F1 2020 Modding Questions Thread

I have a very similar question. Using the Racenet save location I have my livery in game but I can't figure out specmaps (m and s files).

All the guidance here has been great so far, I haven't had to ask a question... but now I'm stuck!

Is there a good guide / template on how to create these? Firstly I'd just like a simple glossy spec map, but later I'd like to experiment with masking some of livery with matt or chrome highlights.
Matte is 0, 255, 0

Chrome and metallic is around dark blue and light blue.

I have a custom livery, but my problem with it is the lines dividing my white, black and blue layers are blurry and not straight. i'm using the polygon fill tool in photoshop. when i increase the image size it just gets more blurry, and if i decrease it it gets jagged. any fix? do i need to change something in photoshop to get a straight line?

I fixed the black car issue (thanks maian) but my car still appears to have a green sheen in game. The livery is normal at a distance, but if the camera gets close the car turns bright green. I'm not sure what to do, since my specmap works fine on other liveries. (edit: mip1 of my car is literally all green. all the other ones are fine. how do i fix this?)

Last edited:
I have a very similar question. Using the Racenet save location I have my livery in game but I can't figure out specmaps (m and s files).

All the guidance here has been great so far, I haven't had to ask a question... but now I'm stuck!

Is there a good guide / template on how to create these? Firstly I'd just like a simple glossy spec map, but later I'd like to experiment with masking some of livery with matt or chrome highlights.

Guide specular map test:

Hello all,

With the addition of My Team in this years game and being fairly computer savvy, I thought I'd give a go at creating some custom stuff for use myself. However, of the guides I could find, alot missed key points and things that could have save me hours. I've now completed for now this project which includes all pit and crew wear and custom vehicle and helmet design. Now with this complete, hopefully to help anyone out there wanting to tinker themselves done a series of idiot's guides to finding and exporting game files, making custom designs and then applying them in game.

They can be found on my youtube, but be warned I'm no pro content creator at all and it is an idiots guide for those wanting to create something fully bespoke. I'm currently working around perfecting other stuff such as pit gantries and monitor displays for practice and quali which once complete I'll put a few more videos up. Hopefully in doing them, I can assist or save time to those tinkering about themselves.

Idiots Guide to Modding F1 2020 the Game

Attachments

• Background 1.png
    Background 1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 177
  • Racesuit Thumbnail.png
    Racesuit Thumbnail.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 147
  • Team Gear Thumbnail.png
    Team Gear Thumbnail.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
  • Pit Crew.png
    Pit Crew.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 166
  • Pit Monitors.png
    Pit Monitors.png
    973.9 KB · Views: 145
I've succesfully made my own Aston Martin Racing livery over the last couple of days, but I have a question regarding helmet skins.

How do modders make helmet skins in particular? I downloaded the 3D model from RaceDepartment but it feels to me like there's a better technique people are using to put stuff on the helmet rather than bending logo's out of shape on the flat texture.

Am I right about this feeling or are modders really using the flat texture dds and bending logo's to work on the helmet? Or is there some way to paint on the 3D model itself maybe?

Using Photoshop. Thanks in advance for the response.

Has anyone figured out if its possible to change team names and the like? I'd like to change Racing Point after a season to Aston Martin if possible.

Has anyone figured out if its possible to change team names and the like? I'd like to change Racing Point after a season to Aston Martin if possible.
It is saved in the language file which is located in the localisation folder. However this folder will only be patched into the files in the future (at least we hope so). The same happened last year I think: the language file was missing and after the communtiy went riot, they patched it in. Hopefully they will this year as well

anybody know how to fix blurry lines in custom liveries? my sponsors aren't blurry but the lines from me painting are.
Make sure the template you're using doesn't use a 1024x1024 image size for the livery. Liveries should be 4096x4096.

If you've done that and saved it with the correct settings, then the other likely issue is that you've not imported the car livery to all the correct files and have non-matching mipmaps.

You need to be sure and replace the same livery file in the following ERP's:
  • 2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\fom_car\wep\fom_car.erp
  • 2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\myteam_ferrari\wep\myteam_ferrari.erp
  • 2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\myteam_honda\wep\myteam_honda.erp
  • 2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\myteam_mercedes\wep\myteam_mercedes.erp
  • 2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\myteam_renault\wep\myteam_renault.erp
You also need to be sure and save the mipmaps in the correct location:
  • f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\fom_car\textures\liveries

Make sure the template you're using doesn't use a 1024x1024 image size for the livery. Liveries should be 4096x4096.

If you've done that and saved it with the correct settings, then the other likely issue is that you've not imported the car livery to all the correct files and have non-matching mipmaps.

You need to be sure and replace the same livery file in the following ERP's:
  • 2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\fom_car\wep\fom_car.erp
  • 2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\myteam_ferrari\wep\myteam_ferrari.erp
  • 2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\myteam_honda\wep\myteam_honda.erp
  • 2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\myteam_mercedes\wep\myteam_mercedes.erp
  • 2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\myteam_renault\wep\myteam_renault.erp
You also need to be sure and save the mipmaps in the correct location:
  • f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\fom_car\textures\liveries
nope, i've done that. the sponsors are crystal clear but there is like a blurry white-blue line whenever the color switches.

nope, i've done that. the sponsors are crystal clear but there is like a blurry white-blue line whenever the color switches.
What does your texture look like in photoshop and what does it look like in-game? Provide as much info as you can when wanting help on a problem or it's just going to turn into a game of 20 questions ;)

haha sorry. i think i might have figured it out. the model im using gives me a 1024 x 1024, then I model on that and after I resize. I believe thats the issue. downloaded one that starts me with 4096 x 4096, if it works ill post on here and if it doesnt ill supply screenshots.

Guide specular map test:

Thanks mate, I did see that post but I guess I assumed it was more difficult than that. Actually it is more difficult than that, through some trial and error I think I have a decent spec overlay.

I should mention that I finally updated the specular post I made earlier in the thread (that Samideluxe linked). I left everything I had before, but added what settings to save the Specular map as, and also what the colors that Codemasters use for their spec maps:

View attachment 396402 View attachment 396403

Thanks, that's a good reference.

I ended up with a nice metallic effect from a blue #0080ff. Reminds me of what Jaguar did a few years back. Looks great especially contrasted against matt or gloss #ff3500 (the yellow below is gloss).

I exported the specular layer same way I did the main livery (BC7) and it seemed to work, should I redo it as BC1?

Ramrod numbers.jpg

Next question:

I'm trying to modify my car number to match the livery but can't quite figure out how to save it in photoshop. You can see in the image above the background isn't completely transparent. Anyone got a quick step-by-step on editing car number files?

EDIT: Well I figured out how to get the transperant alpha channel saved, but now the colours are wrong.

Here is what I did.

Export the texture using ERP Archiever
Open in Photoshop with alpha channel (not with mipmaps as separate layers)
Edit colours as desired. I assume if you want to edit the shape (I did not) you will need to adjust the alpha layer to match.
Save as Intel DDS and chose color+alpha, it set BC3 automatically, mipmaps auto generate.
Import using ERP Archiever for desired car.

I wonder if BC3 was the problem?

Ramrod numbers 2.jpg

Not happy with the colour compared to how I set it in Photoshop (same green as the car).

32 in PS.JPG

EDIT 2: Yup, BC3 was not the right setting. BC7 SRGB Fine worked great (same as the main livery).

BTW the reason the highlights look blown out is because the screenshots were taken in HDR (as EXR files) and then brightness/exposure adjusted back down to save as JPGs. The metalic sheen of the green paint looks amazing in HDR.

Ramrod numbers 3.jpg

Ramrod numbers 4.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back