F1 2020 F1 2020 | New Game Trailer And Launch Announcement

F1 2020 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have confirmed the next instalment of the long running F1 franchise will release this July - with quite a few new additions under the hood.

That's right, despite the real world Formula One season having yet to start, it looks highly likely that Codemasters will be the first out of the blocks to bring Grand Prix racing to the general public - with the launch of F1 2020 expected to land this coming July.

The latest F1 game will of course contain the new cars and drivers of Formula One 2020 style, plus the returning and revised Zandvoort Circuit alongside a new street course in Vietnam, adding up to the full 22 race calendar that should have been run in the real world series.

Check out the launch trailer below:

As you can see from the trailer, customisation is looking to play a large part in the 2020 edition of the game, with players now able to create their own team and race alongside the stars of 2020 thanks to the introduction of the 'My Team' feature.

In 'My Team', players can enjoy a new driver-manager experience and car customisation, something that Codemasters will preview more in depth as the studio build towards a full game release over the next couple of months.

Also new for F1 2020 is the inclusion of split screen mode for local multiplayer action, and F2 also makes a welcome return after debuting in F1 2019.

The press release can be read in full below:

In a series of firsts for the F1® franchise, F1® 2020 offers ‘My Team’. This major new game mode allows players to create their F1® team and take their place alongside the established 2020 line-up, with a new driver-manager experience offering a unique insight into the world of F1®.

My Team and the well-established and critically acclaimed Career mode will allow players more flexibility with the choice of three season lengths. Players can choose from the original full 22 race season, and shorter 10 and 16 race season options, which now includes Hanoi Circuit and Circuit Zandvoort.

For social play with friends, two-player split-screen makes its welcome return, alongside a host of new options designed to help new players and adjust the F1® challenge to match their expertise. These modes are in addition to the core F1® and F2™ racing experiences which remain as challenging as ever for those who love the intensity of simulation racing.

Fans who purchase the F1® 2020 Deluxe Schumacher Edition will get to drive as the legendary German driver Michael Schumacher in four of his most iconic cars. Players will also receive exclusive content including themed car liveries and driver customisation items, including a unique podium celebration. The four cars included in the F1® 2020 Deluxe Schumacher Edition are:

• 1991: Jordan 191
  • 1994: Benetton B194
  • 1995: Benetton B195
  • 2000: Ferrari F1-2000

Additionally, to celebrate the Seventieth Anniversary of Formula 1® itself, fans who pre-order or purchase the Schumacher Deluxe Edition or the ‘F1® 2020: F1® Seventy Edition’ will receive an exclusive set of in-game items. A Limited Edition F1® 2020 Steelbook will also be available in local markets via selected retailers.

"F1® 2020 promises to be our biggest and most innovative title to date,” said Paul Jeal, F1® Franchise Director at Codemasters.
Our core players will welcome even greater gameplay depth with the introduction of our brand-new My Team feature, alongside three customisable season lengths which allows them to pick their favour tracks. In the year where Lewis Hamilton is going for his seventh World Championship, we celebrate the greatest F1® driver of all time with our Michael Schumacher Deluxe Edition, which we know will prove popular with our community.”
“As huge fans of F1®, we continue to innovate and develop game modes that bring players even closer to the real-world sport,” said Lee Mather, F1® Game Director at Codemasters.​
We’ve also added new modes to enable more casual players to get up to speed more easily, and we’ve brought back split-screen for social play with friends. The additions reduce both the difficulty and time barrier to entry while retaining the car handling that our simulation players love.”
F1 2020 will be available on console and PC July 2020.

Keep an eye out for the upcoming F1 2020 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and details about the upcoming new official Formula One racing videogame.

F1 2019 1.jpg
F1 2020 2.jpg
F1 2020 3.jpg
F1 2020 4.jpg

Last edited:
After the completely broken physics in the last game, I'm not buying this one. I compared the physics to F1 2018 and F1 2017, and the physics were much worse. If I can't trust Codemasters to get their braking model to have the car not lock up at 50% force, then why would I trust them to accurately make cars that never even raced on track?

I was so sure that there would not be a F1 release from codemasters this year. This is surprising to say the least. Strange to see the new F1 tracks available before anyone had the chance to see any races there in real life.

I obviously haven't driven a F1 car, but the physics in these games feels very strange and annoying. And i can't stand the braking here (noticed the same in Codemasters Dirt) where it always feels like you lock your brakes way too easily.Played around with the settings a lot, tried lower brake pressure, but i cannot get it right when i spend most of my time in other sims, where brakes seem to make more sense.
Was glad to see Lando giving the same comments on the brakes on a stream a while back. ABS makes me less annoyed, but it doesn't feel right to drive these cars with ABS.

Curious about the 11th team thing. Will we be able to sign another driver alongside ourselves? If yes - real drivers, or just generic drivers?

Imagine that only Devon Butler will be available for our team. :D

One more step towards a completely customizable career mode. I am still waiting for a ground-up customizable sandbox season mode with all custom teams/drivers/calendar/rules.

I am intrigued, no doubt people will be wanting the new tracks as well.

How bad were the bugs in 2019 version?

Not sure if this was the same for others but I was put off the F1 games for several years as each year they released in like an "almost finished" state with needing several patches.

The big thing that annoyed a lot of players early on was the safety car never coming out, but the recent patch pretty much solved it. The one bug that was never solved is that the game sometimes freezes when I launch it and I have to reboot my PC. I had the same problem with F1 2018.

I take these F1 games for what they are. Overall, I find them very enjoyable, I like the way the tracks are simulated, I like how the rules of F1 are integrated into the gaming experience... In other words, I like the overall feel of the game even if it's not an absolutely, 100% simulation. I understand that they have to make some compromises to make the game interesting for gamers who are not into hardcore sim racing like iRacing, for example. If When I want a more true-to-life experience, I just launch AC, AMS, ACC or R3E.

One aspect of the game that needs a bit of improvement is the career mode: the interactions between the driver, the team and the manager feel very artificial and scripted. And the radio communications with the engineer in the pits are most of the time repetitive and annoying.

Meh. It's just like Fifa. The same game every year with so little difference that it's not worth buying.

If they properly changed the physics to be more realistic & overhauled the graphics from scratch then i'd be far more interested. It needs a new lick of paint. A game that comes out in 2020 shouldn't still look much worse then a game like Driveclub that came out in 2014.

I bet they still haven't been bothered to sort the horrendous pit animations they've had for the last few years.

FFS no VR again. Jesus.

I honestly thought that this year, due to the global situation, might be one where the Codies could actually start development on getting the F1 series technologically up to date. They wouldn't need to release a game this year as there will be no F1 season this year, which leads me to my next point:-

How on earth do the Codies think they're going to sell yet another copy and paste F1 game based on the 2020 F1 season when there isn't going to be an a 2020 F1 season, without the inclusion of long awaited and requested features?

I admit I do really like the F1 series. It plays well, drives well, and the AI is by far the best in the business, but it really needs VR to remain relevant.

I've been loving 2019 lately. Only singleplayer campaign worth any salt in sim racing at the moment. Being able to make my own team will be that much more fun. I hope they implement it well. Honestly would've been the perfect year to take a year off and REALLY make improvements/additions to the series, but the 11th team thing is a big addition and worth it. We'll have to see what the next consoles do with VR, but it can't be ignored forever on PC. They're gonna have to tack it on eventually, even if it is as clunky as DiRT Rally 1 and 2. Either way, looking forward to it!
Bought 2019 with a big discount. I enjoyed much more than I expected. AntiAliasing still sucks big time. But the game it self is pretty solid. Racing with no help and high AI settings it's a handfull. FFB and physics are good enough to enjoy it.

What do you think ?:cool: Who is the genius marketing man, who let this happen?

View attachment 363426
the "work in progress, not final car models" sign wasn't big enough for you? does it have to be put in bold capitals across the whole screen? now that would be absolutely genius!

Mercedes with Ferrari model or Ferrari with Mercedes skin?

so it's a mercedes with a ferrari skin then? cause a mercedes on a ferrari model and a ferrari with a mercedes skin are the exact same thing :cautious:

Curious about the 11th team thing. Will we be able to sign another driver alongside ourselves? If yes - real drivers, or just generic drivers?

Good question, until F1 2019 I would've said only fantasy drivers. But with F1 2019 featuring drivers changing teams there might a little chance for something to happen.
However, this means that all drivers has to be rated, and that rating being publicly seen. That might be a thing that's not wanted in the F1 driving-game series.

Bought 2019 with a big discount. I enjoyed much more than I expected. AntiAliasing still sucks big time. But the game it self is pretty solid. Racing with no help and high AI settings it's a handfull. FFB and physics are good enough to enjoy it.

Indeed. Add to this manual ERS etc. I feel like I am spending more time looking at how the system is performing, tyre life and thinking about how to utilize things the best way, than what I am spending driving. That feels like a simulation to me!

Big yawn. Already bought three F1 games from Codepasters along the years, never played any of them that much. The FFB and physics are just uninspiring. What's the value of career mode, open wheeler driving is so much more enjoyable in AMS. The career mode is just fluff, if the driving sucks

Overall, I consider myself a fan of the F1 series - I think it's gotten really quite good over the past few years and, depending on how broadly you define "simulation", I think you can make a case that it's the deepest simulation of any real-world race series ever (and it's not even close).

Here's the nasty little (not so) secret though. The physics engine has inherent understeer baked in. I'm sorry, it's the truth - you get understeer in these cars at times/places you would just not expect. The game drives ok with a wheel (and I think it's made huge leaps in that direction since ~2015 or so) but it's still being made first and foremost for joypad drivers.

I go on little spurts where I play it a lot because the content is so good and so complete, but inevitably I end up getting irritated with the handling and it goes back on the shelf for a while.

If I had my dream F1 2020 wishlist, it would be a title that truly and unreservedly drives well with a wheel (it doesn't have to be "best FFB ever!" grade either, just not annoying) and also the ability to replay classic F1 seasons. Can you imagine that? Now THERE is a career mode I would be all over - the ability to start your career in whatever year you'd like and then work your way from slow to fast across the changing landscape of F1 over your chosen time period.

I realize this all sounds pretty negative, so I'll say again: I do consider myself a fan. I think it's a good game, maybe even a great game. From a sim racer's perspective, I think the understeer is a fatal flaw though...it's always going to eventually get on my nerves.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 223 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 116 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.3%