F1: Drivers Pushing for Greater Head Protection for 2017 Onwards

Closed cockpit, well... Then it isn't F1 anymore. Formula-cars means open cockpit for me. Then how it's gonna develope. Closed cockpit, then soon comes fenders, soon they are building aero things etc. Between wings and fenders Oh my, soon we have Formula prototype 1. Same as LMP. Because, rules follow rules year after year. F1 has beed killed already years ago, it cannot come back because modern day...pfff. Glory is gone, it is all about bling and saving everything. True racing... We did have it.

Closed cockpit, well... Then it isn't F1 anymore. Formula-cars means open cockpit for me. Then how it's gonna develope. Closed cockpit, then soon comes fenders, soon they are building aero things etc. Between wings and fenders Oh my, soon we have Formula prototype 1. Same as LMP. Because, rules follow rules year after year. F1 has beed killed already years ago, it cannot come back because modern day...pfff. Glory is gone, it is all about bling and saving everything. True racing... We did have it.
That's teh exact same thing people said in the 70's when sidepods were introduced... Look how we have fenders and stuff now, oh wait we don't.

The only reason Bianchi died was that he drove too fast in rain under yellow flag. This is soley the result of reckless driving, motivated from an unawareness of the risks a driver actually takes (ironically since the sport became so save).
Unfortunately, as soon as the drivers got a majority in terms of safety, things will change...

How do they get drivers out of LMP cars when they crash? Or even GT cars? I'm sure F1 engineers could come up with a fairly redundant system for removing the canopy when needed.

The fact would remain that the canopy probably wouldn't have save Jules, there's probably no way to engineer for that kind of accident. It would stop debris from hitting the driver and would protect the driver from being mounted by another car or being flipped over. The canopy should reduce drag and make them go slightly faster.

The original canopy design that was being passed around was a one piece affair. If that was used and say the front of the canopy got trapped it would be very difficult to get the driver out quickly. I'm assuming they mean a fire. Whether a two piece "fighter jet" canopy arrangement is better I'm not sure. Like you say though I'm sure a solution could be met if it was needed.

The ACO (or FIA I can't remember) wanted to introduce hatches on the roofs of the GT cars so that a driver can be extracted through the top of the car. Not sure how far that idea got though! May be in place already. EDIT: From the Aston Martin Website "From a safety viewpoint the GTE will feature the latest 8862 seat; impact foam in the driver’s door; as well as removable door glazing and a mandatory roof access hatch to aid driver extraction in an emergency."

On the LMP cars I think the door can be quickly removed via the hinge but like you say you still need to get the driver out safely. Thankfully the driver is so heavily enclosed that in most big accidents the driver has managed to get themselves out the car without assistance.

That's teh exact same thing people said in the 70's when sidepods were introduced... Look how we have fenders and stuff now, oh wait we don't.
Well In my opinion, sidepods belongs in Formula-cars and yes did pull out those discussions. But it is quite different than start closing a cockpit.

Tell that to Jackie Stewart, he's not gonna be happy.

Seriously, do you guys really believe what you are writing? :O_o:

Yes. short answer.

If I'd have it my way the last thing I would change is the cockpit design, with first being track rules, equipment and personnel. Then track inspection, done yearly, and a month then a week before races. Then for debris flying off cars would be a serious fine and some form of points and disqualification from a set number of races depending on the accident. The Maldonados of the sport would be out of their country's money in two races time, that spear move in Bahrain was just flabbergasting to say the least, utter disrespect for your fellow driver and the sport.

Honestly a lot of things can be done to the sport as a whole, that would not infringe on viewing pleasure and excitement of old without the adding of canopies or otherwise, however those pieces do have a place on the car. Simply put F1 is and should be at the bleeding edge of technology, the sport changes from race to race, but band-aid solutions for extremes do not lessen the risk of injury without continuously looking at every other detail.

How do they get drivers out of LMP cars when they crash? Or even GT cars? I'm sure F1 engineers could come up with a fairly redundant system for removing the canopy when needed.
There is a canopy in the roof of the car where it can be removed if needed. Also, the marshalls can cut the roof of the car.

Drivers used to wear leather helmets too, I don't mind if they evolve into a safer sport and keep the Fighter Jet look vs. the Flip-Flop thong look. Remember its not your head out there riding around at 320kph. The people behind the wheel want this change. Who are we to tell them not protect themselves at the expense of our entertainment???

Sure, I'm all for more protection for the drivers, it's not the risk of them dying that makes it interesting. Hell the reason I so love going back watching the start of Spa 98 is because I know no one was seriously hurt.

The dreamer in me would also hope that extra safety could mean some older F1 tracks could make a comeback. I know it won't happen, and that's part of why F1 has lost it's allure, not the threat of fatalities.

Yes. short answer.

If I'd have it my way the last thing I would change is the cockpit design, with first being track rules, equipment and personnel. Then track inspection, done yearly, and a month then a week before races. Then for debris flying off cars would be a serious fine and some form of points and disqualification from a set number of races depending on the accident. The Maldonados of the sport would be out of their country's money in two races time, that spear move in Bahrain was just flabbergasting to say the least, utter disrespect for your fellow driver and the sport.

Honestly a lot of things can be done to the sport as a whole, that would not infringe on viewing pleasure and excitement of old without the adding of canopies or otherwise, however those pieces do have a place on the car. Simply put F1 is and should be at the bleeding edge of technology, the sport changes from race to race, but band-aid solutions for extremes do not lessen the risk of injury without continuously looking at every other detail.

Well its a good job you don't have it your way then. Track inspections are done twice a week
and everyday of a race weekend.

You may wish to look into things before posting things you most clearly no nothing about. They need to be safer for the drivers. Having the head sticking out of a car in today's motorsport is just mindless.

My brother in-law does marshalling and he wasworking at brands hatch the day Henry Surtees died. He could tell you how heart braking it was for him to be there and have to see that and for the guys and girls that had to pull his life less body out of his car.That poor lad died because his head was exposed. So please tell me again how its all wrong!!!

Yes I 100% agree with you about Paster Maldonado he should be banned as should any driver that drives the way he does.

Formula 1 is not the leading edge in motorsport and has not been since the 70's LMP1 is the most advanced cars around and have been for some time.

A safer sport is a happy sport. So much more fun for the fans around the world that can watch and go to see there motorsport and know that at worst a driver will brake some bones. I can tell you now that day cant come soon enough.

When do I get this solution in front of my kart?

So will Formula 3, GP2, Formula Ford adopt these measures?

I would like to hope so. I know Indaycar are also working on a system for there cars. Its at times like this I really wish all those around the world in charge of motorsports would all get together and the drivers to and put a plan together and fix this asap.

My brother in-law does marshalling and he wasworking at brands hatch the day Henry Surtees died. He could tell you how heart braking it was for him to be there and have to see that and for the guys and girls that had to pull his life less body out of his car.That poor lad died because his head was exposed. So please tell me again how its all wrong!!!

I understand your frustration in this matter but can you tell me how to make the Isle of Man TT races safer? How about the Ulster GP or the Dundrod races? How about all the other real motorcycle races on real roads with trees, lamp posts, stone walls etc? Can you tell me how to make them safer?
Just tell me what they can do. OK?

Martin Brundle said that even if they added a closed cockpit they still might get hurt cuz and other Racing Sports with closed cockpits Driver still get hurt and sometimes die.
So i still think they have to add it will help some drivers.
And how about dirt on the closed cockpit so they have think how to make this work.

that day cant come soon enough
That day will never come, unless we remove all the drivers from the cockpit and continue racing with RC cars.

Danger is an inevitable part of motorsport, if drivers, or even spectators, don't wish to risk a heavy injury (driving on the edge gives a rush they obviously are all addicted to) they can also choose not to race and play chess on weekend's.

Every fatal loss is one too many, but I am sure if we could ask the death about their opinion they would do it all over again, because of the kick. I can't imagine Senna not being a driver and instead ending his days as an 93 year old office clerk.

Well its a good job you don't have it your way then. Track inspections are done twice a week
and everyday of a race weekend.

You may wish to look into things before posting things you most clearly no nothing about. They need to be safer for the drivers. Having the head sticking out of a car in today's motorsport is just mindless.

Yes I 100% agree with you about Paster Maldonado he should be banned as should any driver that drives the way he does.

Formula 1 is not the leading edge in motorsport and has not been since the 70's LMP1 is the most advanced cars around and have been for some time.

A safer sport is a happy sport. So much more fun for the fans around the world that can watch and go to see there motorsport and know that at worst a driver will brake some bones. I can tell you now that day cant come soon enough.

I'm not familiar with track prep and inspection when it comes to pre-race inspection, race weekends etc. What I meant to convey is that everything that encompasses a race weekend deserves a long stern look for the added safety of all involved, not limited to the driver. Thorough top to bottom inspection I'm sure is not done weekly, again im not well versed in this.

Also, the head sticking out is not the same as being in the open (which it is). In all cases there are events leading to the accident that have a certain degree of control and in the end you have debris that causes the damage. You're talking about an incident I'm not familiar with, but take Massa's recent incident. IMO, it's pure luck he's here today. The engineering and testing required to have an incident like that have a significantly reduced damage outcome will be welcome, but this halo device might not have helped given the size of the component that hit him (almost perfectly missing the entire halo structure).

Head protection is part of the answer, if you look at this objectively and see what else could have been done you will come to the same general conclusion. These events always take place when too much slack is given, and in this sport, at the speed they can generate, the Gs etc. there is a price for that.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%