F1 Canadian Grand Prix: Vettel Penalty... Deserved or Unfair?

All of which is completely irrelevant to this incident. Just another load of "yeh but no but yeh but".

The point is, he broke the rules in more then 1 way during his career. So like many drivers did before him- and how can he say something like that if he would done the same thing. And the best part is, he wouldn't get punished by the stewards because Mercedes wouldn't address it to them. Every normal race driver would've done the same thing. Besides from Perez or Norris... they wouldn't even made it back on track...

If you make a mistake, go off-track, and then because of that mistake impede the progress of another driver, you deserve a penalty. So, why is the fast majority of the opinion this wasn't a penalty?

Let's say this was a situation in which Ricciardo was trying to overtake Hamilton on the outside. Ricciardo has his nose in, and then Hamilton squeezes him to the right, causing Ricciardo to have to brake or else hit the wall. No penalty? Surely that's a penalty, as is Hamilton re-joining the track unsafely even though it wasn't his fault. The mistake was his fault.

Fixed, it also answers your first question. :thumbsup:

Mark Webber would have been the best interviewer in Canada this year :)

Yes, he would be great :thumbsup:
https://twitter.com/AussieGrit/status/1137842790241619969
That's from Mark Webber's Twitter ;)
Any of the stewards ever raced at the front in F1? Didn’t watch the race.. have now seen the “incident”. Mental penalty.
1f974.png
1f9d0.png

The point is, he broke the rules in more then 1 way during his career. So like many drivers did before him- and how can he say something like that if he would done the same thing. And the best part is, he wouldn't get punished by the stewards because Mercedes wouldn't address it to them. Every normal race driver would've done the same thing. Besides from Perez or Norris... they wouldn't even made it back on track...
If any driver, including Hamilton breaks the rules, there must be consequences. Otherwise there is no point in having rules. Whether somebody (in your opinion) once upon a time, broke the rules but escaped consequences, has zero relevance to this case. Each case should be taken on its merits and not influenced by emotion about what may or may not have happend in a totally unrelated historical case. This is what I mean by "Yeh but no but". That's just argument for arguments sake.

Fabulous response from Lewis:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/for...el-to-stick-around/ar-AACFyt8?ocid=spartanntp

"We've had a lot of years racing together and there's probably no one that I enjoy racing with on the track more than him," said Hamilton, whose F1 career began in 2007 like Vettel's.

Racing driver decode: it sounds like Hamilton is being nice but really he's saying cheers I enjoy racing you Seb because I've got you in my pocket. Just driving the psychological knife in a bit further after the weekend.

"I always relish opportunities to battle like we've had today and the previous years and they're really memories that I will always cherish"

Decode: yes Hamilton, and any racing driver for that matter cherishes the battles he wins. One more in the Vettel spanked bank for Hamilton ;).

"I hope there are many more, so stick around."

Decode: stick around because I 'like' racing you and don't want to see Verstappen in the Ferrari!!

Seems the most here have some serious problem to judge racing-situations. Vettel made a stupid mistake and deserved to loose his position in the first place, no matter if the near hit was intentional or not. And it was intentional for sure to block Lewis from overtaking. He had to brake fully to prevent an accident and seems a majority here has no problem with crashes when a car rejoins the track slowly driving in your racing line:whistling:.

F1 has been dead already for a long time.Boring Tracks, shity toys car, no grid girls,no qual engines, stupid commentary on podium, hoover car sound, stupid rules, what next ?. All here looking like plastic show for sponsor .I dont feel racing blood here anymore.What happened in Canada is a typical racing incident, there should be no penalty here. Otherwise, the drivers will not get involved and they will have to watch out for everything. They lose their racing balls ;)......

.."if you no longer go for a gap that exists you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing"....A.Senna

Maybe it really was a racing incident, but the way Vettel reacted was embarassing. He said on the team radio that he didn't see Hamilton, which is just BS. And switching the parc ferme boards is childish to the extreme.

Vettel has a history of acting like an idiot. Stewards probably take that into account. Or they should, anyways.
Vettel has no business driving a racing car. He lacks the maturity, he has tried to kill an oppponent before and he should be banned from driving in general for life. Just like Schumacher back in the day.

(I'm not a "fanboy" of any driver, I stopped watching F1 decades ago, only saw replays. So please don't accuse me of anything.)

Maybe it really was a racing incident, but the way Vettel reacted was embarassing. He said on the team radio that he didn't see Hamilton, which is just BS. And switching the parc ferme boards is childish to the extreme.
im actually glad Vettel switched the boards, it added so much drama
Vettel has a history of acting like an idiot. Stewards probably take that into account. Or they should, anyways.
Vettel has no business driving a racing car. He lacks the maturity, he has tried to kill an oppponent before and he should be banned from driving in general for life. Just like Schumacher back in the day.
Seriously ? vettel has no business driving a racing car ? you have to be a total idiot for saying that sorry but theres no words.. he surely did mistakes in the past and will make others in futures (so will every other drivers, they are human after all) Vettel just won 4 world titles, not all those 4 years he had a dominant cars despite a lot of ppl think. i give him more credit for those titles than hamilton from 2014-2019 (yes including this year, we all know this is done already)
(I'm not a "fanboy" of any driver, I stopped watching F1 decades ago, only saw replays. So please don't accuse me of anything.)
oh you are critisizing vettel atittude because you have seen some of them on replays ? I don' t know dude but just look for documentaries about vettel or something like this, because judging someone like this only proves how single minded you are.

Based on what i saw it was a unsafe. That said many people respected in the sport like Peter Windsor Karun Chandock and even Mario Andretti are calling foul play. You have to look at the data and throttle maps of Seb and Lewis to see who backed of (If at all) and where. And determine if Vettel had control of car or if he was trying to gain control, causing the incident.
Scudaria Ferrari will appeal and when they appeal they always win. Remember Michale Schumacher and the barge board deemed to big. Somehow they got off on that one.

Once again, too much politics. The stewards should chill out and let them do their thing. They should instead penalize drivers moving in the breaking zone (Max Ves used to love doing that). I was watching Supercars last week and same BS, race control giving 15 seconds penalties to pretty much the entire field.

Just watch the pre race and Jenson talking about his win after Lewis swerved into him. As a team mate at McLaren. I did not like Lewis for a long time after that. Over the years he has matured and grown on me.

This is racing and as Peter Windsor says the rules are satirizing it and taking the wild driving that is entertaining. Cant weave, cant cut corners, cant exceed track limits.
This is why the sport is going to stupid street circuits, if you leave the track you are in the wall or a escape route that veers away from the track. And you can't do this.

This is racing and as Peter Windsor says the rules are satirizing it and taking the wild driving that is entertaining. Cant weave, cant cut corners, cant exceed track limits.
Tell this the guys at iRacing ("i heard you cut the track...") and you would get a slow-down-penalty in almost every sim-title i know if you do the Vettel. The races are boring because no BoP unlike all other racing series i know. And modern F1 aero of those cars are suffering downforce-loss when behind other cars, so no real slipstream advantage. That's what Nico Rossberg is saying.

Bah Vettel ne devait simplement pas faire cette erreur:) si il voulait être sur de l'emporter,les erreurs il les empile depuis un bon moment:p.Les pro Vettel-Ferrari au lieu de pleurnicher sur un favoritisme de Mercedes vous devriez vous poser des question sur Vettel. Son erreur est vraiment étrange:O_o:,il a du mal à supporter la pression peut être;)?

Scudaria Ferrari will appeal and when they appeal they always win. Remember Michale Schumacher and the barge board deemed to big. Somehow they got off on that one.
That was last year, right? Yeah, I remember that one. :confused: But I also remember all those appeals that Ferrari won between that one and today (period of let's say 10 years), or I don't... :roflmao:

But seriously, I agree with your second post. They have destroyed (not destroying, it is finished) racing with all the rules. :(

And that's where you disqualify yourself.
I don't mind having a spirited discussion, but calling someone else names is where you show that you have no arguments.
So, goodbye. I've put you on ignore now.
Okay, let me quote you then
Vettel has a history of acting like an idiot.
Thanks for that spirited discussion, too bad you had no arguments and found a way to end it, see you on the next drama.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back