F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Carlos Sainz

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid - Carlos Sainz Jr.jpg

Started the season as a forgotten man at Toro Rosso and ending 2017 as a star in the making at Renault, 2017 was indeed a strange year for Carlos Sainz in Formula One.

Understandably disappointed to be overlooked by the main Red Bull squad when they promoted teammate Max Verstappen in place of Daniil Kvyat, then going on to comprehensively trounce his new team mate, Carlos Sainz showed all the signs of a man looking for a fresh start in 2017.

That fresh start would be granted by the Renault Sport Formula One team in Austin, drafting in the Spanish star for the final rounds of the season ahead of what would be a full time debut with the squad in 2018. Many expected 2017 to be a learning year for the 23-year-old, however the Spaniard made an instant impact at the Enstone outfit, immediately out performing his highly rated team mate and astonishing many people for his remarkable ability to immediately find himself at home and on the pace in the yellow car.

So how do you think Sainz performed in 2017?

Vote now to tell us how you rate 2017 Formula One season of Carlos Sainz, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid - Carlos Sainz Jr 2.jpg
Rate the Grid - Carlos Sainz Jr 3.jpg
Rate the Grid - Carlos Sainz Jr 4.jpg

Last edited:
I voted a solid 7.
He is the real deal.
Kept every one of his teammates 'honest' this year.
Transitioned to a completely different team, and came up to speed beautifully.
That's the mark of a good driver.

There were a few races where he was not performing at his best, making a few stupid mistakes. Did quite well after the transfer to Renault and was almost able to perform equally to one of the best drivers on the grid, The Hulk. If Renault can build a good car AND a good engine next year, both Renault drivers may be able to score some podiums in 2018, but with Force India and hopefully McLaren the competition will be fierce (somehow my expectations for Williams and Torro Rosso are low for next year).
I scored Sainz a 7, because I think when he was driving at Torro Rosso this year, he could have done better and he was driving better in 2016 was he was 'pushed' by Max.

Was driving like a madman at the start of the season, which is why he loses points, but he did well later in the year, though that Renault was the most unreliable car along with the Toro Rosso's at the end, which didn't help matters. A 7 from me.

Very quick and very hot tempered.
Carlos Jr. needs to look at Carlos Snr. approach to the WRC, smooth, fast and never ruffled.
Given another season at Renault he should be a front runner.

Had a good season in STR, but the really remarkable thing was how he adjusted so well and so fast at Renault. Talented and a future prospect for top teams. Not Verstappen talented, but at the level just under. Can reach Verstappen and Hamilton level, but it wont come natural, he must keep working hard for it and it'll eventually come. 8.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back