Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Teams - Sauber Ferrari 1.jpg

We've done the drivers, now it's time to 'Rate the Teams'! First up in the series, but last in the championship - Sauber Ferrari and the C36.

Rebadged with Alfa Romeo branding and a top driver for 2018, Sauber are desperately in need of a shot in the arm this season if the popular Swiss outfit is to regain some of the form that saw it regularly fighting for points and podiums in the mid 2000's.

Relegated to the role of perennial backmarker in recent times, Sauber are still very much a sleeping giant in terms of technical infrastructure and the racer spirt, but can an injection of new funding and enthusiasm from the Italian sportscar brand help bring progress to this long standing independent outfit?

2017 was nothing short of a nightmare for Sauber Ferrari with last place in the Constructors Championship and just five points, all courtesy of outgoing driver Pascal Wehrlein, a scant reward for the team in what was their 25th anniversary of Grand Prix participation.

How do you rate the efforts of the squad during the year just gone..?

Vote now to tell us how you rate 2017 Formula One season for Sauber Ferrari, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Teams - Sauber Ferrari 2.jpg
Rate the Teams - Sauber Ferrari 3.jpg
Rate the Teams - Sauber Ferrari 4.jpg

Last edited:
Great livery, the next one doesn't look half bad either. As under performing as they are I'm glad they're sticking around, the sport could do with 2-3 more teams like it.

A 3.5 is all I can give, given their dismal showing in 2017.
I wish for a time again when Sauber is the 'go-to' team for upcoming talent.
Massa, Raikonnen...just a few who benefited from their being a Sauber team.
Hate where they've taken the Sauber name...right to the back of the grid.

Last edited:
7. They do what they can with what they have... It's sad to see them becoming the new Minardi. I still remember their first season (1993), they had this beautiful black livery and they did quite well. It's a shame all the money goes to the top teams...

I rate them 5.
4 is that they scored 5 points in 2017, better than the previous one.
2 is that they have tried everything they could with a very weak car. And they succeeded in Spain and Baku.
However, I subtracted by 1 in my rating, due to releasing Wehrlein in lieu of Ericsson.

Mediocre car but the team managed to hang in there.
Wehrlein is no loss.
Maybe the Alfa deal for next season will give them a much deserved boost, I hope so as I've held Peter sauber in high regard over a few decades.

1. **** car, a pay driver and a talented driver that got dropped by them despite kicking the pay driver's ass.
As usual when it comes to the hate of Ericsson, he's the driver that gets bullied, laught at, mocked and so on, yet he is still there, and the 'future' drivers of F1 is gone. Says everything about Wehrlein's and Nas'r's so called "talent".
If you actually read the stats from every race, and not just spew up **** some biased reporter told you, they where very close in practise, quali, racetime and placement overall, but somehow, all of a sudden, that doesn't matter.

Gave them 4 cause performance wise it was absolutely the worst team, even if they were likely better than mclaren in reliability, ofc shouldn't give them too low rating given the little money they do this with.

But ofc minus points for confirming ericsson and dropping wherlein, like I said before, if sauber has to keep confirming the worst driver they have in order to survive, they can just leave f1.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%