F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Marcus Ericsson

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid Marcus Ericsson 4.jpg

Position 20 in the 2017 FIA Formula One standings, the subject of todays 'Rate the Grid' is Sauber driver and Swedish star Marcus Ericsson!

Sauber and Ericsson will renew their relationship for a fourth season in 2018, racing for the first time under Alfa Romeo branding and with a new and highly rated team mate, plenty to prove following a disappointing year and the ever present threat of reserve driver Antonio Giovinazzi waiting in the wings, 2018 will be a big year for the likeable Swede if he wants to extend his stay in the top flight of motorsport.

The question is has he done enough to deserve a drive next year, and can Ericsson stay in Formula One beyond his latest deal?

Vote now to tell us how you rate the 2017 season for Sauber mainstay Marcus Ericsson, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid Marcus Ericsson 2.jpg
Rate the Grid Marcus Ericsson 3.jpg
Rate the Grid Marcus Ericsson.jpg

• Deleted member 205301

Probably the most under-rated driver on the grid.
I'm not an Ericsson'fan, but admit that he was equal (and sometimes better) than Wehrlein, he does the job, not more, not less. For me he deserves his seat and will probably beat his teamate for the first 5-6 gp next year...(we'll see later)
I rated him a 6/10 none that I found him a great driver, but, c'mon guys, he's much better than Palmer, and his car is a kind of neolitic'one ;)
@++

Last edited by a moderator:
Gave him a 2. Don't rate him but seems like a decent bloke, and as @Jimlaad43 mentioned above, would rather see him in a Sauber than no Sauber at all. Hopefully Alfa backing for 2018 onwards gives the team financial stability enough to once again pick the talented youngsters like back in the day..

I gave him a 4. He's not special, but it's not like he's Palmer or Chilton levels of slow. Sauber had three chances to score points all season. Spain, when they managed to get Wehrlein into the pits at the perfect time; Azerbaijan, where Sauber made Ericsson give 10th place to Wehrlein; and Mexico, where Ericsson should have scored points, but the VSC ruined the race for those drivers running a long first stint (of which he was one), and then his car broke down anyway. Apart from those races, Sauber haven't been close enough to the points. Him scoring no points is more down to the slowness of the car than himself.

The fact i didn't even know he looked like that speaks volumes....having said that, stick him in the Merc and he'd be getting top 5 finishes, maybe even win one.
But yeah.... who cares. Pinnacle of Motorsport my ass.

Antonio Giovinazzi...... if ever there was a name born to drive Alfa Romeo, that is it.... albeit simply a branding exercise (not Alfa power..although Ferrari own Alfa...but then FIAT own Ferrari... but yeah anyway....ermmm where was I..)

Yeah get rid of the Swede and get the Italian in it....

• Deleted member 205301

get rid of the Swede and get the Italian in it....

I read an article this week on "checkered flag" in wich Gunther Steiner said what he though about the 7 friday practices that the italian did... I encourage you to read it, it could help you to understand why Gio is not on the grid...
@++

I read an article this week on "checkered flag" in wich Gunther Steiner said what he though about the 7 friday practices that the italian did... I encourage you to read it, it could help you to understand why Gio is not on the grid...
@++

I imagine its because he's a bit raw and a hot head... i'd take that over some Swedish robot programmed to be mediocre.. but then i'm a fan of Motorsport not some bean counter.

I also read something the other day, Alonso was asked about how to make F1 interesting, he said you could over night...stick all the F1 drivers in F2 cars (GP2?) and fill your boots...
Won't ever happen though...but yeah GP2 still has the better teams but then thats small fractions of difference, F1 is just too wide in performance right now.....

I think some series have gone too far with BoP, to the point of it being silly...but F1 really needs to bring the cars at the very least with the same BHP....right now its utterly stupid and only good if you are Merc or LH fan... and most of those only stuck their heads up in the last 3-4 years anyway....

The funny fact is that Ericsson is actually better than Wehrlein :D He's also better to work with while Wherein is more arrogant. And he brings a lot of money so it's not surprising Sauber picks him

Werlheim
I rated him a 6/10 none that I found him a great driver, but, c'mon guys, he's much better than Palmer, and his car is a kind of neolitic'one ;)
@++

W-e-h-r-l-e-i-n :rolleyes:

Apparently, German names are bad news in general, since many people still call Hülkenberg "Hülkenburg".

Berg = Mountain
Burg = Castle

Also, on the mention of Palmer: At least he's a GP2 champion.

Funny how Sauber could manage to do without him. Sauber's partially owned by team investors that back Ericsson(Tetra Pak).

They could drop him since they'd still be at the helm of the team, and put in a better "Super Swede" like Rosenqvist, the other Eriksson(with k obviously) or Blomqvist(who's racing with British license though).

I'd rather see Ericsson in a Sauber than no Saubers at all.

This is exactly the opposite of my point! If sauber has to keep firing drivers who score points (nasr, then wehrlein) so that ericsson, the permanent no point scorer, can continue to drive on it, then I really wish sauber runs out of money and leaves f1! And I even liked sauber in the 2000s.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.0%