F1 | Chinese Grand Prix 'Postponed' Due to Coronavirus Outbreak

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
In fully expected news, the FIA have confirmed the fifth round of the FIA Formula One World Championship, the Chinese Grand Prix, will not take place on the schedule April 17th-19th date.

With the ongoing global Coronavirus outbreak resulting in many Chinese sporting events to be cancelled or postponed, Formula One have taken the sensible decision to accept a request to postpone the race in order to ensure the safety of teams, drivers, staff and spectators are maintained during what has been labelled as a 'global health emergency'.

Formula One was set to host a record breaking 22 Grand Prix races this season, flowing the inclusion of the Vietnamese Grand Prix and the welcome return of Zandvoort, however with China dropping off the schedule, and slots in which to replace the race few and far between, it seems like another 21-race season is in store for the travelling circus in the year ahead.

At present, the current position of the race organisers and the FIA is that the Chinese Grand Prix has been postponed, with no intention of reshuffling the race calendar to bridge the near one month gap between the preceding Vietnamese Grand Prix in Hanoi, and round six scheduled to take place of the newly re-profiled Zandvoort Circuit in the Netherlands.

Original Source: F1.com

Check out the RaceDepartment F1 Sub Forum for the latest news and discussion around the top level of open wheel motorsport.

As I understood the FIA asked Russia to swap but they rejected. Now they asked Abu Dhabi to postpone their race with two weeks so China GP can fit in that empty spot. Abu Dhabi 'demanded' they will remain the last race of the season.

Filling the gap with another race is apperently too short time notice to organize it and sell the tickets.

As I understood the FIA asked Russia to swap but they rejected. Now they asked Abu Dhabi to postpone their race with two weeks so China GP can fit in that empty spot. Abu Dhabi 'demanded' they will remain the last race of the season.

Filling the gap with another race is apperently too short time notice to organize it and sell the tickets.
Firstly, if they postponed Abu Dhabi by 2 weeks to fit China in, that would still mean that they're the last race of the season, so why would that be a problem?

Secondly, that would make the last race of the season on 13 December... I doubt that would be logistically possible as the teams would already be full steam ahead with work for 2021 by that time, especially with a hefty rules change cycle.

I don't see any other option but to just cancel it. They've done it in the past with no issues, I don't know why the need to reschedule this one.

It was the right decision to do this with over 50,000 infected cases in China of the virus its better to play it safe and halt the event as for the Hanoi event I would be monitoring that right now, I would say if it reaches 1000 infected cases I would put Hanoi on notice of postponement but if it exceeds 10,000 infected cases I would postpone Hanoi as well

It may seem a bit radical but Wuhan is 1358km from Hanoi while Shanghai is closer at 838.8km

Last edited:
I'm honestly really curious as to if they either fill the gap or somehow fit China in somewhere else. With such a tight schedule and the logistical nightmare it would cause however, the only viable option seems to be cancelling it. Though with the general sentiment I see surrounding the Shanghai circuit, I don't foresee too many people being to upset about this decision.

I wouldn't mind seeing this race get squeezed back into the calendar somehow. Feel to chuck virtual bricks at my head for saying this but...I actually think this track is a lot of fun.

I wouldn't mind seeing this race get squeezed back into the calendar somehow. Feel to chuck virtual bricks at my head for saying this but...I actually think this track is a lot of fun.
I like it too. But it's not worth the logistical nightmare that comes with it. And the same goes for if it were any other venue.

Firstly, if they postponed Abu Dhabi by 2 weeks to fit China in, that would still mean that they're the last race of the season, so why would that be a problem?

Secondly, that would make the last race of the season on 13 December... I doubt that would be logistically possible as the teams would already be full steam ahead with work for 2021 by that time, especially with a hefty rules change cycle.

I don't see any other option but to just cancel it. They've done it in the past with no issues, I don't know why the need to reschedule this one.
1.) That's what I meant. Sorry for my bad chosen wording (english not my native language)
2.) Agree.
3.) I guess because of the costs already made and they do not want to disappoint the local people because of this COVID19 unforseen drama? Cancelling it now is so definitive.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%