F1 | Dutch, Spanish and Monaco Grand Prix Postponed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Formula One have today confirmed the new season is set to be delayed yet further, following the postponement of the Dutch, Spanish and Monaco Grand Prix.

Initially the Formula One group sent out mixed messages about the proposed return to racing action this year, with early May mooted as a potential starting date for Grand Prix track action to return once again. Realistically that was always going to be a stretch, with the Dutch and Spanish Grand Prix always looking likely to be off the table at some stage or another, and now that news has been confirmed via the FIA, at the same time pulling the plug on blue ribbon event Monaco at the end of May.

The FIA statement in full:

In view of the continued global spread of COVID-19 and after ongoing discussions with Formula 1 and the three promoters, it has today been confirmed that the Formula 1 Dutch Grand Prix 2020, Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix 2020 and Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix 2020 will be postponed.
Due to the ongoing and fluid nature of the COVID-19 situation globally, the FIA, Formula 1 and the three promoters have taken these decisions in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans, which remains our primary concern.
The FIA and Formula 1 continue to work closely with affected promoters and local authorities to monitor the situation and take the appropriate amount of time to study the viability of potential alternative dates for each Grand Prix later in the year should the situation improve.

The FIA and Formula 1 expect to begin the 2020 Championship season as soon as it is safe to do so after May and will continue to regularly monitor the ongoing COVID-19 situation.

The next potential race for the start of the current Formula One season is now the Azerbaijan round on June 7th.

Original Source: FIA

Got a question about Grand Prix racing? Head over to the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start a thread today!

Monaco cancelled.jpg

Last edited:
Well I can't honestly see how the FIA nor the teams could plan for these races given the current situation, the measures in force, and the fact that there is absolutely no indication of when life will get back to normal - hell this is fast becoming the new normal.

Im afraid Zandvoort will not survive after all this rebuild.
Expect some tracks go bankrupt and closed around the globe.

Could be that 2020 is done for all sport.It is going to be ironic for us sim racers that sim racing will be the beneficiary of this entire thing and real motorsport is likely to come back as a shadow of itself.Last time I looked there were nearly 10000 members logged into Iracing.That is up from 6-7000 about a week ago.That translates into big money for development of new games & features for all sims.

For some context World War 2 finished in Sep 1945 and the first F1 Grand Prix was Nice Grand Prix the following April (with the old pre war cars)
So I think the racing will probably start behind closed doors in specific countries 6 months after there are close to zero corona virus deaths & very few new cases.Racing will be back but it could be that economic strain sees less manufacturers & less wealthy entrants with money to spend on racing.

That was to be expected, until we see the end of the COVID-19 threat, we should not expect much activities involving groups of people gathering at the same place. It will pass, we will gather again to celebrate the thing we like to watch.

Just watched an interview with a virologist on German TV saying that professional soccer will probably not be back before spring 2021. He talks about various waves of the virus sweeping across Europe roughly every three months in 2020. I think one should very slowly come to grips with the idea that 2020 will be a year of hibernation for most of us. I've already started to getting used to looking at my favourite sports site for about half a second and then going back to Home Office (and who would ever have guessed how difficult it is to not be able to just walk down the hall and tell A to get B in order to do x). Electronic communication is … tedious.

That was to be expected, until we see the end of the COVID-19 threat, we should not expect much activities involving groups of people gathering at the same place. It will pass, we will gather again to celebrate the thing we like to watch.
tbh i'm very pessimistic about all this.
first, there is a downward spiral about money, it just doesn't make sense to dump so much money into new and better race cars anymore, within 5 years from now at least, given the economic and social situation.
Second, the outbreak will totally kill the popularity of republican party, which is IMO great, but that also means the people that hate cars will win.
I doubt we'll see any serious budgets invested into racing within next 5 years, and the racing will officaly become hated by general public, remaint of the past. Or will go 100% electric.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 298 13.4%