F1 2020 F1 2020 | Split Screen Multiplayer Trailer Revealed

F1 2020 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have today shown off the returning split-screen multiplayer mode within F1 2020 - the first time this local multiplayer mode returns to the F1 franchise following an absence in recent releases.

As well as giving us fans their first look at local this old school style multiplayer option within the title, we also get a glimpse of the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve 2020 style - one of the most popular circuits on the real world Formula One schedule.

F1 2020 is set to release on July 7th for PS4, Xbox One, PC and Google Stadia.

Got questions about the game? Start a new thread at the RaceDepartment F1 2020 sub forum here at RaceDepartment, and let the community help you out!

Splitscreen_Austria_01.jpg

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 379375

I only tried the 2010 version when it came out. Arcade game, so not interested, and the following versions people still say it's just an arcade Sim.

But, what about the graphics, how do you like it compared to ACC and AMS 2?
I was gifted 2019 , trust me , it's arcade.
I wish people who enjoy arcade games wouldn't constantly try to convince sim racers it's anything but arcade.
Glad I didn't waste my money.
Wasted F1 licence IMO.Good earner though I'm sure

I was about to ask if two wheels would work, I assume not from your reply.

A pity it isn't split to separate screens rather than top/bottom.
Honestly, I don't even know. But it might feel weird, when you can't set a FOV properly etc.. Sounds more like something aimed at gamepads. But on the other hand, I guess it might work if someone has two wheels? (I actually don't)

To be fair, the game has evolved quite a lot since the original 2010 release. As for the arcade sim… Well, that's highly debatable, I don't even know what people mean by "arcade" and "sim" anymore. These words are mentioned so often and in so many different ways that they are getting meaningless.

The graphics are good, maybe not as good as ACC. I wish they used more vivid colours however.

Well, from the videos I saw of this game, I don't think it may be a life-like simulator similar to rFactor 2, which to me is the best racing/driving simulator, and because I don't see the cars
suffering from oversteer or understeer, nor I see the chassis moving like it had a very well
simulated suspension going on... it looks like it's very forgiving on kerbs too, very easy to
drive.

I'm sure for many people is good enough to have fun with - especially because it's an official license with the real cars and drivers names and tracks, but since there are great Formulas
cars in other Sims, I preffer the better simulators.

Having said that, the game looks realistic graphically, not the best or more detailed out there,
but it's nice to watch if you love Formula 1.

This won't get much use with the RD crowd, but I suspect it'll be a big hit with the console players (who form the base of the market this game is targeted at).

I mean, really, the game is like FIFA or Madden at this point. New rosters, new uniforms, a few tweaks to the actual game (some of which will invariably be gimmicks, some of which will be legit incremental improvements). F1 2020 isn't going to be much different than F1 2019, but it's light years ahead of F1 2010 in every way (you can say the same about FIFA, Madden, etc). I respect everyone's right to be driven nuts by that, but I think it's self-inflicted. It's the nature of the beast with these big name big money licensed titles and, furthermore, expecting every year's title to show revolutionary changes over the previous year's title is just not going to happen.

I thought F1 2019 was really, really good. I am on record as saying it can make a pretty strong case to being the best racing game ever. No, really. Name another title that packs in as much as F1 2019 does - all the tracks, the drivers, the cars, the rules, the career mode, lively multiplayer, great visuals, credible physics (by console standards). Yeah, yeah, I know - "if I want a REAL F1 experience, I'll go download such and such F1 mod for rFactor 2". Yup, you, me, and 40 other people on the face of the earth understand what that sentence means. Meanwhile F1 2020 took another 5,000 preorders. :p

I have mixed feelings
This won't get much use with the RD crowd, but I suspect it'll be a big hit with the console players (who form the base of the market this game is targeted at).

I mean, really, the game is like FIFA or Madden at this point. New rosters, new uniforms, a few tweaks to the actual game (some of which will invariably be gimmicks, some of which will be legit incremental improvements). F1 2020 isn't going to be much different than F1 2019, but it's light years ahead of F1 2010 in every way (you can say the same about FIFA, Madden, etc). I respect everyone's right to be driven nuts by that, but I think it's self-inflicted. It's the nature of the beast with these big name big money licensed titles and, furthermore, expecting every year's title to show revolutionary changes over the previous year's title is just not going to happen.

I thought F1 2019 was really, really good. I am on record as saying it can make a pretty strong case to being the best racing game ever. No, really. Name another title that packs in as much as F1 2019 does - all the tracks, the drivers, the cars, the rules, the career mode, lively multiplayer, great visuals, credible physics (by console standards). Yeah, yeah, I know - "if I want a REAL F1 experience, I'll go download such and such F1 mod for rFactor 2". Yup, you, me, and 40 other people on the face of the earth understand what that sentence means. Meanwhile F1 2020 took another 5,000 preorders. :p

I agree with a lot of your post. I'm surprised, however, that nobody mentions the addition of the F2 championship last year. Adding a whole new racing series to an existing game is more than a simple little tweak, in my opinion. Also, they have worked quite a lot to improve career mode and even if it's not perfect, it's still the most enjoyable part of the game.

I agree with you that a "pure sim" would only attract a very small amount of people. But as I always say, the whole idea of a real F1 experience on a PC is highly questionable, as far as I'm concerned. To me, the only real F1 experience would be the simulators used by real F1 teams, driven by professional drivers.

Well, from the videos I saw of this game, I don't think it may be a life-like simulator similar to rFactor 2, which to me is the best racing/driving simulator, and because I don't see the cars
suffering from oversteer or understeer, nor I see the chassis moving like it had a very well
simulated suspension going on... it looks like it's very forgiving on kerbs too, very easy to
drive.

I'm sure for many people is good enough to have fun with - especially because it's an official license with the real cars and drivers names and tracks, but since there are great Formulas
cars in other Sims, I preffer the better simulators.

Having said that, the game looks realistic graphically, not the best or more detailed out there,
but it's nice to watch if you love Formula 1.
We've been saying it's a turd for years, this season real life F1 drivers decided to do it too, and since the fans couldn't just say "what do you know?" to them... it may have triggered something.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/06/08/russell-shocked-by-handling-improvements-in-f1-2020/

We've been saying it's a turd for years, this season real life F1 drivers decided to do it too, and since the fans couldn't just say "what do you know?" to them... it may have triggered something.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/06/08/russell-shocked-by-handling-improvements-in-f1-2020/
It did, as they used circumstances and real drivers playing the game. What I see as difference is gamers saying “game is bad, it’s not like this sim, or that sim”. While drivers said “this game is not as real life”, since they are only ones that can say that.
On top of that drivers also said for other sims they are not as real life, but that’s another story, and understandable since in the end all of them are sims/games and not real life.

It did, as they used circumstances and real drivers playing the game. What I see as difference is gamers saying “game is bad, it’s not like this sim, or that sim”. While drivers said “this game is not as real life”, since they are only ones that can say that.
On top of that drivers also said for other sims they are not as real life, but that’s another story, and understandable since in the end all of them are sims/games and not real life.
They also said those other games which are not "real life"(well duh) were much better/closer than F1 2019, Max, Lando, Gutierrez... can't even give you the full list so long it is.
Russell who is complimenting 2020, has won the last 3 races of the virtual championship still said 2019 is bad.

I was gifted 2019 , trust me , it's arcade.
I wish people who enjoy arcade games wouldn't constantly try to convince sim racers it's anything but arcade.
Glad I didn't waste my money.
Wasted F1 licence IMO.Good earner though I'm sure
It's just a different genre. This is not a stupid physics simulator for the sake of physics, this is a role-playing game about the career of a Formula 1 driver. (driver-manager in F1 2020)

They also said those other games which are not "real life"(well duh) were much better/closer than F1 2019, Max, Lando, Gutierrez... can't even give you the full list so long it is.
Russell who is complimenting 2020, has won the last 3 races of the virtual championship still said 2019 is bad.
I’m not comparing F1 to other games, no arguing there. As StrongestFish said above.

Totally insane that they add multiple multiple brand new tracks in which some are laser scanned we was told like ZANDVOORT,
All new cars for 2020 new classics , all new textures, drivers, pit crews, new UI, in which took RF2 almost a decade to update, codies do it year in and year out, all new PP effects and lighting, but yet everyone here expects this to be a free update to 2019 or 2018 games it’s absurd reading the comments.

• Deleted member 379375

There is a commonly held view that more is better. I'd rather have less but better quality myself , in my book two piles of crap is not better than one. It reminds me of the early Japanese cars, full of bells and whistles but rust buckets with poor driving dynamics. In other words forget the driving look at the shiny objects.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was about to ask if two wheels would work, I assume not from your reply.

A pity it isn't split to separate screens rather than top/bottom.

Hmm, that's a really good question though. Does a PC recognize two different steering wheels if they are from pretty much the same manufacturer etc? Realistically there will be a lot of people with the good old Logitech, or the entry-level GT-wheels etc. If you connect two of them to the same PC, will they be seen as separate or the same?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back