F1 | 2021 Regulations Delayed By One Year In New FIA Statement

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The FIA have confirmed that due to the economic impact of the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, a join decision has been reached to postpone the proposed 2021 Formula One rule set by a further year.

Set to be the most significant change to the sporting regulations in a decade, the move to the highly anticipated new set of 2021 rules for Formula One racing has been postponed until 2022, with Formula One CEO Chase Carey citing the financial impact of the disrupted Grand Prix calendar due to the ongoing Coronavirus as the cause for this drastic change of plans.

With many teams expected to be hit hard by the loss of income from dropped races, and no certainty around when world sporting events can safely resume, Liberty Media, in conjunction with the 10 current teams, have decided to move out by 12 months the proposed changes - although the anticipated budget cap due to be implemented next season will continue ahead as planned.

The full statement from Chase Carey can be found below:

Following a meeting convened today between Formula 1, The FIA and all ten Formula 1 Team Principals I wanted to provide an update on what was discussed and agreed.
During this exceptional time and following several race postponements and the World Motorsport Council’s (WMSC) unanimous decision to move the Formula 1 Summer break forward to March and April, we and the FIA discussed with the teams the need for extra flexibility to accommodate a rescheduled season once the COVID-19 situation improves.
At the meeting there was full support for the plans to reschedule as many of the postponed races as possible as soon as it is safe to do so. Formula 1 and the FIA will now work to finalise a revised 2020 calendar and will consult with the teams, but as agreed at the meeting the revised calendar will not require their formal approval. This will give us the necessary flexibility to agree revised timings with affected race promoters and to be ready to start racing at the right moment.
In addition, as announced by the FIA, it was agreed unanimously at the meeting that the implementation of the Technical Regulations due to take effect from the 2021 season will be postponed until 2022. Due to the currently volatile financial situation this has created, it has been agreed that teams will use their 2020 chassis for 2021, with the potential freezing of further components to be discussed in due course. The introduction and implementation of the Financial Regulations will go ahead as planned in 2021.
We are all very grateful for the collaborative nature of the discussions and fully united approach from all parties to get racing in 2020 as soon as the current global situation subsides. Formula 1 remains fully committed to launching a 2020 season as soon as possible.

Original Source: Formula One

Got questions about the sport we all love? Start a thread in the Formula One sub forum and let our awesome and knowledgeable community help you out!

F1 Rules Delay.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, I love those. I'm just in the process of watching the 80s season reviews. I had already forgotten many details. Don't like anything after 2000.

Only thing they could do was delay for a year but I don't think that will change anything on the regs at all.

If you love this cars.. try the chieff wiggum and postipate mods cars on Rfactor 2...... in VR gp79 mod on mid Ohio is the best you can get. 1000% wow factor!!

I think big tires look clunky and that mudguard doesn't look good.

It's not a mudguard, it's aerodynamic conditioners designed to manage the tyre wash spilling off the front tyres, such that cars can race closer to each other without losing downforce.

Many other racing series use 18 inch tyres and they have the additional benefit of not vibrating as much as the 13 inch tyres, meaning that both the suspension setup and their aerodynamic profile is easier to manage as I understand it.

It's fine to yearn for the past. But you can't stop progress.

P.S. If the 1994 cars had had a halo and the suspension attachment wires (and other safety devices and chassis solutions) that modern cars have, Ayrton Senna, Roland Ratzenberger, Jules Bianchi and God knows who else would likely still be alive.

Last edited:
really wanted to see those new cars asap, they look way better than the current stuff
except the halo by itself, maybe now F1 will have time to test and mandate the indycar windscreen in the design (but properly made for it rather than added to something that already exists), they'll look badass with it

It's fine to yearn for the past. But you can't stop progress.

P.S. If the 1994 cars had had a halo and the suspension attachment wires (and other safety devices and chassis solutions) that modern cars have, Ayrton Senna, Roland Ratzenberger, Jules Bianchi and God knows who else would likely still be alive.

True, I'll have to accept it. Doesn't mean I have to like it. And I am talking design only.

You sure do make a valid point when it comes to safety. As someone who is watching motorsports for about 40 years I've seen way too many deaths. It's weird watching F1 from the 80s (or any other series) and see how casual they were concerning safety. Back then it was normal for everyone, myself included. Just yesterday I saw the Villeneuve accident again. Sadly, there always has to be an accident to see what needs to be done. And even then the next safety feature might not cover all areas. Motorsport will always be dangerous and as safe as it can be.

Doesn't mean it has to be ugly looking. Althought I concede that is very subjective.

I feel like anyone whose fandom of F1 is largely based on how awesome the cars look isn't really much of a fan. (Or is 5, because that's about how sophisticated a mindset that is.)

There are like 367 better reasons to be bored with F1. :unsure:

Absolute rubbish!
The 1994 cars were racing cars, the drivers were real racing drivers and Formula 1 was actually the senior racing series.
Jules Bianchi died in a car that was only missing the 'Halo', it had all tethers and safety gubbins that have watered down F1 today.
:thumbsdown:

i don’t like the closed wheels, but the general Spec car is growing on me, it has some nice fluid lines. Sure I don’t like the halo, but if it saves a couple of lives, I’ll make that concession (who cares...).

The current Indycars are a mixed bag, some sleek lines, but the wheel fairings IMO spoil the final cosmetic appeal. They are ass heavy.

It is not like all previous F1 generations looked great, some of the seventies cars IMO are absolutely horrific and the eighties wasn't all super models either.

...of course most are focused on the safety side of racing, sure I’d like to more competitive close racing. All imo.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 148 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 408 39.9%