F1 Clashes with Le Mans in 2016

"I'm going to miss Le Mans to watch some !*!*!* F1 race," said no-one ever :)

People might have missed it but there are no good "human rights" countries these days. Seems everyone and their grandma are out there bombing randoms somewhere. :(

Tony Stewart also got the benefit of running in the early IRL era.
Indianapolis was the only exception though, and that's my focus here. Since they needed 33 drivers, the race included Champ Car and IRL cars. Otherwise they were separate. Besides, Indy has always been an "open" race to some extent, unlike the closed shops in Europe (note: except LeMans, which is why it is so special, in my book).

they too are racing in controversial places like China and Bahrain, both places with very poor human rights records.

You forgot to mention the United States, you know, the country responsible for more death and destruction around the planet than all other 200 or so countries combined.

mod edit : What you said may or may not be true, but this forum is not the place for such a debate, and certainly not the place for the videos you posted.

Video links removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Indianapolis was the only exception though, and that's my focus here. Since they needed 33 drivers, the race included Champ Car and IRL cars. Otherwise they were separate. Besides, Indy has always been an "open" race to some extent, unlike the closed shops in Europe (note: except LeMans, which is why it is so special, in my book).

I meant that as in the field for those races included almost no one. Anyone decent with a decently funded ride was going to have a good finish there.

The formula for F1 is in the crapper and thanks to Pay TV deals I couldn't watch it if I wanted to. Current F1 & Baku vs Current WEC & LeMans is a no brainer - guess it might be to stop the whole grid switching to LeMans. Shame I was hoping to see Alonso in a competitive car again.

Oh yeah I've got a fix for the noise problem its called a better engine spec - how anyone can come up with this rule/development combo I don't know but like an 81 Lada you can't polish a T&*D so bin it already.

I agree with clamping down on track limits.
I reserve judgement for the artificial louder engines. I think they should let each manufacturer choose the type of engine they run, 6, 8 10, 12, 16... That's what F1 was all about. Technological innovation for racing. It's a spectacle, not R&D for your family car.
As far as running the Azerbaijan race on the same day as LeMans, I don't even know where to start. Having a race in Azerbaijan is inherently ludicrous when storied European circuits that helped build F1 haven't been raced in years. To hold it the same day as LeMans, is simply stupid.
It's not like one cannot take a couple of hours off LeMans to watch F1. Few of us watch the whole race anyway. But as a matter of prestige and image, you have LeMans on one side and Azerbaijan on the other. Who in their right mind think that F1 is going to benefit from the comparison?

As far as this being a ploy by Ecclestone to buy F1 back on the cheap, maybe, but does the guy think he is immortal? There must be drivers that started racing after Bernie took charge of F1 that must have died of old age. Does he really think he is immortal?

Bernie, what we have been saying is that you are "Immoral" not "Immortal". Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with clamping down on track limits.
I reserve judgement for the artificial louder engines. I think they should let each manufacturer choose the type of engine they run, 6, 8 10, 12, 16... That's what F1 was all about. Technological innovation for racing. It's a spectacle, not R&D for your family car.
As far as running the Azerbaijan race on the same day as LeMans, I don't even know where to start. Having a race in Azerbaijan is inherently ludicrous when storied European circuits that helped build F1 haven't been raced in years. To hold it the same day as LeMans, is simply stupid.
It's not like one cannot take a couple of hours off LeMans to watch F1. Few of us watch the whole race anyway. But as a matter of prestige and image, you have LeMans on one side and Azerbaijan on the other. Who in their right mind think that F1 is going to benefit from the comparison?

As far as this being a ploy by Ecclestone to buy F1 back on the cheap, maybe, but does the guy think he is immortal? There must be drivers that started racing after Bernie took charge of F1 that must have died of old age. Does he really think he is immortal?

Bernie, what we have been saying is that you are "Immoral" not "Immortal". Sorry for the confusion.
+1.

I wonder how the organisers of the Azerbaijan race feel about it? If I was forking out millions to host a race, I'd be pretty pissed off that Bernie just cost me a lot of my audience.

As Sk3ptik0n said, it is ridiculous we are going to Baku at the expense of other circuits anyway, and add on top the fact they're going to some all-look-the-same street circuit instead of a purpose built race track. F1 is pretty absurd nowadays, which saddens me to say as a life long fan.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 188 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 138 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 245 13.5%