F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Team - McLaren Honda

9. Even having a terrible engine, McLaren tried everything to ensure their drivers would score points quite regularly. And they did it. In the last 7 races, they scored points on 5 occasions.
They really want to be on the top, so they signed Renault for next year. Go on, McLaren!!!
PS: I'm Alonso's fan...

Maybe Honda should bring back the 1967 V12 ?At least it would sound good anyways. Every single F1 race this year I was just waiting for the McLaren's to blow up......"wait for it !"
First finish then maybe you can win.
Maybe they can put 3 cylinder engines in them, then pipe a V12 sound thru an outside speaker, so they sound good, like the BMW I8 .
I'd give McLaren a 5 and Honda isn't worth a rating.

2. Amazing chassis, but shitty engine

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing if this holds true next year. If McLarens chassis is as good as they say they will be able to challenge Red Bull and at the very least be fighting Williams, that'll be good for the sport. And if not... Well they're full of **** and it'll be interesting to see how Honda fair with another stable. Either way should be a hoot.

They still get points from me for this year, and the coming weeks for letting Alonso race Indy and now Daytona. Their setbacks in F1 has been a boon for sportscar racing which is in general in a much better place imho.

Honda wants to win, simples. However problems arise. RD forum members, go arsy over the fact Honda tried. If it was that simple Vauxhall would be world champions and ranger rover runners up. Wind ya necks back and look at the bigger picture. It aint easy. Honda effort 11/10 actual results 4 /10/

Honda wants to win, simples. However problems arise. RD forum members, go arsy over the fact Honda tried. If it was that simple Vauxhall would be world champions and ranger rover runners up. Wind ya necks back and look at the bigger picture. It aint easy. Honda effort 11/10 actual results 4 /10/

You're right it ain't easy... But, this is F1, the pinnacle of motorsports, where simply trying is not good enough. They've been so far behind the other engine manufacturers for the last 3 years in terms of reliabilty and performance that it's hard to give them anything more than 1/10, or even 0/10.

Chassis - 7
Engine - 1
Drivers - 7
Average - 5

I have to say that McLaren pulled a lot of magic dust out of their butts to make this work. If you look at all the results of the races where both cars finished (Azerbaijan, Hungary, Malaysia, Japan, Mexico, Abu Dhabi), they actually did pretty well. Finishing just a few more times and they could have beaten Haas. The engine 100% held them up, and to know that Honda may not have a 2018 engine ready for Toro Rosso is disheartening.

Very hard to rate McLaren for this year.
as far as i can remember, i've never seen such a quality/performance delta between a chassis and an engine.
The chassis is one of the best of the grid, as Mercedes or Ferrari for me, but the engine is...nowhere.

three lost year.
Honda should retired, but they have no choice but to succeed.
Next year with the Renault engine we will see at which level this chassis really is.
should be interesting

Next year with the Renault engine we will see at which level this chassis really is.
should be interesting
Would be VERY interesting if they are competing well with the other Renault-powered cars. If they really do have the best chassis (and certainly one or two of the top drivers), then they should be spoiling a lot of Red Bull parties in 2018.

Would be VERY interesting if they are competing well with the other Renault-powered cars. If they really do have the best chassis (and certainly one or two of the top drivers), then they should be spoiling a lot of Red Bull parties in 2018.

I hope so too. It would be great to have a 4th team with the potential to win.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.5%