F1 Canadian Grand Prix: Vettel Penalty... Deserved or Unfair?

Bah Vettel just did not have to make that mistake :) if he wanted to be on the safe side, the mistakes he stacks up for a while :O_o: .Profit Vettel-Ferrari instead of whining about a favoritism of Mercedes you should ask about Vettel. His mistake is really strange:confused::, he has a hard time withstanding the pressure can be;)

I have to say I was watching the race and when this happened and I heard the decision, I just shut it off. If you can't actually race for a win without exceeding the track limits or something like this why even bother.
Isn't the racing part whats its all about ?

I have to say I was watching the race and when this happened and I heard the decision, I just shut it off. If you can't actually race for a win without exceeding the track limits or something like this why even bother.
God no, Racing has to be boring! we don't have the right to enjoy it or else FIA would have to take actions!:speechless:
2 differents drivers have won so far in .... 7 races.. what else could we ask for !? :roflmao:

After having seen the footage multiple times and trying to recreate the situation myself in Assetto Corsa with the RSS formula hybrid, I think the penalty was too harsh.

He lost control on corner entry, went across the grass and then lost control on reentry to the track. But there is a point where he regains full control of the car, and there is slightly more than a cars width to his right. Had he stayed straight on at this point (relative to the track), Hamilton could have got along side him and there would have been no issue. The issue comes when he continues veering right, onto the racing line.

My assumption is he assumed Hamilton would go left, and so he kept going to the right. Of course Hamilton went to the right and had to avoid vettel.

Having said that, I think if any penalty was necessary, then just two penalty points would have sufficed

Bah Vettel just did not have to make that mistake :) if he wanted to be on the safe side, the mistakes he stacks up for a while :O_o: .Profit Vettel-Ferrari instead of whining about a favoritism of Mercedes you should ask about Vettel. His mistake is really strange:confused::, he has a hard time withstanding the pressure can be;)

The penalty is the smoke covering the real crack of the story.....Can Vettel handle the pressure? Bahrain , Vettel spins car under pressure, Monaco... Lewis under pressure with dead tyres no spin ,Vettel had to block Lewis going back to the track, drivers dont gift a pass, he took the risk and paid the penalty..

Vettel better not make any mistake the coming races, he's got race craft to prove.... Imagine if this situation happened between Vettel and Leclerc :confused::rolleyes:

Who knew they were on to something? :whistling:
332k2b.jpg

I'm starting to think the verdict the stewards handed down may have been influenced by his decision not to give up any time...he could have kept the fight going by giving up a second maximum on his own.

That would imply that VET gained time by going through the gras, if he did than why did HAM have to brake to avoid a collision?

I think it was a racing incident, not worth the penalty.

Vettel has a tendency to lose the rear of his car under pressure. It happened yet again. A great driver like him should invest in a personal trainer to correct that.
Regarding the punishment Vettel impeded Hamilton weather it was intentional or not is irrelevant. In any sport the intention when in fault is irrelevant.

Racingcars impede each other all the time in german its called "Kampflinie fahren" I don't konw if there is an english term that translates 100% but it means that you change your racing-line to avoid being overtaken. There are mutiple examples in F1 where drivers make mistakes under pressure (even HAM) and block other cars. In none of these incidents penalties where given.

The thing with Max in Monaco is that the incident took place in the pitlane with people walking around.

If you can't actually race for a win without exceeding the track limits or something like this why even bother.

Un-believable.:thumbsdown: How would you exceed track limits at Monaco or Baku? Oh you can't can you because you would hit a wall. :rolleyes: Track limits are there for a reason. Do you follow your own reasoning when racing online? If you do, remind me not to race with you.

Last edited:
That would imply that VET gained time by going through the gras, if he did than why did HAM have to brake to avoid a collision?

I think it was a racing incident, not worth the penalty.

I replied to this opinion on page 4 here, but long story short: the time "gained" was relative time in comparison to Hamilton; from retaining the lead immediately after going off track and losing control, which he shouldn't rightfully have as Hamilton nailed the chicane and would have been by him if Vettel wasn't on the line. 5 seconds is what's on the books...I'm not saying it's fair...but that's what's on the books. Vettel should have waved Hamilton by and the fight would have continued, but he decided to floor it...thus why the officials intervened. They should have ordered Vettel to give up the position, but Vettel should have given it up in any case...but all season without a win probably messed with being rational and sportsmanlike.

Also, it's funny how everyone keeps saying Vettel only had about 2 seconds to react, forgetting that Hamilton also had about the same time to make a decision...a decision made while trying not to lock up brakes himself at the same chicane. "Maybe Vettel will hit the left wall in the grass?" or "Maybe he'll come out on the left side of the exit?"...all possible outcomes of Vettel's departure, thus Ham keeping on the racing line.

Vettel kept saying "Well, where the hell was I suppose to go?"...the answer to that is around the chicane. The answer to that is to not lock up so bad on a dry sunny day. :roflmao::thumbsup:

Anyways, what's done is done...next race please. :cool:

So what is the point in a track limits rule then? Would you prefer to see it abolished it or policed?

True, abandon track limit rules, put sand in there or gravel beds, something that really makes car control tough instead of having tracks like France etc. Abandon all these new rules and let them race. I can't stand Hamiltons crying over the radio any more: "Teacher, he pushed me, teacher, he cut me, teacher, he screwed my hair, teacher I have some oil here on my helmet from the driver in front of me, teacher, I think the guy is driving too fast...."

I really have to force myself not to give him the proper name for that...behavior, but I can at least say, that it is dishonorable for a 5 time world champion. Just image what Nigel Mansell might think....

True, abandon track limit rules, put sand in there or gravel beds, something that really makes car control tough instead of having tracks like France etc. Abandon all these new rules and let them race. I can't stand Hamiltons crying over the radio any more: "Teacher, he pushed me, teacher, he cut me, teacher, he screwed my hair, teacher I have some oil here on my helmet from the driver in front of me, teacher, I think the guy is driving too fast...."

I really have to force myself not to give him the proper name for that...behavior, but I can at least say, that it is dishonorable for a 5 time world champion. Just image what Nigel Mansell might think....

Yes please, continue to single out Lewis...cause he's the only F1 driver in history to complain, right?

They all do it, even everybody's favourite Finn complains on the radio too...and you best believe if there were onboard radio for the public to hear in past generations you'd hear the same thing (I'm quite certain Mansell's not immune to it, as he's quite the character himself).

Correct, they all complain. Well, there is no mathematical fairness, there is no true justice after all. Get over it....it is all perception. Even in court.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 323 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 458 39.3%