F1 2010 F1 game veteran struggling with the new handling

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hey guys,

I've been playing the game for a few hours now. The first point of call being to turn all aids off and difficulty onto expert!

I just want to ask really...are people struggling with corner exiting? I'm ok with entry speed but I find it massively difficult to control the car when accelerating out. Yep I know there's no traction control but I'm wondering if its because I'm using a controller on the PS3 that the game is really punishing me?

It took a good couple of hours for me to get anywhere near the 23rd man's time driving in a lotus. Its taken me by surprise a bit after being so successful with previous titles that I'm so slow. I am finally competitive in bahrain but that's only because its the only track I've been driving since I got the game in career mode.

Maybe its my driving style. I tend to prefer to lean towards more understeer than having a nervous rear but is that just the nature of this game? I heard the handling was twitchy but sometimes the car is so tail happy even if I barely accelerate at all. I've found the only way to control the thing is to try and let the car coast through corners and only apply throttle when the car is dead straight.

Problem is that because I'm concerned that the car will spin, I'm losing time hand over fist by being so cautious. Don't even get me started on australia. I've driven that thousands of times yet I'm still 4 seconds off the pace of 23rd.

Any advice welcomed!

Not sure if the PS3 has pressure sensative buttons like the PS2, or if you're using the analogue sticks but you have to be smooth on the throttle coming out, so a gradual build up to full throttle. Cold tyres and a fresh (not rubbered) track will have less traction and you will need to drive careful..

Its the one annoying thing about the game, its unpredictable and therfor difficult despite being quite unrealistic in the way it happens, the only way to avoid it is to be smooth off the brakes and smooth on the throttle. For example, dont brake hard and then straight off them while turning, it will result in the back end flying out, where possible try to brake before turning and slowly and smoothly off the brake. hard on, smooth off. roll the apex and then throttle out. if you try to develop that into your driving style it will help you a lot.

I realise the car does a spin from the centre point a lot, which feels really unnatural and its not how it should happen, and its nigh on impossible to fix it as you would in a real car, tho you can slam on the brakes which seems to amazingly put you back on course, most of the time.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 70 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 137 13.8%