F1 Considering Sim Racing to Test New Ideas

Cough! Cough!
Assetto Corsa F1 Silver Stone using Marcel Pfister Mixed Reality technique.

This is not mixed reality! It's virtual reality!

Especially for Max Verstappen who is simply using a sim rig with a VR headset on.

And with the help of a green screen the video shows him 'in game' which is, i guess, the mixed bit. This is purely for the viewing audience and has no effect on his experience.

It's not mixed for the driver, it's virtual!

Quote the video title "
Exact & Max Verstappen: Being Tech Curious with Mixed Reality. Episode 1: Behind The Scenes"

So how did YOU come up with One plus one equals Three, they mention mixed reality in the video, so it IS mixed reality, who am we suppose to believe, some know it all reader on this site, or what they are actually talking about in the video, I know which I believe. Have a brilliant weekend.

some know it all reader on this site.

Let's not get personal, hey?

Maybe I didn't present it as one, but it was just an opinoin.

These videos that mix footage of the physical driver and virtual game could perhaps be loosely termed 'mixed reality' but the point I'm making is the actual driver is wearing a closed VR headset which excludes the outside world from the experience.

This is not, in my opinion, mixed reality.

Mixed reality, in terms of the actual person experiencing, is about the merging of their virtual world and the physical world into the vision. For the driver in this and other mixed reality vidoes, they are not the beneficiary of the mixed reality video editing, the audience is.

Therefore the driver is not experiencing mixed reality.

In my (know it all) opinion.

@ears Don't pay attention to what our Mel says, she is just wandering on every forums trying to create fights and make people upset! Is she really a girl? Well, wonder... or not! But don't pay attention to her, your purpose was very clear... and just evident!

Last edited:
Inverting the Field would be a good start to improving the racing. Providing points for Top Qualifying would prevent sandbagging, while the guys starting up front are on newer tires :O_o: Seriously though, this is one of the first good Idea's I've heard from F1 in a while.

All F1 has to do is get rid of most of the damn aero. Let's see the drivers lighting up the rears as they blast out of corners and be able to get closer without losing front grip.

Mixed reality, in terms of the actual person experiencing, is about the merging of their virtual world and the physical world into the vision.

So the concept of true mixed reality is Star Treks Holodeck?

Especially for Max Verstappen who is simply using a sim rig with a VR headset on.

And with the help of a green screen the video shows him 'in game' which is, i guess, the mixed bit. This is purely for the viewing audience and has no effect on his experience.

It's not mixed for the driver, it's virtual!

It is mixed reality if he sees his own hands and physical steering wheel inside the VR!
Oculus and Vive is virtual reality, because you see only virtual hands and steering wheel!

Ideas for formula 1:
As well as the main race, how about a short sprint race every race weekend - like they do in BTCC, no?
Could have a random grid for the sprint race, maybe 10 laps.

If F1 wants challenging cars, fun races and good driving... It's easy... and all about tyres... just make the pacejka less flat!

P.S.: Even with those sad engines...

Last edited:
So the concept of true mixed reality is Star Treks Holodeck?

No. Star Trek is not real.

It is mixed reality if he sees his own hands and physical steering wheel inside the VR!
Oculus and Vive is virtual reality, because you see only virtual hands and steering wheel!

Absolutely.

But this is my point. He's wearing an Oculus Rift. He can only see the virtual wheel. He can't see anything from the outside world when actually interacting with the virtual one.

Last edited:
No. Star Trek is not real.

I am aware of that you know, but the "mixed" aspect as you describe is not available with current tech. i.e. you state that it's not "mixed" if the user has a VR headset on...so that only means a system like the holodeck can do it as you describe.

I am aware of that you know, but the "mixed" aspect as you describe is not available with current tech. i.e. you state that it's not "mixed" if the user has a VR headset on...so that only means a system like the holodeck can do it as you describe.

Yes, I think so. Maybe I got confused, I think there's a Star Trek VR game out but I've never played it.

I think the Microsoft Hololens is it called? That's more augmented reality in that the headset, which is more like a set of glasses, adds to the real world you can see around you. That, however, is not what's in play here.

I'm not a fan of these 'mixed reality' videos as they present a technology that doesn't really exist, at least not in any way that can be experienced by a gamer.

In the video linked, they say the achieve it by overlaying in-game footage over a RECORDING of Max Verstappen driving.

It's all done with post processing. It's not an experience, it's just a video edit. Like Jurassic Park. Nobody really saw the dinasours. They don't exist.

In fact it's probably an even worse experience for the driver because, when they're actually driving the car with the headset on, for the recording, they can't even have the in-game steering wheel and hands as these would clash on the final edited video with their own hands and steering wheel. So in the game, when they're driving, they see none.

Virtual Reality brings a whole new experience to the gamer.

Mixed Reality is a post processing video trick for Youtube.

Yes, I think so. Maybe I got confused, I think there's a Star Trek VR game out but I've never played it.

I think the Microsoft Hololens is it called? That's more augmented reality in that the headset, which is more like a set of glasses, adds to the real world you can see around you. That, however, is not what's in play here.

I'm not a fan of these 'mixed reality' videos as they present a technology that doesn't really exist, at least not in any way that can be experienced by a gamer.

In the video linked, they say the achieve it by overlaying in-game footage over a RECORDING of Max Verstappen driving.

It's all done with post processing. It's not an experience, it's just a video edit. Like Jurassic Park. Nobody really saw the dinasours. They don't exist.

In fact it's probably an even worse experience for the driver because, when they're actually driving the car with the headset on, for the recording, they can't even have the in-game steering wheel and hands as these would clash on the final edited video with their own hands and steering wheel. So in the game, when they're driving, they see none.

Virtual Reality brings a whole new experience to the gamer.

Mixed Reality is a post processing video trick for Youtube.

Of course its a trick! :) awesome looking trick though!!

Of course its a trick! :) awesome looking trick though!!

Yeah it's clever. But I wish it would be used to publicise VR more. Because VR exists. Really. For people. It's even getting pretty acciessibly priced too.

I don't want to see videos of Max Verstappen talking about his 'experience of Mixed Reality' and how he feels he'd be faster using it than triple screens, how he has better depth perception, how he'd be more consistent using it.

BECAUSE IT'S NOT REAL! HE'S TALKING ABOUT VR! And it would be even better if he was allowed to see his virtual steering wheel and arms.

But it's not his fault, he is but a child.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 273 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 399 40.0%