F1 Ferrari Steering Wheel (Custom)

The following is a custom Ferrari F1 wheel I built. The objective for this project was authenticity but this has been quite an undertaking so a bit of the wheel (particularly the back) is still in a prototype stage (although I do consider this entire project a prototype for the next wheel I build). Having said that, it does work.

f1_wheel_small.jpg

Here are a few of the features:
1) A custom F1-style aluminum 3-bolt electronic quick release. Allowing wheel to be attached to any wheel base (providing custom quick release modification and installation done on base).
2) Authentic mil-spec push buttons. These are not the commonly used NKK/Nnitters that are popular. I didn't like the tactile response of those or lack of authenticity, so went for the same ones used by Ferrari on their wheel. However, I did use a different brand switch for the KERS/DRS buttons as I wanted a specific 'spongey' response on those.
3) Authentic toggle switches. The exact same same used on the 2011 Ferrari F1 Wheel
4) Custom clutch assembly (currently not installed as disassembled and still in early prototyping phase).
5) Sli-F1 display with customized housing.
6) Custom rotary knobs. All rotary switches (including center knob) work but are not currently wired to the harness.
7) Custom single-piece shifter assembly (prototype).
8) Led indicators on either side of and under 'PCU-6D' display.
9) Custom carbon fiber body providing extra rigidity.

Notes:
To begin the project, a Thrustmaster F1 wheel was used as the base, but most of the components and pieces were of little use and discarded and the base itself was largely reshaped.

Little expense was spared for the sake of authenticity (the toggle switches and push buttons alone where $113 each and $35 each respectively).

The rigidity, construction, and overall feel of the wheel are solid and feel like that of an actual F1 steering wheel.

That's it for now. Will post more pics down the road when I continue the project.

Last edited:
Brian, I do have this older photo (when the prototype clutch was installed) showing the custom electronic quick release system which is attached to an aluminum adapter plate. Very solid.

f1_wheel_top_small.jpg

Switches were purchased from a variety of sources like digikey, mouser, and a few others I can't remember.

Upvote 0
Moxley, I believe it's a Sparco quick release. It's been heavily reshaped and modified to look and operate like the actual Ferrari F1 electronic quick release.

Brian, thanks but no plans of creating any more of these, at least for a while.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 206 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 112 7.6%
  • < 5 years