F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix | Driver of the Day - Vote Now

I'd say Hamilton. What he did yesterday reminded me of what Vettel was doing in 2013. Doing fastest laps or equal even with older tyres compared to his closest rivals behind in 2nd 3rd or 4th although on brand new. Yesterday he was untouchable and it was first or second time I saw him drive race like that.

I'd say Hamilton. What he did yesterday reminded me of what Vettel was doing in 2013. Doing fastest laps or equal even with older tyres compared to his closest rivals behind in 2nd 3rd or 4th although on brand new. Yesterday he was untouchable and it was first or second time I saw him drive race like that.
If you dont drive behind other cars that are disprupting your clean air, the tires stay well twice as long.

But yeah, abu dhabi has always been bad. terrible track design, terrible racing, 0% rain probability, no passionate hundred thousands of fans. youd think they could come up with something better than this with so much money pumped in. i mean its formula 1, the biggest racing series in the world with the fastest car in the world. but they dont drive on the best track in the world, nah-uh, who needs good tracks anyway? why race on an incredibly demanding sepang circuit where rain probability is high, if you can race on a street circuit full of flat 90° corners? just what f1 cars are made for

Not disagreeing with you at all on your points but I went to the Abu Dhabi race back in 2013 and as an event it's probably unrivalled on the F1 calendar.

I arrive at the hotel and I get a ruck sack, with extras, program, t-shirt, cap, radio lots of other bits and pieces.

I had entry to all the after show concerts, entry to Ferrari World, entry to the water park.

The grandstands are quite close to the track and cleverly designed so they overlook the fencing so no metalwork in your way. So I would say the viewing is pretty good, however on-foot access is almost impossible (you can't walk around and view like Silverstone for example).

The organisation is flawless (I never waited more than five minutes for a taxi to take me back to the hotel), everyone is only to happy to help with any issues you may have.

It's spotlessly clean, there are cafes and eateries at the base of every grandstand, the weather is perfect all weekend and so on.

As a venue I've never seen anything like it.

...and the entire weekend ticket cost me less than the weekend ticket to British Grand Prix.

The impression I got when I was there is the majority of the attendees treat it as a luxury holiday, the beaches are nearby, Dubai is a shortish drive away and so on. There are F1 fans there but not in the same league as say the British Grand Prix where the atmosphere is more special. I found the contrast interesting.

I think as an event to attend it is pretty spectacular, however as a track I agree it's not perfect, although it's not the worst by any means. The amount of track you can see from a seat for example is a nice bonus.

If you dont drive behind other cars that are disprupting your clean air, the tires stay well twice as long.

That yes, but if you drive within 1 sec, 2 tops. From lap 2 onwards no one was within 3 sec of Hamilton so no one was really hurt by driving behind him.

I voted for Bottas as his charge from the back on a difficult track to pass on was a good race by him.

I think the voting is spot on though, Bottas for his recovery drive and Hulk as it's his last race in F1 and he deserves some recognition for all the years of hard work he's put into his F1 career. Wishing him all the best for the future.

I'm wondering if Hulk will end up in sportscar again? Otherwise my next thought is Formula E. Drivers are heading there because of the factory involvement and the chance of being spotted by one the big marques.

Beter you can write a topic. driver of the season

Quite an easy choice that one. Even non Red Bull fans will vote for Albon. There are many driver worth watching if this was an Cup series like Russel and Kubica maybe, but F1 is currently a shame, or their car. Whatever. Waste of thread. Max was targeting 5 wins which he failed, even with the engineered wins to be. Leclerc outperformed Vettel, which was his target. But Albon, a dude not even in F1 Radar 13 months ago, now keeping his Red Bull seat for 2020.

I don't really agree with this sympathy voting for the Hulk, either here or the official F1 vote. He's a really good guy, I like him as a driver, I think he's deserved better over the years and it's a shame he's going. But this is Driver of the Day, not Goodbye and Good Luck Hulkenberg. :O_o:

I voted Bottas for his recovery drive. To almost get on the podium from last is quite impressive. Second would be Hamilton, even though I really don't like the guy, for being in a class of his own. Third, probably Verstappen who I also don't like, for the overtake and 2nd place finish, despite having a dodgy car.

Max definitely, a Red Bull in second (again)? Fantastic!

For those who are allways saying "Leclerc this, Leclerc that" yeah, Max showed that even in an inferior overall car he kicked Ferrari's ass. 3rd in final standings, brilliant! Don't know what top teams are waiting for, honestly, really hope Red Bull can give him a great car next year so he can fight for the championship finally...

This season has convinced me that Max is currently a much better driver than Leclerc. Charles may grow and get better, but Max has him at the moment. If they were both in the same car, Max would have Charles thoroughly frustrated...LOL

Max definitely, a Red Bull in second (again)? Fantastic!

For those who are allways saying "Leclerc this, Leclerc that" yeah, Max showed that even in an inferior overall car he kicked Ferrari's ass. 3rd in final standings, brilliant! Don't know what top teams are waiting for, honestly, really hope Red Bull can give him a great car next year so he can fight for the championship finally...
Is the Red Bull such an inferior car compared to the Ferrari? Don't get me wrong, I admire Max Vestappen's talent but when he gets in a fight with Leclerc, I don't think that Leclerc has an overwhelmingly better car.

Came here, voted based on race reports (thought about Bottas recovery, ended voting for Hulk), saw a lot of people voted for him, went to see highlights, came back to read comments.

Now with all that detailed knowledge about yesterday's race: Bottas came back to 4th almost 3rd, and knowing him compared to Lewis and knowing Merc since 2014 in AD Lewis was taking it easy as the car allowed it. So I felt good not having him in vote and having own conclusion from race report as true (not special race for him, he had much better ones). Then in highlights saw Hulk doing 1 stop with S-M, did I see that right? :confused: Was Renault so bad on hards, he probably wouldn't have ice-skates in last laps if he took hards instead of mediums. And 3rd, Max-Leclerc, Max on 1 stop overtook Leclerc on 2 stops, Max is very good but Ferrari was 3rd (or equal 2nd) car to have on race day here. Good holidays to everyone and see you next year, maybe even to enjoy some racing on top (before titles are decided). :roflmao:

I don't really agree with this sympathy voting for the Hulk, either here or the official F1 vote. He's a really good guy, I like him as a driver, I think he's deserved better over the years and it's a shame he's going. But this is Driver of the Day, not Goodbye and Good Luck Hulkenberg. :O_o:
Depends a bit what DOTD means. If it is about the best performing driver, I totally agree with you. I voted for the Hulk because it was his last race and he did not deserve to lose his seat in F1... just as some kind of support for him and also a farewell. Normally my vote will go to the best performing driver though, but this time I made an exception. Best performing driver was a tie between Lewis and Max.:)

It is somewhat impressive that Bottas made it from last to 4th, but then again the team told him that their simulations showed he should finish in 5th based on project pace. Then Vettel had a very long pit stop with the wheel issue and Bottas was handed 4th. In other words Bottas basically achieved what was expected of him and, in my opinion, nothing really stellar above and beyond that

It is somewhat impressive that Bottas made it from last to 4th, but then again the team told him that their simulations showed he should finish in 5th based on project pace. Then Vettel had a very long pit stop with the wheel issue and Bottas was handed 4th. In other words Bottas basically achieved what was expected of him and, in my opinion, nothing really stellar above and beyond that
3rd could have been possible if there wasn't the DRS issues

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.5%