F1 | Alfa Romeo and Williams confirm 2021 lineups

Both Alfa Romeo and Williams have confirmed that they will retain their current driver lineups for next season.
  • Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi will continue to race for Alfa Romeo for a third consecutive year.
  • Williams duo George Russell and Nicholas Latifi meanwhile will enjoy their second season as teammates.
  • The teams announced their retention of their current lineups in the build up to the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.
On the eve of Formula One's return to Imola for the Emila Romagna Grand Prix, Alfa Romeo and Williams confirmed that they will continue into 2021 with the same driver lineups.

With Kimi Raikkonen being aged 41, there had been some question marks over whether he would want to continue his Formula One career into next season. Meanwhile with Ferrari juniors, Schumacher, Ilott and Shwartzman performing well in F2, people had been left wondering how safe Giovinazzi's seat was. The team's management confirmed today however that both would remin at the team for next season.

Meanwhile there had been speculation that Williams could replace Mercedes junior, George Russell with Sergio Perez. Earlier today however, Williams confirmed that there would be no change going into 2021, and that they're "very happy" with both drivers, and "look forward to continuing to work with them."

Kimi Raikkonen became the most experienced driver in the history of Formula One this season, and confirmed that he was pleased to still be a part of the team's project:

“I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t believe in the team’s project and in what we feel we can achieve together.
"This is a team that values hard work over words and this fits well with my style. I am looking forward to next year and hopefully making some steps forward towards the front of the midfield with the team.”

Giovinazzi.jpg

His counterpart, Antonio Giovinazzi who began his F1 career with Alfa Romeo, seemed hopeful that this stability would work in their favour, with the team having "put a lot of faith in [him]", while he'd done his "best to repay this confidence with hard work and commitment:

“We have achieved some good results and I feel I have done my part to make the team progress, but the road ahead is still long and there is much more we want to achieve together.
"There will be a lot of continuity between this season and the next one, so everything we work on between now and the end of the year will already count for next, and we are ready to give it all we have.”
In the Williams stable meanwhile, new team owners, Dorilton seem happy with the current lineup, with acting Team Principal Simon Roberts confirming that there would be no change to the drivers. He announced that it "will be the driver lineup for this year and next year, we're very happy with them."

George Russell therefore will continue with Williams to mark his third season in Formula One:

“It’s always nice to have stability, it’s never nice to hear any speculation that your job is potentially up for grabs. Nevertheless I was confident in what I could perform on track and ultimately I had to do the talking on track and I was confident nothing would change moving into 2021 even with all the speculation going around.
“Like I said I think a lot of the speculation was fed by other team members or teams surrounding drivers to create these issues over the last couple of weeks. So I’m definitely happy and pleased to continue on this journey.”

Russell and Latifi.jpg

With no change to the team's lineup, this means that Canadian rookie, Nicholas Latifi will continue into the second year of his F1 career with the Williams team.

The news from both Alfa Romeo and Williams today means that the grid for next season is finally coming close to completion. With both Alfa Romeo seats now filled, it is expected that Haas will announce Ferrari junior, Mick Schumacher, in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, it seems that the only likely destination left for Sergio Perez if he is to continue in F1, is with Red Bull Racing. This of course would rely on the team deciding not to continue with Alexander Albon, in which case the Thai driver would likely follow Pierre Gasly back to Red Bull's sister team, AlphaTauri.

Of course, Lewis Hamilton has still not signed a new contract with Mercedes, meaning that there is still a drive with the silver arrows up for grabs. It would however be a surprise if he were not sign an extension, particularly given that Mercedes junior, George Russell has now been confirmed at Williams.

Alfa Romeo drivers.jpg

Last edited:
22. Software Engineer with experience in Formula One and Motorsport simulation.

gamer19

2000RPM
Aug 28, 2012
Khm, may I suggest:
Gasly to Toro Rosso
Perez to Red Bull and... that's it I guess. What, someone's missing ?
Oh yes there's that Kvyat dude:cautious: dammit I forgot about him totally.
Well... he may peacefully retire then. Not the biggest loss F1 ever had.
?

Last edited:

Nick Hill

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 26, 2013
But, the real question: can anyone dethrone...ah hell, I can't do it. Congratulations Lewis and Mercedes on your 2021 double world championship!

I have never been more happy that IndyCar is a thing. Even if their 2021 schedule is a little wonky, the racing will still be totally chaos with a proper championship battle.

ltcars

1000RPM
Sep 12, 2016
Khm, may I suggest:
Gasly to Toro Rosso
Perez to Red Bull and... that's it I guess. What, someone's missing ?
Oh yes there's that Kvyat dude:cautious: dammit I forgot about him totally.
Well... he may peacefully retire then. Not the biggest loss F1 ever had.
?
Gasly stays at Alpha Tauri, it was confirmed a few days ago

paracletus

1000RPM
Dec 6, 2013
Raikonen seems to have done reasonably well enough in that car to be for another year.
Wasn't so sure about joe vinazzi - but he's actually ahead of raik on points so can't complain.

As for perez, a good driver who looks like the career ends here; certainly as good as the acclaimed hulkenburg, as proven when they were at force india for three years:
2014 NH 96, SP 59
2015 NH 58, SP 78
2016 NH 72, SP 102

Last edited:
Reactions: LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu

1000RPM
Feb 13, 2013
I hope Pérez eventually finds a seat in a competitive car, whether it is F1 or IndyCar.

BP

1000RPM
Premium
Nov 1, 2016
Nice to see Russell in particular gets another year...I think it's all part of Mercedes' master plan: If Hamilton retires after winning title #8, Russell moves to Merc to partner with Bottas and, if Merc still has the dominant car, Bottas will become a WDC that year. Not saying Russell can't beat him eventually but Bottas is usually within +/- 0.2 secs of Hamilton on pure pace and George will have just started and may take a few races to get up to speed whereas Bottas has shown in these last 2 seasons to be very strong during the opening rounds. Bottas obviously has bouts of losing confidence in himself going against Lewis all these years, but with him out of the picture I think he'd be stronger throughout the season.

In reality though, Hamilton will probably want to try the 2022 cars before leaving the sport, so who knows lol

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
Good decisions for both teams. Russell is an excellent young drivers and I'm sure Latifi will improve. I think he's a solid driver and this was not the easiest season to make one's F1 debut. The fact that he brings a lot of money obviously helps but that's the way things are in F1, so good for him. Raikonnen still has gas left in the tank and he's a highly popular driver with fans. I have my doubts about Giovinazzi, but I hope I'm wrong. Some drivers take more time than others to develop, maybe he's just a late bloomer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat-Alfie

pcraenme

500RPM
Premium
Jun 26, 2011
Great to see Russell and Kimi on the grid again next year, but I hope their cars will perform better compared to other teams in the middle of the grid. Latifi and Giovinazzi I would have like to see replaced by new young talent, but in case of Latifi I understand money is a big factor for Williams. But Giovinazzi was a bit of a surprise to me, since I hoped Mick Schumacher would be in the other Alfa Romeo car next year. But Mick may go to Haas, besides Mazepin I guess (for the money again). But if Haas is going to improve with two rookies though...

And what about Perez? In the interview with Max yesterday on the Dutch channel Ziggo Sport (Formule 1 Café), Max preference for a teammate was very clear... no ‘love’ for Albon (“I cannot help him, he just need to drive faster”) and as a replacement for Albon... Nico Hulkenberg. He did not even mention Perez. If is true what so many people are saying, that RB is built around Max, you would think his opinion would matter a lot?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gopher04

Kimmo Kokkonen

Lord GTR3, His master's voice.
Premium
Apr 25, 2009
Raikonen seems to have done reasonably well enough in that car to be for another year.
The thing is, Kimi is allowed to continue with Alfa Romeo for as long as he himself wants. So Alfa got Kimi and not the other way around :whistling:

Kimi Raikkonen Will Drive For As Long As He Wants: Alfa Romeo Boss Clarifies Team is Never Letting Him Go

Last edited:

ZuneGuy

250RPM
Nov 8, 2010
Nice to see Russell in particular gets another year...I think it's all part of Mercedes' master plan: If Hamilton retires after winning title #8, Russell moves to Merc to partner with Bottas and, if Merc still has the dominant car, Bottas will become a WDC that year. Not saying Russell can't beat him eventually but Bottas is usually within +/- 0.2 secs of Hamilton on pure pace and George will have just started and may take a few races to get up to speed whereas Bottas has shown in these last 2 seasons to be very strong during the opening rounds. Bottas obviously has bouts of losing confidence in himself going against Lewis all these years, but with him out of the picture I think he'd be stronger throughout the season.

In reality though, Hamilton will probably want to try the 2022 cars before leaving the sport, so who knows lol
Hamilton isn't going anywhere for a long time. if Russel wants a seat at Mercedes he's either going to have to supplant Bottas somehow, or simply wait until Lewis is done but that is going to be a long wait, and by then their team may no longer be the best on the grid.

BP

1000RPM
Premium
Nov 1, 2016
Hamilton isn't going anywhere for a long time. if Russel wants a seat at Mercedes he's either going to have to supplant Bottas somehow, or simply wait until Lewis is done but that is going to be a long wait, and by then their team may no longer be the best on the grid.
Agreed, given it took only around 16 years for the "impossible record" to be broken, he'll probably want to set the bar much higher and I don't blame him...personally I'm hoping he gets to 10 WDC's and 150 wins...give the kids something to aim for. if Aston Martin becomes competitive I think Russell should start looking in their direction...he might sooner find a drive there if Hamilton stays put.

Then again, maybe Williams might bounce back if they manage to hire the right engineers and build a competitive chassis...they already have possibly the best engine supplier.

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
Wasn't so sure about joe vinazzi - but he's actually ahead of raik on points so can't complain.

As for perez, a good driver who looks like the career ends here; certainly as good as the acclaimed hulkenburg, as proven when they were at force india for three years:
2014 NH 96, SP 59
2015 NH 58, SP 78
2016 NH 72, SP 102
Hes keeping a seat warm. They want a driver in the car probably from the Jr formula like Mick Schumacher. He has to get a few more credits (Or whatever they call them) to get a super licence. Mika has a lot of knowlege and can give feedback to help push development of the car in the right direction.

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
Agreed, given it took only around 16 years for the "impossible record" to be broken, he'll probably want to set the bar much higher and I don't blame him...personally I'm hoping he gets to 10 WDC's and 150 wins...give the kids something to aim for. if Aston Martin becomes competitive I think Russell should start looking in their direction...he might sooner find a drive there if Hamilton stays put.

Then again, maybe Williams might bounce back if they manage to hire the right engineers and build a competitive chassis...they already have possibly the best engine supplier.
I dont think Lewis will stay around mutch longer. He has his intrest in fashon. And he is into BLM whitch could put him into politics or charity. As a sport it is hard on the body whitch is why we see drivers retire sooner. In the old days people drive cars as it was all they could do. Now you can retire and go into buisness inside or outside F1.