F1: Felipe Massa to Retire at Season's End

Chris

Premium
Massa-Retire.jpg
Brazilian Formula One driver Felipe Massa has today announced that he will be retiring from Formula One at the end of the current season.

The 35 year old has finally put to rest the rumours that his impending retirement was on the horizon by announcing it in an organised news conference at the Monza circuit ahead of the Italian Grand Prix this weekend.

Massa will hang up his F1 overalls at the conclusion of the 2016 season having amassed 242 race starts (250 by the end of the season) resulting in 11 wins, 41 podiums, 16 pole positions and 15 fastest race laps in a career spanning 14 years. Despite the disappointment of failing to win the nail-biting 2008 championship, Felipe can leave F1 with his head held high after a career that many drivers could only dream of.

At the press conference, flanked by team principal Claire Williams, Massa said that, "This will be my last season in F1. I will enjoy my last eight races in F1 as much as I've always done. I just want to say thank you to everybody who is around me and who have followed me in my career.

He went on to say that, "I am very proud to have raced in F1 for so long. I achieved a lot more than l expected. Even if l lost the championship by a point l am very proud of my career and what l have achieved."

He also revealed that he had made his decision to retire from the sport several months ago, and wanted to announce it on the weekend of the Italian GP because it was the same place that Michael Schumacher had called time on the first of his two F1 careers.

Felipe Massa will take part in his last ever Italian GP this weekend in front of a crowd that he feels is like a second home. Given the straight line speed of the Williams, one last podium finish atop the greatest podium in motorsport is not entirely off the cards.

Thought maybe he might have stayed on for one more year, the new regulations may have suited him more.

Always had a lot of respect for him after the 2008 showdown, his drive in the Brazilian GP was brilliant.

In recent years he's lost some of the speed he had but I think he suffers badly if the tyre won't work with him, I think in this years Williams he's destroying the tyres too quickly, whether that's style, setup or car I don't know but you saw it a lot last year as well. Always seems he's very quick at the start of a stint and then the tyres go off and he starts to loose a lot of pace.

I think the whole "look after the car" period of F1 hasn't suited him so much.

One of the nicest F1 drivers I've been lucky enough to meet and I hope he lands a good drive in WEC or maybe he'll follow Rubens into Brazilian racing series.

Fingers crossed for a podium at Monza :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The times he spent in Ferrari with Schumacher and Kimi were just the glory years in his career. He deserved that one title more than anyone else. I hope he will choose Blancpain series as his new home, don't want to see him being out of motorsport at all.

The times he spent in Ferrari with Schumacher and Kimi were just the glory years in his career. He deserved that one title more than anyone else. I hope he will choose Blancpain series as his new home, don't want to see him being out of motorsport at all.
A and probable most real option) Becomes a Brazilian Stock Car driver.
B) Goes to Blancpain
C) Goes to WEC in the GT category.

Either way, I still remember the 08 season, Ferrari. Your major screw ups took away his champ. And from 2009 and ownwards only ups and downs. But still, take Button away, the most sportsman guy in F1 today.

We'll see what happens in the future but I agree that may be a good option for him. Simply because he'll be in the home country he loves so much, with his family around him.

However....:D The idea of him driving a works Ferrari in the WEC would be kinda cool...;)
Or the #333 in Blancpain. Even though I wanna see him in a BMW.

I hope we'll see him somewhere else, Blancpain,Brazilian Stockcars. A man who deserved more in his career.He was my favourite at ferrari. I'll never forget the scary moments in Hungary 2009. I hope he wins at Monza. He would make the crowd go crazy

• Deleted member 130869

Bouncing back from the testing role in 2003 to drive for Ferrari in 2006, and do so well that Schumi got the rude treatment from the team and was forced to leave. Despite his struggles especially in the wet, three team mess ups and Flavio Briatore costing the title, he was extremely graceful in 2008.

2009's accident may have made things never be the same but he kept trying. Then still graceful despite Ferrari's treatment. Then his dream to drive for Williams. Sadly Brazil doesn't really have upcoming youth to succeed him. Never was a big fan but always appreciated what he was able to achieve in his career, I hope his career ends on a high note.

Bouncing back from the testing role in 2003 to drive for Ferrari in 2006, and do so well that Schumi got the rude treatment from the team and was forced to leave. Despite his struggles especially in the wet, three team mess ups and Flavio Briatore costing the title, he was extremely graceful in 2008.

2009's accident may have made things never be the same but he kept trying. Then still graceful despite Ferrari's treatment. Then his dream to drive for Williams. Sadly Brazil doesn't really have upcoming youth to succeed him. Never was a big fan but always appreciated what he was able to achieve in his career, I hope his career ends on a high note.
His F1 career was a success, even if he didn't the title (thanks Timo you .....) I'd say he was and still is way better than Jenson Button. (Jenson won a championship only because he had a super overpowered car..)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 303 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 211 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.6%