F1 2020 F1 2020 | New Game Trailer And Launch Announcement

F1 2020 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have confirmed the next instalment of the long running F1 franchise will release this July - with quite a few new additions under the hood.

That's right, despite the real world Formula One season having yet to start, it looks highly likely that Codemasters will be the first out of the blocks to bring Grand Prix racing to the general public - with the launch of F1 2020 expected to land this coming July.

The latest F1 game will of course contain the new cars and drivers of Formula One 2020 style, plus the returning and revised Zandvoort Circuit alongside a new street course in Vietnam, adding up to the full 22 race calendar that should have been run in the real world series.

Check out the launch trailer below:

As you can see from the trailer, customisation is looking to play a large part in the 2020 edition of the game, with players now able to create their own team and race alongside the stars of 2020 thanks to the introduction of the 'My Team' feature.

In 'My Team', players can enjoy a new driver-manager experience and car customisation, something that Codemasters will preview more in depth as the studio build towards a full game release over the next couple of months.

Also new for F1 2020 is the inclusion of split screen mode for local multiplayer action, and F2 also makes a welcome return after debuting in F1 2019.

The press release can be read in full below:

In a series of firsts for the F1® franchise, F1® 2020 offers ‘My Team’. This major new game mode allows players to create their F1® team and take their place alongside the established 2020 line-up, with a new driver-manager experience offering a unique insight into the world of F1®.

My Team and the well-established and critically acclaimed Career mode will allow players more flexibility with the choice of three season lengths. Players can choose from the original full 22 race season, and shorter 10 and 16 race season options, which now includes Hanoi Circuit and Circuit Zandvoort.

For social play with friends, two-player split-screen makes its welcome return, alongside a host of new options designed to help new players and adjust the F1® challenge to match their expertise. These modes are in addition to the core F1® and F2™ racing experiences which remain as challenging as ever for those who love the intensity of simulation racing.

Fans who purchase the F1® 2020 Deluxe Schumacher Edition will get to drive as the legendary German driver Michael Schumacher in four of his most iconic cars. Players will also receive exclusive content including themed car liveries and driver customisation items, including a unique podium celebration. The four cars included in the F1® 2020 Deluxe Schumacher Edition are:

• 1991: Jordan 191
  • 1994: Benetton B194
  • 1995: Benetton B195
  • 2000: Ferrari F1-2000

Additionally, to celebrate the Seventieth Anniversary of Formula 1® itself, fans who pre-order or purchase the Schumacher Deluxe Edition or the ‘F1® 2020: F1® Seventy Edition’ will receive an exclusive set of in-game items. A Limited Edition F1® 2020 Steelbook will also be available in local markets via selected retailers.

"F1® 2020 promises to be our biggest and most innovative title to date,” said Paul Jeal, F1® Franchise Director at Codemasters.
Our core players will welcome even greater gameplay depth with the introduction of our brand-new My Team feature, alongside three customisable season lengths which allows them to pick their favour tracks. In the year where Lewis Hamilton is going for his seventh World Championship, we celebrate the greatest F1® driver of all time with our Michael Schumacher Deluxe Edition, which we know will prove popular with our community.”
“As huge fans of F1®, we continue to innovate and develop game modes that bring players even closer to the real-world sport,” said Lee Mather, F1® Game Director at Codemasters.​
We’ve also added new modes to enable more casual players to get up to speed more easily, and we’ve brought back split-screen for social play with friends. The additions reduce both the difficulty and time barrier to entry while retaining the car handling that our simulation players love.”
F1 2020 will be available on console and PC July 2020.

Keep an eye out for the upcoming F1 2020 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and details about the upcoming new official Formula One racing videogame.

F1 2019 1.jpg
F1 2020 2.jpg
F1 2020 3.jpg
F1 2020 4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice teaser, doesn't really tell us much but well made. I was really watching to see if Madness logo showed up in the credits at the end, but this didn't include game play. I assume they probably didn't have near enough time anyways and maybe they'll wait until 2021 for that engine and next gen consoles which will finally hopefully include VR support.

Nice teaser, doesn't really tell us much but well made. I was really watching to see if Madness logo showed up in the credits at the end, but this didn't include game play. I assume they probably didn't have near enough time anyways and maybe they'll wait until 2021 for that engine and next gen consoles which will finally hopefully include VR support.

I hope they dont use the madness engine for anything. Their current engine is good, madness has some massive flaws that would ruin the game.

Me too. I've always thought it is ironic that people call Codemasters F1 "simcade" to defend it from users who don't like it. That old argument about how "if it was a sim, mainstream users wouldn't buy it because it would be harder to drive with a gamepad".
AMS2 V10, FReiza and Ultimate are much easier to drive than F1 2019 on a wheel. The gamepad logic it's a separate topic.
And very few people call AMS1 and AMS2 "simcade".

Also curious as to how well they will be able to represent the Hanoi track and Zandvoort when one wasnt complete and the other was only completed days before lockdown in the UK which is where Codemasters are based.

Well if they're going for accuracy based on the real 2020 season, those rounds will be postponed and you won't get to drive on them until next game :whistling:

I am intrigued, no doubt people will be wanting the new tracks as well.

How bad were the bugs in 2019 version?

Not sure if this was the same for others but I was put off the F1 games for several years as each year they released in like an "almost finished" state with needing several patches.

Well, i was hoping for that too, but it seems they have started working on 2020 game a week after publishing the 2019 one lol

Also i'm hoping for some updates for famous tracks like spa, suzuka and a few other ones as they are so bad, especially in term of Elevation changes, they don't need laser scan to do that, some areas are wrong even by looking at them...

I'm curious to see how DAS will work on the Silver Arrows. Currently they have all the cars equal (otherwise how would pick Williams or Haas?). Will the Merc have an advantage? or will this be disabled on anything outside of offline modes?

Actually nvm, it won't have VR so I likely won't play it anyways unless it goes free for a week like 2019 did recently.

They wont do that. Would be no point in bringing the game out seeing as i doubt there will be ANY races this year anyway.

I wasn't being serious lol...I should have committed further and gone with the game being about getting your virtual driver the best simrig and streaming service possible to participate in various eSports events while in virtual lockdown :p

They'd probably just eyeball/guestimate them like several of their other tracks...

Last edited:
I am intrigued, no doubt people will be wanting the new tracks as well.

How bad were the bugs in 2019 version?

Not sure if this was the same for others but I was put off the F1 games for several years as each year they released in like an "almost finished" state with needing several patches.

The major bugs/bad mechanisms of the new F1 games were particularly:

* AI , the way they ignore you while you are driving on the racing line also about their inconsistency, they are so weak in Monaco,Singapore and Montreal but so strong on some other tracks, so you have to keep changing the AI level to avoid getting a pole position by your midfield car or a second row race start with a back marker car.

* Safety car in Career mode, it just doesn't come out , almost fixed now, almost! somehow by the last update two months ago.

*The rate of Development by AI teams and they way that they can not manage their PU units efficiently to always have a good PU parts and not getting penalties, but they manage to always have worn out engines and getting penalties.

* The insane frequently of mid season and post season drivers transfers (now it's less frequent by the latest updates but you can see still see a Ricciardo to redbull and Max to renault at the same time)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%