F1 2020 F1 2020 | Take A Deeper Look At The New 'My Team' Feature

F1 2020 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters continue to expand the offline career aspect of their F1 games, and in this recent trailer, the studio give us a little look at some of the things they have included around the team building aspect of the new title.

Expanding yet further into the world of Formula One outside of simply driving the car over a race weekend, Codemasters appear to have quite a few new features up their sleeve for when Formula One 2020 hits the public domain early next month.

Further fleshing out the career and team management aspect of the gameplay, a brand new 'My Team' aspect has been included in F1 2020, where players can enter their own team in the official Formula One World Championship and take on responsibility for the hiring and firing of staff, car development, sponsor acquirement and plenty of other intriguing features - which should go some way toward further fleshing out the offline portion of the game.

What is My Team?
My Team is a major new feature for F1® 2020, and a first for the F1® franchise. Alongside the well-established and much-loved Career mode, you’ll be able to experience F1® 2020 as a driver-manager, and it’s going to offer you a unique insight into the world of F1®. You’ll be able to create your own team, join the 2020 F1® line-up and go for glory.

Create
Here’s where it gets exciting. You’ll start by choosing your driver, and your car - building a unique visual identity and brand by picking a livery, creating your own colour scheme and setting up your team logo.
Next, you’ll be choosing your initial sponsors, engine supplier and teammate.

Teammate
In My Team you’ll always want to get the best driver for your budget, so bear that in mind when choosing who’s going to be in the garage next to you. Using our comprehensive driver rating system, you’ll be able to choose your teammate from the 2019 F2™ grid. Once you get some wins under your belt though, the F1® drivers start to fit into your budget.

Driver Market
How do you choose your teammate? Who’s best? Enter our brand-new driver market. Using this, you’ll be able to compare F1® and F2™ drivers based on Experience, Racecraft, Awareness and Pace, alongside their market value and the level of Acclaim (we’ll talk about this later) they bring to the team. All stats and driver skills are built from comprehensive real-world data from the past five F1® and F2™ seasons. Seriously. There’s some serious maths that have gone into this!
You can see the starting values for drivers right here – they are dynamic so they will change as you play My Team and evolve as the real-life season progresses.

Facing The Media
Livery? Check. Sponsor? Check. It’s time for your first interview. Be careful how you answer, your responses will affect your team, your acclaim, and your facilities. Once finalised, your car will be shown off to the world.

Manage Facilities
With everything picked, first interview aced, it’s time to check out your team! Your facilities are the lifeblood of your team, so invest in them, look after them, and they’ll see you winning World Championships in no time. Each facility is a department within your team and each has multiple areas that can be levelled up. Let’s take a look at them:

Aerodynamics
The wind tunnel is there to get you ahead with your aerodynamics.

Powertrain
Investing here will give your engine more oomph.

Chassis
The chassis facility allows you to make developments in weight reduction, weight redistribution, tyre wear and brakes.

Durability
Want your car to go further, and be more reliable? You’ll need durability.

Personnel
Otherwise known as the sim. Here’s where you’ll be training your drivers and improving their performance.

Marketing
The Marketing department is there to find ways to promote the team, find new sponsors and get you more revenue.

You’ll also need to manage your team’s resources and time during the week and make sure they’re properly motivated. The season timeline shows the events coming-up which play through and will boost performance. There are pros and cons to team activities, so sending a driver to fitness camp could have a knock-on effect such as less time dedicated to sponsors. You’ll also need to balance upgrading and managing your facilities, otherwise you might need to temporarily shut down one or more of your facilities to help save money. This action will have consequences, so make sure you’re doing this only when necessary.

Drive
It’s time to take your place as the 11th team on the grid, driving the car you’ve developed throughout the F1® season. There’s no room for inner-team rivalries when you’re also the team boss. Both you and your teammate need to be on their A game, in order to get the best results possible.

Win Acclaim
Acclaim is everything in My Team – the more you have, the more will be open to you. Drivers and teams both have Acclaim, as a driver the more you have, the more your salary will increase. The more Acclaim you and your team earn, the better the sponsorships and opportunities. Whatever drivers earn is added to their team’s Acclaim, and with that comes more sponsorship and opportunities. All this makes it easier to upgrade your facilities, giving you the edge. Each facility has its own research and development tree you can explore and upgrade using Resource Points – and putting it all together you can upgrade your facilities, develop your car, and make your team World Champions.

Original Source: Codemasters

F1 2020 is set to release on July 7th for PS4, Xbox One, PC and Google Stadia.

Got questions about the game? Start a new thread at the RaceDepartment F1 2020 sub forum here at RaceDepartment, and let the community help you out!

F1 2020 Header.jpg
F1 2020 1.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks you shouldn't be allowed to upgrade the engine unless you're a manufacturer team? It would be more realistic to have the manufacturer tell you when new upgrades are expected so you can plan when you put a new engine in the car? Other than that, My Team is the main reason I'm likely to buy the game this year.

Makes sense but you'd need the ability to become a manufacturer team and creating your own engines but obviously that would take time and money to make it realistic, maybe even the ability to sell your own engines to other teams to create an income.

It's so surprising that Codemadters Birmingham as F1 game maker from Britain have so little knowledge about F1 after 10 years cooperation with them... I wonder if they have almost forgotten they were making "Formula One" game, it just looks like a motorsport game with F1 cars in it. Look at those wind tunnels "as players upgrade them", 1. the first two craps would never be used in a modern Formula one testing if you don't have good enough wind tunnel you can go to Köln and ask Toyota if you could use theirs, as McLaren did these years, 2. Codemadters allow teams to use F1 cars to be used in wind tunnel testing which is strictly prohibited in F1 as any models larger than 60% scale are not allowed in wind tunnel testing let alone real cars :rolleyes:

It's so surprising that Codemadters Birmingham as F1 game maker from Britain have so little knowledge about F1 after 10 years cooperation with them... I wonder if they have almost forgotten they were making "Formula One" game, it just looks like a motorsport game with F1 cars in it. Look at those wind tunnels "as players upgrade them", 1. the first two craps would never be used in a modern Formula one testing if you don't have good enough wind tunnel you can go to Köln and ask Toyota if you could use theirs, as McLaren did these years, 2. Codemadters allow teams to use F1 cars to be used in wind tunnel testing which is strictly prohibited in F1 as any models larger than 60% scale are not allowed in wind tunnel testing let alone real cars :rolleyes:
I have a suspicion the reason is not they wouldn't know, rather than it is... a game. Also most of the player base (including me) don't know all of these details, so they don't care.

The first time I am hyped for an F1 game since they moved to the current consoles (although I'm on PC), this seems to be the first time since Codies started the franchise that there seems to be a substantial addition to the game :)

Someone can't differentiate between a game and real life. This is a F1 racing game not a hardcore F1 management game as well btw.

I want to know, is the personal driver career separate from the new team? Driver transfers are not random, are they?
Normal career as it was until now is separate from my team.
Driver transfers are less random, at least that's what they said they tried to do.

...why not go the whole way, add option to only manage - AI drivers only (and accelerated results). If you are putting in 80% of a management game, you might as well go 100%.
Because that kind of game (official F1 management game) is in development, so I guess it wouldn't make sense to put it in 2 place.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 387 39.8%