F1 2010 F1 Driving and Setup Guides

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hey guys,

I've just bought a wheel and I'm interested in learning how to drive properly.

Does anyone have any links to driving guides, or books I can buy that will teach me about racing a car, and an F1 car correctly?

I'd also like to learn about how changing things in setups will change the way the car will handle. If anyone has any links to books or guides, I'd really appreciate it :)

Thanks
xreyuk.

The front Right locks up at that chicane turn 7-8 at Bahrain.
I initially played with brake balance to no effect. In the end I returned to my original settings and took the view that this wheel must be more unweighted there due to track undulations. I now simply ignore it and get off the brakes to allow good turn in.
PS dont approach this chicane too wide as it then makes a mountain out of a molehill. A smaller "shimmy" or Slalom is in my view more effcient there as by taking a wide entry you are simply increasing the amount that you are diverging/moving unneccesarily the centre of mass. So aim straighter at the apex, brake-release-turn in.

Agree completely with Lecardinal on the physics. If you are cornering at the limit of adhesion then braking as well will exceed the limits.
Like wise if braking at the limits of adhesion then turning will not only exceed the adhesive limits but turn the car away from its most effective longitudinal axis and unweight certain wheels slightly applying different levels of grip.
Try braking and turning a 911 and you will know what I mean. The engine is a big lump behind you and if not kept exactly behind you it will want to overtake you!
A nice metaphor is balancing a a hammer on the palm of you hand with the head uppermost. Very imbalaned item kept in balance by forces being longitudinal. Move your hand sideways and the hammer head will want to overtake the handle. This is a simple demonstration of what happend when you steer under brakes.
But yes in-game is not physics but a model of physics and it will allow some breaking of this rule.

The front Right locks up at that chicane turn 7-8 at Bahrain.
I initially played with brake balance to no effect. In the end I returned to my original settings and took the view that this wheel must be more unweighted there due to track undulations. I now simply ignore it and get off the brakes to allow good turn in.
PS dont approach this chicane too wide as it then makes a mountain out of a molehill. A smaller "shimmy" or Slalom is in my view more effcient there as by taking a wide entry you are simply increasing the amount that you are diverging/moving unneccesarily the centre of mass. So aim straighter at the apex, brake-release-turn in.

Agree completely with Lecardinal on the physics. If you are cornering at the limit of adhesion then braking as well will exceed the limits.
Like wise if braking at the limits of adhesion then turning will not only exceed the adhesive limits but turn the car away from its most effective longitudinal axis and unweight certain wheels slightly applying different levels of grip.
Try braking and turning a 911 and you will know what I mean. The engine is a big lump behind you and if not kept exactly behind you it will want to overtake you!
A nice metaphor is balancing a a hammer on the palm of you hand with the head uppermost. Very imbalaned item kept in balance by forces being longitudinal. Move your hand sideways and the hammer head will want to overtake the handle. This is a simple demonstration of what happend when you steer under brakes.
But yes in-game is not physics but a model of physics and it will allow some breaking of this rule.

Do you mean holding the handle in your palm, or the hammer head? Just to help me understand :)

Thanks for the posts guys, maybe I am just locking up and not seeing it, but I understand that you can't corner properly whilst breaking, however if you're applying light-ish braking, whilst slightly turning you can get away with it (like the last corner in Valencia).

Thanks for the tips on Bahrain :)

@David - Do you have any comments on the braking, I've found I can pretty much slam on at first, then slightly release the pressure the slower I get, I don't appear to be locking up, but advice is good :)

Don't suppose any of you guys know about the steering wheel question I started a thread for?

"Do you mean holding the handle in your palm, or the hammer head? Just to help me understand :)"
The answer to that question is in the sentence.
"A nice metaphor is balancing a a hammer on the palm of you hand with the head uppermost."

The car behaviour in the last corner at Valencia is not realistic you can be on the brakes and turning and part airborne and it still tracks true.

I brake at 100% and release B4/during turn in and try to balance car on the throttle. So yes

"Do you mean holding the handle in your palm, or the hammer head? Just to help me understand :)"
The answer to that question is in the sentence.
"A nice metaphor is balancing a a hammer on the palm of you hand with the head uppermost."

The car behaviour in the last corner at Valencia is not realistic you can be on the brakes and turning and part airborne and it still tracks true.

I brake at 100% and release B4/during turn in and try to balance car on the throttle. So yes

Cheers. So in real life at Valencia they're not actually braking whilst turning before the last corner?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back