Resource icon

Misc F1 2021 TyreTempMod - Realistic temperature, grip, wear, strategy v2.5

Login or Register an account to download this content
Tire behavior is still extremely poor in this mod, and I cannot recommend it.

Hard tires overheat over single corners, while soft tires lose temperature and cool down below their optimum temperature and short of doing burnouts or locking my brakes, I can't get them to overheat again. This is not how the tires actually work, period. Soft tires wear far too slowly in 50% and 100% races, even using the Beta branch of this mod, and the pace delta still leads to S-M-M or S-M-S strategies far too often.

What setups are you using? Custom online setups may not work. From your comments it's sounds like you are running very slow tyre pressures
Hi Andy

I have to largely agree with Planeguy. The Hards are really overheating, and the softs are staying mid-to-high 80s throughout a stint and it causes a mismatch with car setup. Either bump up the psi to max and get the Softs to mid-90s but make the Hards completely unusable, or keep the psi slightly lower and struggle with pace on both Hards and Softs.

I use SimRacingSetups Youtube setups and on the whole, they are excellent at creating a well-balanced car. I usually have to go several notches up on the PSI because I assume he uses the vanilla game.

Latest example - Spa, 100% race, Ferrari career. Going through Double Gauche, my Hards are overheating and by the middle of S3, the front left is up to 114 degrees. Across that same corner, my Mediums hit 106 and my Softs hit 102.

Should also point out I was following Gasly for about 4 laps and my engine temp ramped up to 140 degrees. I had the faster car but the engine was dying on me.

The result was Gasly getting away from me and the temp cooling down once I was over a second behind. The opportunity to overtake was lost but really cool implementation.

Hi Andy

I have to largely agree with Planeguy. The Hards are really overheating, and the softs are staying mid-to-high 80s throughout a stint and it causes a mismatch with car setup. Either bump up the psi to max and get the Softs to mid-90s but make the Hards completely unusable, or keep the psi slightly lower and struggle with pace on both Hards and Softs.

I use SimRacingSetups Youtube setups and on the whole, they are excellent at creating a well-balanced car. I usually have to go several notches up on the PSI because I assume he uses the vanilla game.

Latest example - Spa, 100% race, Ferrari career. Going through Double Gauche, my Hards are overheating and by the middle of S3, the front left is up to 114 degrees. Across that same corner, my Mediums hit 106 and my Softs hit 102.
Wasn't plane guy saying the hard compounds never heat up? The opposite of what you are seeing?

Should also point out I was following Gasly for about 4 laps and my engine temp ramped up to 140 degrees. I had the faster car but the engine was dying on me.

The result was Gasly getting away from me and the temp cooling down once I was over a second behind. The opportunity to overtake was lost but really cool implementation.
That's good, that is the same as I saw when testing and configuring the mod. You should be able to also lower temps by breaking the slipstream on straights.
(For others reading, this feature is in the other mod I released not in this one)

Wasn't plane guy saying the hard compounds never heat up? The opposite of what you are seeing?
Maybe I misunderstood but I was seeing this as well "Hard tires overheat over single corners". You could literally see the number sprinting up 101,102,103,104,105 like a lap time delta.

My problem isn't that any specific compound overheats and stays overheated from thereon in - they actually cool down quite quickly. It's more that across a specific corner, or chain of corners, my Hards overheat substantially more than the Softs. For instance, through Spa S3, my Hards were up to 114, but by the time I got to S1, they were back down to about 92-96. Over the same distance, the Softs would peak at around 102 and come down to 83-88.

That's good, that is the same as I saw when testing and configuring the mod. You should be able to also lower temps by breaking the slipstream on straights.
(For others reading, this feature is in the other mod I released not in this one)
Ah, explains why the engine wasn't cooling down on the Kemmel Straight even though I broke the slipstream.

Maybe I misunderstood but I was seeing this as well "Hard tires overheat over single corners". You could literally see the number sprinting up 101,102,103,104,105 like a lap time delta.

My problem isn't that any specific compound overheats and stays overheated from thereon in - they actually cool down quite quickly. It's more that across a specific corner, or chain of corners, my Hards overheat substantially more than the Softs. For instance, through Spa S3, my Hards were up to 114, but by the time I got to S1, they were back down to about 92-96. Over the same distance, the Softs would peak at around 102 and come down to 83-88.

Ok, I will look into this. Can you do me a favour and do the Spa test above with pure default setups. I need a base line to work with so setups have no effect

Last edited:
Ok, I will look into this. Can you do me a favour and do the Spa test above with pure default setups. I need a base line to work with so setups have no effect
To clarify, the harder a compound is, the more it overheats for me. Usually my hards will jump into the red temperature range for a corner or series of corners, but rapidly cool. Meanwhile, the softer compounds will just progressively cool below their optimum temperature unless I use very high pressures. This behavior seems the opposite of what should be happening. The hards need to change temperature slower, and be much harder to heat up, and the softs need to be much easier to heat up and keep hot.

However, the tire wear in the Beta branch is pretty good for 100% races. I increased the WearRate by about 5-7% in order to have more two-stop M-M-H or M-H-H races, however. Temperature needs work though. AI will seriously overheat the tires to the point that they have 5-10% more wear than me midrace and have to pit more often, while I can often Checo Perez my way to the end on old tires.

Last edited:
Hi Andy.

Test complete. 100% Grand Prix Race with Carlos Sainz at Spa on a dry day, with the default "balanced" setup. I let all the cars ahead build up a 20 second lead so as not to interfere with my laps.

I did 3 laps on the softs (race start), then pitted for mediums for 3 laps, then pitted for hards. I noted the following corners as being the corners where the temps were either the lowest or added the most heat to the tyres in one turn - Double Gauche (highest) and start of Eau Rogue (lowest). Temps were as follows at lap 3 for each stint:

Softs:- Race start = 77. Eau Rogue = 76. Double Gauche = high 80s, low 90s.

Mediums:- Pit exit = 83. Eau Rogue = 79. Double Gauche = mid 90s.

Hards:- Pit exit = 88. Eau Rogue = 80. Double Gauche = 97-98.

A few things to note: the softs were on average 82-85 throughout a lap, although the front right was often dipping down into the 70s. Mediums were 85-90 throughout a lap. Hards were mid-90s.

By lap 3, the medium rear left tyre in S3 was starting to turn yellow, as it hit around 103 at Turn 16. The hard front left tyre was red in S3 of Lap 3 at the same point, up to 107. Softs were high-80s.

It does feel like temps are inverted between the compounds.

Andy, just a quick one as I’ve run FP1 and FP2 at Zandvoort as the next race up.

the mod is working as expected. Softs overheating (104+), mediums lesser so (98-103) and Hards at mid-80s.

I took some temp out when going on a second medium stint so it’s likely the soft is closer to 100-102 now.

Really? So this track the tyres work ok? It must be due to the corner types and how it generates heat into the tyres without chance to cool. I have not been able to look at it the last few days but I want to see if the swapped overheating issue is also in v2.2. if you have chance can you take a look?

Last edited:
Hi @andyandy989898 , thank you for the usual great work. Finally, I got myself a copy of F1 2021 for PC!
Quick question: will i be able to enjoy this mod even if I don't do all the practice sessions due to spare time issues?
Will I be able to see different tyre strategies for bots as well in a 50% race?
Thanks!

Hi Enrique

Nice one with 2021, its a good game.

Yes will work fine without doing practice session. Using the quick practice options works well to still collect resource points.
Yep different strategies works as before. if you want a more of a push to them using the soft less and mediums and hards much more then try the beta version in another resource. The temperature aspect is the same but the wear is a little less. I am currently using the Beta for testing and seems to work fine with 50% races

Last edited:
Hi Enrique

Nice one with 2021, its a good game.

Yes will work fine without doing practice session. Using the quick practice options works well to still collect resource points.
Yep different strategies works as before. if you want a more of a push to them using the soft less and mediums and hards much more then try the beta version in another resource. The temperature aspect is the same but the wear is a little less. I am currently using the Beta for testing and seems to work fine with 50% races
You have both my curiosity and my attention!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back