F1: Cars More Easily Distinguished and Better Looking at the Same Time?

1st of all it is just not possible because by F1 law both car's from a team need the same livery and 2nd of all then we get the problem of not being able to much to seperate the teams i do support the idea but it is way more complicated then it sounds :p

As much as I like the designs I can't see it happening. There are still enough things that make it doable to distinguish two teammates, even though I have to say that having the rear wing end plates in the driver's national flag would help massively.

I'm not really opposed to the idea, though the sponsors (and manufacterers) definitely wouldn't let the car livery be taken over by the helmet design. I think your idea is an interesting compromise. Having the rear wing end plates with the driver livery design might be OK.

I like the idea and the designs from it, however would not help in F1 where the teams and their liveries/brand is a big part of the sport. Like others have said, don't think Ferrari would be to pleased

All they need to do as people have said is put numbers on the rear wing end plates. I went to Silverstone this year and constantly kept getting mixed up which driver was which cause I couldn't see the number and you cannot see the helmets like you used to.

However in the lower categories or even Indycar - this could be a great way of promoting the series and making it easier to highlight and promote drivers.

At least teams might have some consistency in their liveries from year to year.

Prototypes have done this already way better, without compromising sponsorship.
9363636618_b4e87a2aef_o.jpg

• ronniej

The driver has his helmet design for his own personal touch, making the car the same as his helmet is daft

the team and its designers / engineers are the stars, why allow the drivers to take even more of the lime light away from them...

A a a n d, that's a pretty good point right there \o/

View attachment 160259 For a long time now, Formula One has made half-arsed proposals to make distinguishing which driver is which more easy, but a UK Motorsport graphics designer may have the best idea yet.

At the present moment in time, there are three things that distinguish an F1 driver from his teammate: 1) his helmet, 2) the colour of his T-Cam, and 3) the number on his car. All of which are not terribly easy to see when the cars are travelling at racing speeds. Sure, for some of our more avid F1 fans, telling the cars apart simply by looking at the driver's helmet or T-Cam can suffice, but even for someone like myself who will happily get up at three in the morning simply to watch a practice session live and will actively cancel social engagements if it means being able to see an F1 session, it can be difficult at times.

Various decision making bodies have tossed ideas around as to how the sport can make telling who's who more easy, like IndyCar-style LED lights on the sides, but none of these things have ever materialised into anything. But what if you could make the cars instantly recognisable, AND better looking at the same time?

Enter Tim Holmes, a motorsport graphic designer. Tim looks to have come up with a quite frankly brilliant idea of killing those two birds with one stone by applying the driver's helmet design and colour scheme to their entire car. The results are astonishingly beautiful.

View attachment 160260 View attachment 160261 View attachment 160262 View attachment 160263 View attachment 160264 View attachment 160265 View attachment 160266

What do you think of the idea of having cars painted in their driver's helmet scheme rather than both being identical? Should the sport look seriously at adopting such a thing?

can someone make those skins for f1 2016 please! nice

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the 70's the drivers helmets weren't so busy and they didn't sit so low in the racecars so it was easier to tell who was who...Mario had a silver helmet with a red tape for sunshield, Nikki's was bright red and Jame's Hunts was black, so..

Nice idea.

That reminds me, that i finally have to design my own simracing helmet.;)

Is that possible, Im mean across all SIMs or is it SIM dependant? I have never tried painting in sim in racing but it might be something to do if I could have my own helmet, that way other drivers could recognize me no matter what car or livery Im in.

Is that possible, Im mean across all SIMs or is it SIM dependant?
Sadly not. Because every sim has different driver model templates (incl. helmet). And it's quite common that a sim is using more than one driver model for different cars/car classes. Therefore you need to paint your design on many different helmet templates. That's an effort, of course.

And even then ..... AFAIK you have just 2 current sims (iRacing with trading paints and rFactor2) with an automatic up-/download for custom skins. So others can see your own painted helmet (or driver suit or car livery etc.) without the hazzle to download a skinpack beforehand.
In leagues you normally have skinpacks for the specific league season.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back