F1 Canadian Grand Prix: Vettel Penalty... Deserved or Unfair?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Vettel Penalty.jpg

With opinion split amongst the F1 fan community, do you think the penalty dished out to Sebastian Vettel at the Canadian Grand Prix was a fair one?

Vettel would lose an almost certain victory in Canada today when the stewards deemed the Ferrari driver to have performed an unsafe circuit re-join when fighting with Lewis Hamilton for the race victory, awarding the Ferrari driver a five second time penalty, and handing race victory to the undefeated in 2019 Silver Arrows.

Vettel was understandably furious at the stewards decision, almost boycotting the podium celebrations in protest, do you think the decision to award a penalty was the right call?

Let us know your thoughts!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Only the 2nd GP watched this year and thought it was shaping up to be a good one. Oh well, chalk one up for the stewards.

Terrible decision, but I wouldn’t say it would have been an almost certain victory for Vettel. Hamilton was right on him and had no incentive to try to pull off a pass. The fact that the stewards took that potential battle away from us is the biggest shame.

It was more like a racing incident. Even as a Hamilton fan i can't blame him that Seb is now furious. When he tried to rejoin somewhat safely he had to correct again and gone even wider right into the path of Hamilton. Unlucky. Stewards are incosistent but thats not new..There were similar incidents and other things that never received a penalty, and now they basically killed a good fight between the "top dogs".
Bit nonsense penalty, we fans want real wheel to wheel racing. It was a good race though.

This opinion expired with new evidences:confused:
A post race reprimand could be enough , plus talking about it in next driver meeting(i forgot the name of that session , the one the drivers had with charlie before every GP) to avoid similar incidents and hear all the drivers points , this method have worked before, at least about specific track limits or curbs

Last edited:
Hockenheim 2018 Hamilton cuts the track deliberately no penalty
Monaco 2016,
Hamilton cuts the track, rejons the track pushing ricciardo wide... Guess what? NO penalty
Mexico 2016
, Ham cuts the track on Lap 1... No penalty

Verstappen suzuka 2018
, rejons the track pushing raikkonen out... Guess what? penalty
Vettel today.. Penalty..

I see a trend here... penalty is not the main issue, but the lack of penalties when it comes to the silver arrows. (not talking about impeding as well, just compare Hamilton/Grosjean in Silverstone Quali 2017 and Vettel/Sainz Austria 2018)

Hockenheim 2018 Hamilton cuts the track deliberately no penalty
Monaco 2016,
Hamilton cuts the track, rejons the track pushing ricciardo wide... Guess what? NO penalty
Mexico 2016
, Ham cuts the track on Lap 1... No penalty

Verstappen suzuka 2018
, rejons the track pushing raikkonen out... Guess what? penalty
Vettel today.. Penalty..

I see a trend here... penalty is not the main issue, but the lack of penalties when it comes to the silver arrows. (not talking about impeding as well, just compare Hamilton/Grosjean in Silverstone Quali 2017 and Vettel/Sainz Austria 2018)

The same comments have been made previously when Ferrari drivers have not been penalised, this isn't a Ferrari vs Mercedes debate and should not be turned into one.

The stewards were wrong in this case.

Aside from making a mistake under moderate pressure again (ffs), and looking at previous, similar encounters, its unfair. He ****ed up but got lucky to drift the car out right infront of Hamilton. Yes Hamilton got squeezed but it wasnt intentional. Race incident.

Aside from making a mistake under moderate pressure again (ffs), and looking at previous, similar encounters, its unfair. He ****ed up but got lucky to drift the car out right infront of Hamilton. Yes Hamilton got squeezed but it wasnt intentional. Race incident.

I agree. Any other driver would've questioned it, probably expecting no penalty.

The problem is some of the stewards have to vote for every penalty, and we know voting can sometimes give you an Ahmadinejad or ....... !
:p

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 192 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 378 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing