F1 Challenge 99 - 02

f1c-552x194.png
Incredible! The younger ones in the gaming community will hardly remember that this game even exists, I can hardly remember any game which is (nearly) 10 years old or older and is still in use in such a professional way as F1C is.

Of course there are a lot of games which are used at retro games LAN parties or whatever. But F1C is still used in leagues, it's still improved and still there are people which release Mods for it. Of course the community was bigger once and the Mods came out of the pipeline nearly every week, but that there are still people on it is really impressing. To be honest, we could say that F1C was a milestone for the gaming community. Since then the popularity of Modding, especially in Racing raised into somewhere Felix Baumgartner only could dream of. And for the milestone itself it dropped deeper then Felix Baumgartner could dream of too. But why F1C was such a milestone, what lead into the popularity of F1C? Why it's all gone and where will it lead?

Let's go back on Day Zero. A game called "F1 Challenge 99-02" was released on June 23rd for PC by the gaming giant EA Sports. Developed by ISI, a leading studio in racing games and a big advertising program in Europe it was long expected. And when it was there, finally, it fulfilled the the expectations in a enormous way. IGN gave it as rating 90% of 100, German GameStar Magazine gave it 89% of 100. The Graphics were once again a little bit improved compared to prequel F1 2002, the physics were absolutely realistic and the AI behavior broke all records. Back in these days F1C was THE racing game ever.

And the success of it raised. A modding team called "RH", known from F1 2002 already which brought some of the original game developers together, released their F1 2003 mod on July 30th 2003. It was probably the fastest released mod in a racing game ever. Another group, CTDP, followed with their F1 2003 mod in January 2004. The first modding Team battle ever raised. CTDP vs. RH, Quality vs. Quality. The community nearly raised a war about which one must be prefered. While CTDP had a bit better quality, RH was made for the slower PCs. CTDP gained the nickname "Crash to Desktop Project" while RH succeeded a bit more with their 2003 Mod.

But it all turned in 2004. While RH struggled to release their F1 2004 Mod and has not released it until April 2005, CTDP released their 2004 masterpiece already in November 2004. The success of CTDP F1 2004 was incredible. With their own ingame menu in carbon style and a complete new level of car modelling, texture quality and level of details they made it finally to a highly respected modding team. When finally RH came up with nearly the same quality of cars and a new made in game Menu no one really cared. And the success of F1C was at it's peak.

August 31, 2005 the unofficial sequel to F1C came out, rFactor. Developed by ISI too, it brought a complete new game engine (the legendary isiMotor2 engine), a whole new level of graphics and physics as well as new options in modding. It was absolutely clear that this is the new leading racing game. But because it came too late in 2005, the big modding teams as RH and CTDP continued Modding for F1C. CTDP released again their F1 2005 Mod before RH at November 26, 2005. RH followed on March 05, 2006. This time the modding teams had a draw. While CTDP was indeed the mod with the better quality it had no chance to survive against RH in the aspect of running smooth and nice on every PC. And in late 2006 a third concurrent shown up, the underdogs from SRM with their 2005 Mod. A great, but heavily underrated Mod by the way, which (except of the Helmets) had the same quality as RHs 2005 mod.

As it was clear that rFactor will take over now the dominating role F1C had in racing games for at least two years the big Teams made their step over to rF too. CTDP and RH tried it, CTDP released their F1 2005 for rF on August 7, 2006 while RH came to an abrupt end. They raised again in 2008 when GGSF1 released his F1 2007 mod on the base of RH 2005 for F1C. But the original RH quitted long before. CTDP struggled to make it to rFactor as well. The F1 2006 mod came one year too late, in 2008. Nowadays they are struggling even for members.

And that was the chance for F1C to raise again. A guy with the legendary name CrashKing released his F1 1996 mod alone. And let his 1995 Mod follow after it. The Turbo Mega Mod was released, and much more mods followed. The community changed for the first time. Now the dominating Teams, RH and CTDP, are gone and the community itself was now under the pressure of releasing Mods. Some of them raised themselves to a legendary status like CK did and others failed. But the long awaited F1 Mods never came. Why? There was no particular reason for it. Teams like VirtuaLM and SimBin formated themselves and made their way in the GT and Le Mans classes, GMT brought a DTM Mod and a WTCC mod followed too. Pre-1999 Mods were released really fast, Racesimulations became the new centre of F1C modding. But nobody except of GGSF1 tried to make an F1 mod. The leechers raised.

A dominating role in the last and still ongoing era of F1C was the leechers era. F1Mania released their CTDP F1 2006 conversion in 2007 without permission and since then the leeching teams were formed as mushrooms coming out of the ground. HLT as one of the biggest, VMT, SMT, VB, F1HU, KB, KC, AMT, SL, LMD. Especially since 3DSimEd allowed it to convert Codemasters F1 Cars in an easy way in 2010 the leechers were on a pretty good way to ruin the game and bury it after seven years. But then one man came and saved it: Armos. He was once a leecher as well, but finally decided to make a legal F1 2009 mod. To be honest, his cars were not the best in quality at the first release. But he raised F1C for a yet last time. He contacted GGSF1 to build an F1 2009 mod within the base of GGSF1s 2007 Mod and finally released it in 2010. A 2008, 2010 and 2011 mod followed. JasonXP brought us the 2006 Season and David Marques finally completed the gap of missing cars from 1989 to 1994. Finally we were able to play all F1 Seasons from 1979 to 2011 onwards. The probably biggest amount of Seasons a game will ever have! But the success of Armos' (and others) F1 mods has not stopped at F1 only, Carlos12295cf released his GP2 2005-2007 Seasons and 2004 F3000 mod while a GP3 mod is underway since then. Things looked promising.

Then the shock: The centre of F1C modding, Racesimulations.com, closed it's gates on December 5, 2012. Armos has gone too in July before, leaving an unfinished F1 2012 mod and a NASCAR 2011 mod. The community was dead. For the first time ever the F1C community was not able to communicate with each other at a central site. Several Racesimulations.com replacements raised and finally Race4Sim made it, starting on February 1st 2013 as a new centre for F1C. Even if the leechers continue to do their work and even if R4S was forced to set up new permission rules, F1C is alive - again. And will make it to it's 10th anniversary for sure. Not because it is still the best game out there, definitely not. But because of some man which brought it back from nowhere again and again. Because of people who love it and live it. Because of people which dedicate their whole free time to it, because of moderators which patently showed people what is right or wrong, because of people paying whole sites to let it be alive.

Let's be honest, the chance of F1C getting it's 20th anniversary with a community which is that big is pretty small. I'll doubt in a serious way that F1C will still be improved in 2023 as it's done today. I guess I will still play it, but I'm also sure the mods will stop once. Maybe not in the next few years, but in 2023.
We should thank all the people silently which had done so much for F1C and play it. As long as Windows can support it, because they gave us a lot. They gave us modding as it is nowadays, aiming for perfection. They showed us that still a nearly 10 year old game can be amazing. They gave us the biggest content a racing game will ever have. They formed EA Sports' F1 Challenge 2013.
View the Post on the Blog

Started with F1C 99-02 and i think it was the 2005 mod that was my first ever mod install to any game. 6 years later and i'm a modder myself (currently transferring to FPS games until rF2 and/or GTR3 is fully released) and i owe a TON of thanks to the original modders. The work they did back then has made the next gen modders job sooo much easier, without that headstart i doubt that we would've even dreamed to start doing it ourselves. I think i can extend that thanks in behalf of the whole BTB community.

SimBin now Slightly Mad Studios got there start modding the F1 series titles. Yes the software's design is amazing in the sense of how compatible it still is with modern hardware and operating systems. There was a sting of ISI based titles that used the same controller set where my only issue I have is mapping my sequential shifter on my clubsport wheel and resort to using my paddles to shift. Not too much of an inconvenience IMO.

SimBin now Slightly Mad Studios got there start modding the F1 series titles. Yes the software's design is amazing in the sense of how compatible it still is with modern hardware and operating systems. There was a sting of ISI based titles that used the same controller set where my only issue I have is mapping my sequential shifter on my clubsport wheel and resort to using my paddles to shift. Not too much of an inconvenience IMO.
Not letting me edit but is meant to be: "got their start" and later "There was a string of ISI based titles"

"I can hardly remember any game which is (nearly) 10 years old or older and is still in use in such a professional way as F1C is."

I just realised Richard Burns Rally is 10 years old next year

I think this is maybe best formula 1 game, that's my opinion. Lot of great mods, good gameplay and overall just really really good game. Still like the play this.

I have F1 Challenge 1950-2013

I like F1 Challenge, plus it is the only game which has a mod for every season? Want to know how, ask me :)

Hi RD/All,
I haven't logged in here for a very long time although I visit this great site for a read on the latest news/Forums every single day :)

Anyway, when I saw the subject I just had to comment as I am always a fan of anything designed by ISI (My current favourite Sim is of course Rfactor 2) and I also have great fun on Quick Races etc with SimRaceway (Based on ISI's Rfactor 1).

I also remember F1C with great fondness and I still have the original boxed CD too :) and I also own the boxed F1 2000/2001/2002 That said, I also seem to recall pretty rough and often savage AI back then lol which would rear end you without a second thought and often weren't very aware of you either (RF1 AI could be the same lol). I also remember my "PC" at that time wasn't quite "up to it" and I had to turn down a LOT of the GFX settings for it to run very smoothly!

I may be being a little picky here but I go back way further than the F1C era with computers and SCGT (Sports Car GT, released 1998 and also by ISI) which I also still have the boxed copy of, was the one that really got modding started in any BIG way in Race Sims/Games :) Anyone remember those days with modders like BassGuy etc etc? Anyway, great to see F1C still going quite strong 10 years on, and although I have been tempted to install it MANY times just to remember those days I haven't as yet. Maybe this great article will finally make me dust off the old box and remind myself what it was, and still is all about :)

Great Read and Regards from,

Andy :)

Did someone mention Richard burns rally? http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/forums/richard-burns-rally.137/

Come on and join us... If you have the skills!
(Which I dont, even after trying for 10 years =0)

Hi,
I was tired last night when I wrote my comment and not thinking straight lol. I just realised that even before SCGT, modding was already well underway in Viper Racing and a little after that NASCAR Heat!! I go back further (I'm 48 yrs old lol) and fondly remember IndyCar Racing etc. Anyone old enough here to remember the fun we had with Viper Racing and NASCAR Heat? NH had really good physics for the time and some great tracks/mods were made for it including one of the best (Euro Style) Truck mods I've ever driven Amazing engine sounds just like the Trucks (Artics) I used to drive in my real job. Only thing with NH was the physics were of course really designed for only turning LEFT :( lol so it wasn't perfect but still great fun!

Now, where did I put that copy of F1C........I feel a bit of nostalgia coming on :)

Regards,

Andy ;)

Great read. Thank you very much. Brings back many great memories.

But on the other hand, as they were both released in the same time. Grand Prix 4 pwned this game down, and it also has a very active modding community :)

This was my last F1 sim before picking up Race07. I had loved F1 but was glad to give it up.

I loved the garage mod's, allowing "extra" adjustments and a straight comaprison between cars. I really miss that feature.

• Deleted member 140946

The best f1 game ever for me, it's fun, realistic, has many options and you can mod a lot. Today it is possible to play all seasons except 1960, through F1 challenge VB, you wrote here it's leeching team, they are quite active, in May 2013 will come also 1960 and 2013 season, more info here:
http://valpaso75.altervista.org/vb13_03_season_1962.html

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back