F1: Charlie Whiting Dies Age 66

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Charlie Whiting.jpg

Formula One is in mourning today following the shock news that long time Race Director Charlie Whiting has passed away.

Confirmed to have died while in Australia preparing for the opening round of the new Formula One season, Whiting will be replaced in his role at Melbourne by Michael Masi, who has previously enjoyed spells as Race Director for the Australian V8 Supercars and the Super2 support category, as well as having had involvement in Formula E..

Whiting, 66, has been a part of the Formula One circus for much of his professional life, having started out in the sport with the popular Hesketh team in 1977. For the 88 season Whiting would play an important role on the pit wall with Bernie Ecclestone’s Brabham team during a golden period for the squad, resulting in numerous race victories and two World Championships for Nelson Piquet in their 80’s hay day, before moving over to the other side of the fence and joining the organizational side of the sport for the 1988 season.

FIA President Jean Todt said: “It is with immense sadness that I learned of Charlie’s sudden passing. I have known Charlie Whiting for many years and he has been a great Race Director, a central and inimitable figure in Formula One who embodied the ethics and spirit of this fantastic sport.

"Formula 1 has lost a faithful friend and a charismatic ambassador in Charlie. All my thoughts, those of the FIA and entire motor sport community go out to his family, friends, and all Formula 1 lovers.”

Ross Brawn, Managing Director, Motorsports, Formula 1 said: “I have known Charlie for all of my racing life. We worked as mechanics together, became friends and spent so much time together at race tracks across the world.

"I was filled with immense sadness when I heard the tragic news. I’m devastated. It is a great loss not only for me personally but also the entire Formula 1 family, the FIA and motorsport as a whole. All our thoughts go out to his family.”

Having earned a reputation as an astute operator and someone with whom the teams could trust for advice and guidance, Whiting would be an ever present figure within the paddock over the next three decades.

RaceDepartment offers its sincere condolences to Charlie’s family and friends at this difficult time.

Join in the discussion at the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and catch the latest news from the fastest sport on earth.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Say what you want about him and his decisions, but he did a lot for the sport, especially for the safety. He was one of the pillars of F1, may he rest in peace and condolences to his family.

• Deleted member 205301

shocked : 66 is not old :( ...(off course there is no age for that...)
@++

last night was a weird night for me , and then i heard this news in the morning, rest in peace.
don't know if anyone else can be that calm and reasonable in the time of tensions ...
also here is a great art work tribute by : lollipopmancomics

We've all been irritated with Charlie at one time or another, but he has been a huge part of the F1 experience and will be greatly missed.

66 is pretty young these days.

Firstly we lost Sid and now Charlie. Two of the most influential people in modern F1.

He will be greatly missed I'm sure not just in F1 but for all the friendships and relationships he formed with teams and drivers over the years. He mentioned in an interview that he always did the best he could but you could never please everyone and he accepted that as part of the job, and I think we can all sympathise with that in the world of F1.

To give an idea of just how hard he worked, I was reading yesterday that they tried bringing in two people to possibly replace him in the near future...and they both couldn't cope! lol

Rest in Peace Charlie. There's probably some drivers up there that need kicking into touch (oversized wings, overtaking under a cloud, usual stuff) so have fun :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 315 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.3%