F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Nico Hulkenberg

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid - Nico Hulkenberg.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg is the next in line for our RaceDepartment 'Rate the Grid' treatment. Read on to find out how our RD community score the Renault Sport F1 driver...

Back when Nico Hulkenberg made his Formula One debut for the Williams team many had the young German marked as a future World Champion, however several years and a string of uncompetitive cars later the now 30-year-old driver has yet to stand on the Formula One podium. With promise of a better season ahead for Renault, has Hulkenberg done enough in Formula One this year to retain the tag of a top driver?

Vote now to tell us how you rate 2017 Formula One season of Nico Hulkenberg, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid - Nico Hulkenberg 2.jpg
Rate the Grid - Nico Hulkenberg 4.jpg
Rate the Grid - Nico Hulkenberg 3.jpg

Last edited:
The best German driver on the grid!:D He has just been unlucky he never got a seat in a race winning car. Did very well in the Renault this year, often being the 'best of the rest'. I also like how he handles the press, especially Dutch TV (Ziggo Sport). He speaks Dutch very well! Would be great to have him and Max in one team at some time in the near future. Score... 8.

Last edited:
Some hits and unfortunate misses. Generally did a fine job, absolutely demolished Palmer and seems to have a similar pace to Sainz. His Baku crash was clumsy but he's had some good performances elsewhere to make up for it. 7 in my book :thumbsup:

Great driver. F1 and Le Mans.
Give him a race winning F1 car and he will win; did it at Le Mans!
So that alone shows he has the talent. I remember watching him in GP2. He was mega fast and won, so again, proves that if you give him a good car, he will win.

Very solid season. Pulled the most out of the not-very-good Renault. I'd like to see him replace Raikkonen at Ferrari and see the legendary number 27 on that car again.

His greatest accomplishment still isn't f1 related.

True, but I consider him a bit like Jean Alesi or Chris Amon in that regard. Very quick, but has not had the stars align for him yet.

Still don't know what to really think of him. The fact that he's never found a way to land a drive with a truly great team makes me think that he is not rated that highly by team bosses. He reminds me of another German driver: Nick Heidfeld. Good, sometimes very good driver, but somehow never seems to be outstanding. So I give him a 7,5.

that singapore dnf (oil leak! i think it was a loose tube) made me heartbroken...it happened 2 times for him and he was p4 in both situation

Maybe Mercedes should sign him when Bottas runs out of contract? It would be great because German driver in a German car as well as an interesting rivalry of Hulk and Hamilton. He could then prove that he can win if the car is good enough

Still don't know what to really think of him. The fact that he's never found a way to land a drive with a truly great team makes me think that he is not rated that highly by team bosses. He reminds me of another German driver: Nick Heidfeld. Good, sometimes very good driver, but somehow never seems to be outstanding. So I give him a 7,5.

That could be down to both of the Red Bull guys just being too good , and Vettel and Hamilton seem to like having clear number 2 drivers ( Kimi seems past his sell by date and Bottas is never going to challenge Hamilton ) so that doesn't leave any gaps at the top .

That could be down to both of the Red Bull guys just being too good , and Vettel and Hamilton seem to like having clear number 2 drivers ( Kimi seems past his sell by date and Bottas is never going to challenge Hamilton ) so that doesn't leave any gaps at the top .

I agree, that's a good way of putting it. However, I still find it surprising, to say the least, that after eight seasons in F1, he never got an offer from Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren or Mercedes... Bad manager? Bad timing? Who knows. But it's hard to really evaluate his talent after so many years in second-rate teams. It will be interesting to see him paired with Sainz in 2018.

I think its because he just lacks the last bit to be a world class driver. Lots and lots of good drives, but none really great ones that really stand out and gets the top team's notice.
A solid 7 this year. Solid season with good results. Demolished Palmer (but to be fair, many others could do that) and seems to handle a better teammate in Sainz well. Lost a point in my book after the Magnussen spat, otherwise a very good season.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%