F1 Clashes with Le Mans in 2016

From a viewers perspective it's totally fine because there'll be a GP on right after the finish of Le Mans, but for drivers like Hulkenberg it's bad because it means he can't be there.
From a viewers perspective? Wich local resident in Azerbedjanistanstan will ever view the F1 race there? Right, almost none because it will be the rich foreign bastards and the handful oil company owners who will attend that race. If the FIA (read Bernie Ecclestone) would have ANY respect for its F1 drivers AND the F1 fans (count me out), they would use all that wasted money for a race in a desolated country to invest in proper F1 cars and historic tracks and simply cancel that race. If I were Nico Hulkenberg, I'd leave that race for the Le Mans 24H and they could stick the F1 contract up their new exhaust pipes.
I still don't understand why 1 bastard like Bernie can have so much power....it's because they let him!! Scr*w him and scr*w F1, WEC is the way to go with racing!!

And for the decision about the track limits : agreed (but I wonder why this has to be a debat because it's only logical to me drivers respect the lines of a track and get penalised for not respecting track limits, it has been a rule for like forever???)

And for the decision about louder cars: good for the fans who go and see the races, I am happy for them but if I may suggest a simple GT endurance race? 4x longer race time for 4x lesser the money with nice enjoyable battles on a pace more easy on the eyes ;) in stead of 2 hrs of turbo buzzing lightning fly by's.

What is the source for that? Would be a great way for FI to get a youngster in the car for the weekend or sell the seat for lots of cash.

I mean a possible points score in F1 vs the chance to win LeMans back to back that is usually not a hard decision to make.

/edit: By the way Hulkenberg is sponsored by a private jet company since a few month. If he would be able to make both races on that weekend, that would be a priceless PR coup for them.
If I were Nico Hulkenberg, I wouldn't doubt for a second to turn my back to F1 for that weekend. I don't think money is an issue. You are so right about this. Only it would be very unwise to enter an F1 car after a 24h battle at Le Mans, or vice versa ;)

If I were Nico Hulkenberg, I wouldn't doubt for a second to turn my back to F1 for that weekend. I don't think money is an issue. You are so right about this. Only it would be very unwise to enter an F1 car after a 24h battle at Le Mans, or vice versa ;)
I think that is no issue. A good driver needs only 3 or 4 corners to refocus on the other car, but I guess after a 24h of LeMans you are a bit tired :D

Le Mans is already losing a lot of it's glory for me. Don't get me wrong the racing is still fantastic and being there in person is even better. However there has been a massive change in when the ACO, nothing more than a local racing club, organized the race of races or during the last years when the FIA got their hands on the event.

Entry prices are on the rise. The free online coverage that the ACO provided is not longer accessible and the event has become a commercial circus for big brands similar to what happens in F1. What once was a race for ordinary people is now rapidly becoming yet another event for the rich and famous.

If the ACO still has some love left in them please terminate the relationship and break away from the FIA and continue to do what you did best for almost a 100 years: organize an epic 24 hour race all by yourself and restore the glory and atmosphere that made this event the best motorsport experience on the planet.

Funny though that the FIA puts the Baku GP directly against Le Mans. The biggest race of the year vs the corruptest race of the year. It's a complete joke that this free country gets a Grand Prix.

Wanna bet that the BBC cannot broadcast this Grand Prix? The British broadcasters are banned from the media in Azerbaijan.

Massive sporting events are the best way to cover up a wrong regime as history has shown.

From a viewers perspective? Wich local resident in Azerbedjanistanstan will ever view the F1 race there? Right, almost none because it will be the rich foreign bastards and the handful oil company owners who will attend that race.
Well, clearly I meant the TV viewers. Not people at the actual race.

Last edited:
Funny though that the FIA puts the Baku GP directly against Le Mans. The biggest race of the year vs the corruptest race of the year. It's a complete joke that this free country gets a Grand Prix.
If your pockets are deep enough, no location is off limits for Bernie. Heck, I bet if Syria could cough up enough money, Bernie would try to place a GP there.

Wanna bet that the BBC cannot broadcast this Grand Prix? The British broadcasters are banned from the media in Azerbaijan.

Massive sporting events are the best way to cover up a wrong regime as history has shown.

Why ban the BBC? You shouldn't do that to a kindred spirit.

And unfortunately you are a little late. Jean and the boys continue to go to Bahrain, which edges out even Azerbaijan as #1 on the "not free" corruption list.

Kind of ironic that Haas gets to go pump up both economies when his President is jailing people who "associate" with terrorism.

Last edited:
Of all the race it had to be Azerbaijan. Pathetic. If any of the drivers chose Le Mans over the GP it shows which is obviously the better racing series right now.

Track limits... the problem isn't the rules, the run-offs, or any of that, it's the inconsistent stewarding and lack of punishing the drivers when they go out of the white lines. Punish the drivers and they'll stop doing it, simple. A newly worded paragraph isn't going to change that. And they still have that ridiculous line about giving out penalties based on whether the driver gained an advantage. If it was faster to stay inside the lines, the drivers would never cut the track. It shouldn't matter anyway - if the rules say to stay within the lines and you don't, it means you broke the rules. It should be a cut and dry penalty just like speeding in the pit lane is. I don't know why F1 has so many issues with enforcing track limits when nearly every other series handle it just fine (well, except maybe IMSA Tudor Championship ).

Track limits... the problem isn't the rules, the run-offs, or any of that, it's the inconsistent stewarding and lack of punishing the drivers when they go out of the white lines. Punish the drivers and they'll stop doing it, simple. A newly worded paragraph isn't going to change that. And they still have that ridiculous line about giving out penalties based on whether the driver gained an advantage. If it was faster to stay inside the lines, the drivers would never cut the track. It shouldn't matter anyway - if the rules say to stay within the lines and you don't, it means you broke the rules. It should be a cut and dry penalty just like speeding in the pit lane is. I don't know why F1 has so many issues with enforcing track limits when nearly every other series handle it just fine (well, except maybe IMSA Tudor Championship ).
Agreed. That's similar to the double yellow situation, which is also ignored by drivers as it isn't punished. I remember a F3 race a few years back (at Oschersleben I think) where Vietoris inherited the win as almost every other driver received a time penalty for ignoring a yellow flag. Start penalizing drivers for ignoring rules (properly, not inconsistent and depending on the mood of the stewards) and they might start respecting them again.

Guys Hulkenberg can still defend his title

He doesn't "have" to start the race

he can just start driving on the thirth stint
and normally the 3th driver change is around 7-8 o clock

Very happy to hear about the sound. However, it's not just about sheer volume but sound quality/characteristics as-well and the current cars sound like vacum cleaners and raising the volume will just make that same vaccum cleaner sound a little louder. Better than nothing I guess.

Guys Hulkenberg can still defend his title

He doesn't "have" to start the race

he can just start driving on the thirth stint
and normally the 3th driver change is around 7-8 o clock

This stuff used to happen routinely over here, but has gotten quieter after the late 90s. I remember when Andretti first did the "double duty" as the call it here when a driver goes three plus hours at Indy (which is arguably a much more demanding race mentally than any road course) and then went to Charlotte by helicopter to run another 4-6 hours at the Coca-Cola 600. Another mentally crippling race, if not physically. Nobody ever got a podium in both places. Some did well at Indy, but they never were really big names in both, like, for instance, Tony Stewart or Juan Pablo Montoya.

I find it incredible enough that Tony Stewart got a 6th at Indy and a 3rd at Charlotte. In his day, he was an old school throwback, and still is, but NASCAR has taken him for now.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 185 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing