F1 considering Cheaper, Noisier and more powerful engines

David O'Reilly

A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30553822

In my view what has been achieved with the 2014 power units is a technical tour de force.
The performance and fuel consumption combination is incredible.
but
A bit like putting man on the moon.
a great achievement, very expensive and possibly not practical to do 20 times a year!
Reducing costs would be nice.

Personally I think they are going to be saying its all about cutting costs, but in reality its to try and do anything to slow down Mercedes, simply because Renault and Ferrari have no answer to Mercedes because they are going to be trying to catch up the gap and as they are doing that Mercedes will just extend the gap. However it will cut costs which is good but as Brundle said, there is enough money to run 24 cars however it isn't distributed fair enough for 24 or even 22

Personally I think they are going to be saying its all about cutting costs, but in reality its to try and do anything to slow down Mercedes, simply because Renault and Ferrari have no answer to Mercedes because they are going to be trying to catch up the gap and as they are doing that Mercedes will just extend the gap. However it will cut costs which is good but as Brundle said, there is enough money to run 24 cars however it isn't distributed fair enough for 24 or even 22
Interesting angle. It would throw the cars up in the air again on engine performance.
However Its hard to say its mainly for that when small teams are paying 20 million for an engine that in reality apart from the very impresive science experiement adds nothing.

I guess it has single handedly managed to drive down the international oil price :rolleyes:and could potentially have the effect of unseating Putin due to the resulting economic hardship in Russia.
For that we can than F1.
:thumbsup:

Budget wise I sometimes look at FR 3.5 as a comparator. The racing isnt so different and a team is prob circa 2 million to run. Thats a full grid for less than HRTs budget in 2011.

Yes there are many many other big costs such as single rather tan shared chassis and then the law of dimishing returns that means that within the strict rules you need 400 people to find 1 sec a lap.
M/Benz F1 has 1000 staff.
My central point is that the spectacle would not be diminished with a 50% cut in budgets. Then F1 has twice the money spare.

So Darren is actually might be about costs. After all they could sort the MB advantage by just unfreezing the engine development.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%