F1 Canadian Grand Prix: Vettel Penalty... Deserved or Unfair?

Hockenheim 2018 Hamilton cuts the track deliberately no penalty
Monaco 2016,
Hamilton cuts the track, rejons the track pushing ricciardo wide... Guess what? NO penalty
Mexico 2016
, Ham cuts the track on Lap 1... No penalty

Verstappen suzuka 2018
, rejons the track pushing raikkonen out... Guess what? penalty
Vettel today.. Penalty..

I see a trend here... penalty is not the main issue, but the lack of penalties when it comes to the silver arrows. (not talking about impeding as well, just compare Hamilton/Grosjean in Silverstone Quali 2017 and Vettel/Sainz Austria 2018)

F1 is a show now, nothing more. It's all politics (F1 not state) and who has the most money. I am so glad for the development cap. Now we just need a completely new formula. Reduction of computer systems and go back to three engines, 4.0L Turbo V8, V10, V12 but 750hp/600lb-ft and 1600lb weight, open aero design.

Lots of opinions about this, for sure, but in the end, I always pay attention to what former drivers have to say, because they know what it's like to drive these cars and I don't. (Unless sim racing counts! :D)
The majority of them (even the one who you said he is agree with the penalty) lived their racing life trying to get away with all kind of penalties (deliberate ones or the mistakes) and bending the rules with the least respect to others(it's not a bad thing , this is how they became the winners), the exact opposite of a steward's job and, how they have valid opinion on a job that they were always the opposite side of it? ex footballer opinion is more valid on refereeing or an ex referee? professional drivers (and their teams) had their enough share in making those rules from the start of motorsport and all of them accepted those rules by coming to that competition, they can have their opinion, disagree or agree, but in real world they don't have the credibility of judging it, they are drivers, those are stewards, 2 different field with some common grounds (enforcing rules). if it is the case of suspecting that an steward is a malicious one, you can be sure the teams have their leverage to make a change,if there is no change it means that the teams deep down are in agreement with them and the theater we watch from the whining teams are just for fan service and making it more dramatic.
Offence happened, lowest penalty received, the lowest is still harsh?ok the rule is bad but the teams and those drivers have the leverage to even make a 2 sec penalty for future if they have valid reasons.
remember moving under braking? because of the drivers leverage we had 3 different rule for it during 3 season! (fine_not fine_ fine) and we called the stewards the inconsistent ones
but hey that's just my personal opinion and sometimes i'm wrong , and also maybe i'm a little drunk , better try ACC now :D

Last edited:
I want to see passion, I want to see anger, I want to see that these people are human and that what they're doing actually means something to them. All this stoic shite with teams telling drivers what they can and can't say, always being diplomatic and acting like they have no emotion other than joy or total stoicism is again, bad for the sport and ruining the show. Give me the old days when drivers said whatever they thought whenever they wanted to, controversy be damned.
Agreed 100% and I was just writing the same thing:thumbsup::thumbsup:. First people complain how dull and made of same mold modern drivers are and when someone shows some emotions they are childish and bad losers:confused:

The Canadian fiasco is just another reason this long time F1 fan has jumped ship to Indycar. The race Saturday at Texas was more exciting and entertaining than the whole stupid F1 season to this point.

Right, because the robot people that so many sportsmen and women are these days is good for the show... how?

I want to see passion, I want to see anger, I want to see that these people are human and that what they're doing actually means something to them. All this stoic shite with teams telling drivers what they can and can't say, always being diplomatic and acting like they have no emotion other than joy or total stoicism is again, bad for the sport and ruining the show. Give me the old days when drivers said whatever they thought whenever they wanted to, controversy be damned.

I agree with you Ross, as onlookers, we want to see the passion and emotion, it is highly entertaining.

However, this type of behaviour is almost always ruinous for professional sports people. Reacting with anger often leads to acting with anger next time. If you haven't already read it Steve Peter's excellent The Chimp Paradox explains it all in far more detail. Once the chimp - the emotional part of our nature - takes over performance is often derailed. Even king of the court tantrum John McEnroe admits, with hindsight, he would have won far more if he'd learned to control his emotions. It's this control of the emotions coupled with corporate behaviour that leads to the robot effect. I agree it's boring to watch but for professional sports people it's as good as essential. They use every (boring to us) technique to deflect their behaviour from errors and distance themselves from the incident.

My view is that Vettel has an emotional control problem when under pressure. It's worth remembering this incident was all of his own making, he, once again, made the error. Hamilton was closing but hardly all over him and Vettel made a relatively unforced error. Personally, I agree with the stewards and think he did deliberately move to the right and this is all tied up in his emotional reactions to events. Both Vettel and Ferarri are under a lot of pressure to stop the Mercedes juggernaut but too much emotion will only cause harm. If I were the Ferarri sports psychologist (if they have/believe in such a thing - being well you know Italian and somewhat fiery by nature??) I'd want Vettel to work on his emotional control under pressure. Being able to cope with the chasing car an inch off the bumper, a dodgy line call or an Aussie cricketer sledging your weaknesses is part of modern sport.

I think Vettel will pay the price for the finishing position board antics and sulking after the race - as entertaining as it was for us. He's likely to still be replaying the events and making himself angrier. He's effectively training his mind to react this way to incidents and when the next pressure moment comes along the same outcome is likely.

We like the idea of getting the team revved up for the event but the best teams and individuals know cool and calm is the more likely way to win.

Differently, if Max, or Lewis switched the podium boards like Vettel did they would be roasted like chicken wings.. Personally, that was a bit childish of Vettel and exposes his state of mind.. Just like Baku..

_107318063_sebastianvettel_getty.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what all the fuss is about. If I leave the track sim racing I get a 5 second penalty. He made a mistake that should have cost him the race and it did. Case closed,

This is what happens when you spoil a 'brat'..... Once you pronounce someone a 'golden child'... this is what you get.... Helmut has a lot to answer for..... Just ask Mark!!…..

That was rough situation, but IMO not so extreme to be taken the win away. Probably could have managed to get Hamilton enough space to get by his side. And IMO should have left those ~20cm more. On the other hand this is racing, IMO it was extreme but within sportmanship. But this punishment is a bit rough. I don't know if this is good for racing, if drivers are going to get penalties for things that are as little as this.

F1 just forgot what racing is, and it will just get worse. Drivers will have to simply let those through who are faster. It will be like some gentlemans weekend club racing, just with spaceships.

Last edited:
Could anybody answer what is the definition of rejoining the track ?

I think Vettel squeezed Hamilton after he had already rejoined. Also did it gradually in such way that Hamilton could avoid it, also speed differences didn't seem huge by that point.

So I wonder does it even fit to rejoining. When Vettel was already almost back to racing pace.

Of course it would have been kooler battle if he would have let Hamilton to get by his inside.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 206 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 112 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 211 14.3%