
Dec 12, 2016
I think the young (aka less F1 experienced) drivers are actually an asset to a team that has lacked results worth mentioning. Who knows they may be the spark this team needs to get off the schneid.

Last edited:

BabyGotBackmarker

25RPM
Premium
Jul 5, 2020
Don't blame Mazepin for getting the seat. Blame the economics of F1 that leads to Latifi and Mazepin getting rides while Ilott and Schwartzman sit around wondering what else they can possibly do.

I do think Mazepin is a capable driver. As for Latifi, I think Mazepin is a capable driver.

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
Anyway who could take place as veteran.... Haas is powered by Ferrari... as i know Schumacher is on the Ferrari young driver, may be Mazepin too. Dont think they had choice for their driver.
Ferrari seems to have two junior teams now: Haas and Alfa Romeo.

Nick Hill

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 26, 2013
Hmm, filling your seats with the son of a famous former driver and the son of a ultra wealthy Russian oligarch...it's outside the box thinking and, to my knowledge, like nothing we've ever seen before in F1, but props to Haas for thinking outside the box!

Sasha Jednak

Sasa Jednak
Premium
Mar 27, 2011
You need big b for this move, and Steiner proves he is not scared of challenge. They got 1st and 3rd driver from very equal grid of F2, since they have nothing to lose. They need to change the way of thinking about the car and maybe those two that are not "corrupted" by F1 world yet can bring that, as someone already said, spark they need. Plus they are keeping strong connection to Ferrari with Schumacher and they are getting financial injection with Mazepin. Win-win, and a reason for m to come back to F1 next season. To bad there is no more teams, I like this year's F2 lineup and would prefer more of them there, but I'll live with this. :roflmao:

P.S. Is "big b" okay for forum post since it's not whole word? :unsure:

Last edited:

Patrik Marek

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 25, 2014
looking forward to see Schumacher name in F1 again, would have preferred in different team that haas, but oh well

Richard Hessels

1000RPM
Premium
Jul 23, 2008
Don't blame Mazepin for getting the seat. Blame the economics of F1 that leads to Latifi and Mazepin getting rides while Ilott and Schwartzman sit around wondering what else they can possibly do.

I do think Mazepin is a capable driver. As for Latifi, I think Mazepin is a capable driver.
This happens for as long as F1 excists. Even Lauda was a pay driver once.

Arconian

75RPM
Dec 2, 2014
I think it's actually quite smart move from Haas. They have nothing to lose really - the drivers don't matter if you cannot build a decent car. And now they got money thanks to Mazepin and attention thanks to Schumacher so they probably will get even more money through the new sponsorships. Hopefully Haas will be a stronger contender next year.

Appie Kuipers

1000RPM
Premium
Jun 8, 2007
Van Amersfoort: Schumacher is’nt a talent like Leclerc and Max, but let’s see............

Benutzername

I breathe a lot. I guess i just really like air.
Premium
Oct 10, 2011
Van Amersfoort: Schumacher is’nt a talent like Leclerc and Max, but let’s see............
He isnt. But he seems to be a hard worker and is on his way to the F2 title after winning the F3 title. I followed his career since his F4 debut, obviously at first because of his name, but i really like him. He also is under huge pressure and handles that in a mature and professional way.

I think the first goal, and a realistic one, is to be consistent, improving and integrsting into the grid. I think he'll be a solid driver like Hülkenberg or Perez, which would mean he has quite a few years in F1. Since many people want him to succeed, he will have it easier to get a top seat which could make him a race winner, which would be really awesome. And maybe there is another step up...

But first, i think it would be great to see him as a solid driver in the midfield. Everything else is a bonus.

Reactions: Appie Kuipers

ermo

250RPM
Premium
Dec 24, 2009
He isnt. But he seems to be a hard worker and is on his way to the F2 title after winning the F3 title. I followed his career since his F4 debut, obviously at first because of his name, but i really like him. He also is under huge pressure and handles that in a mature and professional way.

I think the first goal, and a realistic one, is to be consistent, improving and integrsting into the grid. I think he'll be a solid driver like Hülkenberg or Perez, which would mean he has quite a few years in F1. Since many people want him to succeed, he will have it easier to get a top seat which could make him a race winner, which would be really awesome. And maybe there is another step up...

But first, i think it would be great to see him as a solid driver in the midfield. Everything else is a bonus.
I like this post.

Without having followed Mick Schumacher's career and only having read his comments in the press with half an eye, he comes off as a decent enough fellow.

If he has his father's work ethic and talent, the sky is the limit for him, considering that success is often achieved via 90-odd% percent hard work and the rest being talent.

Personally, I would love to see Mick Shchumacher be more of a "pure" driver than his father, who in regards to sportsmanship reminded me more of Ayrton Senna; both drivers who for all intents and purposes behaved like entitled arseholes when on track (for whatever reason).

I'm not personally a huge fan of Lewis Hamilton, but I do appreciate his approach to racing which is to keep it as clean and fair as humanly possible and put up his hand when he makes a mistake that hurts other drivers.

Last edited:

TheBigHase

25RPM
Jun 29, 2017
I would have picked a more experienced driver to partner Schumacher. Haas looks a lot more like Williams now. If Williams keep improving, Haas could be relegated to the bottom of the constructors standings.

Mazepin is not that bad for a pay driver, he was very good in fact last weekend. Not the most likable fellow, however, and I definitely won't be rooting for the guy.

I really would like to see Bruno Senna again or at least an US-Driver in this US-Team. I hope Mick gets his chance to drive already now in the last two races cos he couldn't at Nürburgring. And funfact we will finally see other guys winning now. I can't help myself to think that HAM has some "technical advantages" built in. Do you see how he takes off at atart like a rocket!? The massiv gain of gap ins such short time!? There's sth. fishy there and I don't think F1 should go on like that.Very boring if you ask me. But I'm getting kinda OT now, sry.

Antony Snook

500RPM
Jul 16, 2011
I have seen Mick on Utube. Dose not look verry good. He is there for the name of his father. It is hard to do well as 2nd generation. His Father was one of the greatest drivers i have ever seen. I dont beleive Mick will ever beat Michael's record. But we will see.

Reactions: Appie Kuipers

Antony Snook

500RPM
Jul 16, 2011
I like this post.

Without having followed Mick Schumacher's career and only having read his comments in the press with half an eye, he comes off as a decent enough fellow.

If he has his father's work ethic and talent, the sky is the limit for him, considering that success is often achieved via 90-odd% percent hard work and the rest being talent.

Personally, I would love to see Mick Shchumacher be more of a "pure" driver than his father, who in regards to sportsmanship reminded me more of Ayrton Senna; both drivers who for all intents and purposes behaved like entitled arseholes when on track (for whatever reason).

I'm not personally a huge fan of Lewis Hamilton, but I do appreciate his approach to racing which is to keep it as clean and fair as humanly possible and put up his hand when he makes a mistake that hurts other drivers.
Lewis tagged his team mate Jenson Button once at Montreal. And Albon whos was looking for a podeom twice. Hes no saint, like he pretends to be.

fatal4you

250RPM
Oct 28, 2018
You need big b for this move, and Steiner proves he is not scared of challenge. They got 1st and 3rd driver from very equal grid of F2, since they have nothing to lose. They need to change the way of thinking about the car and maybe those two that are not "corrupted" by F1 world yet can bring that, as someone already said, spark they need. Plus they are keeping strong connection to Ferrari with Schumacher and they are getting financial injection with Mazepin. Win-win, and a reason for m to come back to F1 next season. To bad there is no more teams, I like this year's F2 lineup and would prefer more of them there, but I'll live with this. :roflmao:

P.S. Is "big b" okay for forum post since it's not whole word? :unsure:
Balls? Yeah, I approve it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sasha Jednak