Alright when was that again.....?

I do feel for poor Albon.

I do too. But to be fair, he had more chances than Gastly and wasn't really up to scratch in my humble opinion.

I also think his down demeaner isn't really helping (marketing wise) either. Not the energy you'd figure with a energy drink company.
Now Verstappen could 'use an energy drink' the way he sits at press conferences :p but he makes up for it on track.

What does a contract actually mean in F1?

Judging from the past, equally much nowadays.

Last edited:
By 0.1s per lap, according to Wolff. Does that make the RB the fastest car on the grid, now?

I thought it wasn't about the car?
Surely by that logic it was Lewis and Bottas that were slower?
Can't have it both ways....

If next year RB is the fastest car i'd imagine Max will walk it... I don't think it will be though..

Nice! Logic prevailed.

I read Nice! 'rapper' 'rapper'-ed :)

logicprevailed.png

Last edited:
Weird how RB never came knocking all those seasons he was struggling in poor car....

Then comes the pink Merc and he's hot news....

To add, i always rated Perez. Never sure why he was banished to the lower teams in the first place. Had he of taken Bottas's seat in the black Merc he'd of had a hatful of wins by now.

Nothing against Perez, but I really like the new guys.. Not a fan of Albon but I really feel sad for him. I also felt sad for Gasly last year. Red Bull, I will never be a fan of them. Maybe the drivers but never the team. I don't know why.

Fully understood the decision though. For business and battle, Perez is not a bad choice for a scoring juggernaut. We'll see then how much he compares to Max.

EDIT: I think it will be very funny if the little Japanese rookie outperform Gasly and Perez gets demoted to Alpha Tauri to ride out the one year deal. Like Lewis said, it's hard being a teammate to top class drivers. Anyone mediocre will look like a complete tool.

Last edited:
I think Perez will do great but I do feel for poor Albon. What does a contract actually mean in F1?
Well, I assume it means he gets a nice little buyout or some other kind of pre-agreed upon concession if the team decides to not follow through on their commitment. I know next to nothing about sport "over there", but over here in the US, in the "stick & ball" realm, it's very common for fans of a team to be well versed in the details of their team's coach/manager's buyout clause. It's especially common in college football and basketball, which at the top level are big money makers and so pay their coaches handsomely with long(ish) term contracts to assure potential recruits that the coach will be there for all 4-5 yrs of their university career...that is, until the school decides the coach is underperforming and ends up "buying out" the coach's contract early in the form of a massive cash payout per the stipulations of the contract.

It's all kind of goofy but, as a previous manager of mine told me, "everything is negotiable". When big money is on the line in a tightly competitive environment (such is the case with F1), a contract is really just a point-in-time artifact representative of the respective negotiating leverage of the two parties. Superficially, it looks like an agreement for the team to allow the driver to drive X number of years but, in reality, it's just as much (if not more) about the fine print (buyout clauses, etc).

As far as the Perez/Albon switcheroo goes, it's all very "F1", I think. I don't mean that in a good or bad sense...just a statement of fact. Max drubbed Albon pretty thoroughly. I'm not sure anyone (other than Albon's immediate family, perhaps!) was particularly surprised by that. I suspect Max would drub just about any teammate, short of maybe Lewis or Alonso. Albon seems like a genuinely nice guy and is probably an OK driver...but an "OK" driver in that seat is going to be treated to watching Max drive off into the distance race after race. That brings us to Perez. I think he deserves to be in an F1 seat one way or another, but my suspicion is he is "good, not great". A "good" driver in that seat is going to be treated to watching Max drive off into the distance at a marginally slower rate than the "OK" driver did.

So, good bye nice guy Albon - sorry it didn't work out...welcome back good-but-not-great Checo - glad to see your F1 dreams being extended for at least a little while...meanwhile, Max is still very fast...and Red Bull? Well, Red Bull are still wielding the impressive power and leverage of being the owners of two of the most coveted seats in all of motorsport and will continue to behave accordingly (subtext: don't get too comfy, Checo - definitely don't delete any of the IndyCar contacts you may have drummed up lately from your cell phone's address book).

I thought it wasn't about the car?
Surely by that logic it was Lewis and Bottas that were slower?
Can't have it both ways....

If next year RB is the fastest car i'd imagine Max will walk it... I don't think it will be though..
Rules don't change next year so more "merc show", 2022 rules changing quote a bit I believe. But it'll take a lot for teams to compete with Merc Millions.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 206 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 211 14.3%