F1 2020 Game Review by RaceDepartment

Sep 27, 2010
Yeah totally. Of all the sims I've raced against the AI the ones from the Codies have always been the most convincing. That is one thing they definitely do get right.

Have been doing a multiplayer F1 2019 season with friends, the AI by far are some of the inconsistent and poorly done things in the game. From being completely oblivious to the user cars and wiping them out to being too timid, to also being idiotically aggressive in situations no driver would, mix that with the poorly done penalty logic and it is a nightmare.

Metisagon

50RPM
Premium
Feb 22, 2016
Nice review @Paul Jeffrey!

It's interesting, after getting into Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2 and iRacing in VR, I was struggling to justify getting F1 2020.

The introduction of the My Team feature sold it to me, as it's something I'd been pining for as long as I can remember.

I think if I can get out of my head and appreciate it for what it is and as something that is not trying to be an authentic sim, it makes for a very enjoyable play!

Momperface

75RPM
Jan 24, 2019
im sure its a great game, but i cannot move the camera far enough forward, with my setup and fov (49" ultawide) it feels like im driving from the back seat, the camera needs to be movable more forward, i refunded it

passenger

250RPM
Jul 6, 2019
I gave in and just bought it - I feel very dirty - very. Hopefully a beer or two will wash that feeling away.
Once washed and sober, tell us if you can do pit stops by yourself or otherwise the car drives and
stops by itself. I want to know how realistic this game is.

Slapped

250RPM
Oct 2, 2019
Once washed and sober, tell us if you can do pit stops by yourself or otherwise the car drives and
stops by itself. I want to know how realistic this game is.
Ahhh hahahahahahahahahahahaha, breath, hahahahahahahahahahahah, breath, hahahahahah, breath, ughhh OK I've got it together now - I think.

It's a Codemasters F1 game! Of course the car goes into auto pilot when you enter pitlane - I don't even need to play it to know that.

Codemasters, manual pit stops, LOL

It might sound like I was taking the mickey out of you, but I wasn't, I'm actually totally on your side ;)

May 18, 2020
Is it just me, or is there some kind of ridiculous teammate rubberband effect? I've been playing some 5 lap races to get a feel for the handling and I can barely keep up with any teammate I have. I blocked Kvyat off at Copse to the point the AI had to slow down to collect the car, before he managed to knock half a second(!) off his best S3 time to catch up. Then he shaved 6 tenths off his best S2 time the next lap. All this on the same difficulty level I coped fine with in 2019.

Slapped

250RPM
Oct 2, 2019
New version, so they could have changed that... I was just curious.
Honestly I think it's to do with the licensing with F1 rather than a lack of desire on the Codies part. I may be wrong but I think it's basically to do with F1 not wanting players to pile down the pit lane mowing virtual people down.

Reactions: Sasha Jednak

Haris82

75RPM
Premium
Jan 6, 2016
How dare you say positive things about a simcade?! Did you forget you're posting this on RD? You're offending the community! We're all super serious super skilled super hardcore simracers here. Take your Codies garbage somewhere else!
[/QUOTE

What a tool...

Leonardo Chaves

1000RPM
Oct 11, 2010
It's a Codemasters F1 game, it feels like a Codemasters F1 game, if the mere mention of the name makes you quiver that's where you jump off.
If you wanted a major step forward, you should probably jump too.

I refrained from posting first hour impressions because last year i had ok first impressions but once i started to drive harder and faster the physics urravelled in a bad way imo.
So this time i'm posting after i have logged 7 hours in this SOB...

As i said innitially, it feels very similar, it's not a hardcore sim in any way, but it feels slightly more nimble, less inherent understeer, you can even make it slight oversteery with the setup.
Some aspects seem weird, like you can go full rear brake bias with impunity, even 2019 had some(not much) rear locking if you went too far.

In terms of pick up and play, it beats the sim market handily.

Something i don't get is that the classic cars(even the ones from the 2000s) allow a lot slip and can be very playful.
I know cars got heavier, longer, stiffer... but the modern cars hate slip with a passion, and doesn't want to be manhandled at all, i don't get how they can model things so differently? It's still a (relatively) light weight formula car running on tires filled with air right?

Reactions: Lazarou

binny

1RPM
Premium
Jul 31, 2019
mmmmmm im in two minds its a good deal on cd keys, but the ongoing mouse support annoys me and have i got too much to play anyway.... nice review paul thanks matey

Slapped

250RPM
Oct 2, 2019
I haven't played 2020 yet, but I've taken the afternoon off today to have a spin.

But having played '17 '18 and '19 I feel that I do have to disagree with those that basically write off the F1 series as just arcade. Arcade is Mario Kart, GRID 2019, WipEout (I do love that game) - The F1 series is way more than that.

Sure it's not ACC, but IMO it is still sits more on the sim side of things even if it's not got the same depth of physics of the titles that are the usual fodder of this site, and one thing it does have, which I can find lacking in the more serious sims, is a really good immersion level where you do feel like part of the race against the AI.

Nano10

100RPM
Jul 3, 2017
Although in the min specs it says windows 10, some tried the game in windows 8? Works?

Slapped

250RPM
Oct 2, 2019
Quick first impressions, or more to the point, I've bought it so you don't have to.

A lot, read most, is pretty much unchanged from last year. Same UI with some music, font and colour changes.

Gameplay graphics are, as far as I can tell, visually unchanged from last year. Afterburner shows exactly the same incredibly low CPU and GPU levels as 2019 which means to me that nothing significant has changed regarding the EGO engine. Given the resource usage is so low (around 25% GPU and 12% CPU) I really am surprised that they didn't include VR this time round.

As for the physics the F1 cars seem a bit more planted this year, and have less of a propensity for locking up the fronts. Also the FFB seems more communicative as I'm definitely getting a "slip grip" feeling on some corners, but honestly I'd need to go back to 2019 to really confirm that.

The addition of My Team seems to be a really good idea, however they missed a trick here in that you can't be just the manager, you have to drive as well. I'd would have loved a pure management option where you watch the race unfold and implement tactical decisions for your team, mainly because at my age I think I'd be a better Toto Wolff than a Lewis Hamilton.

So if you're really into the team management side of things then I'd say this is a worthwhile buy.

However if you're like me and you just tend pick up the F1 games just to run the same race that's happening on any given weekend then it probably isn't worth it. Also when you take into consideration that all of the new content isn't actually going to be part of the 2020 season anyway then I'd honestly recommend giving it a miss this year. Just stick with 2019, and install this fantastic mod from @gallus to give you the up-to-date liveries - which are currently more up to date than what's in F1 2020.

Oh and the pit stops are still automatic and still have this ridiculous 10G flip flop manoeuver as they enter the pit box.

Reactions: MarkR and passenger

passenger

250RPM
Jul 6, 2019
Quick first impressions, or more to the point, I've bought it so you don't have to.

A lot, read most, is pretty much unchanged from last year. Same UI with some music, font and colour changes.

Gameplay graphics are, as far as I can tell, visually unchanged from last year. Afterburner shows exactly the same incredibly low CPU and GPU levels as 2019 which means to me that nothing significant has changed regarding the EGO engine. Given the resource usage is so low (around 25% GPU and 12% CPU) I really am surprised that they didn't include VR this time round.

As for the physics the F1 cars seem a bit more planted this year, and have less of a propensity for locking up the fronts. Also the FFB seems more communicative as I'm definitely getting a "slip grip" feeling on some corners, but honestly I'd need to go back to 2019 to really confirm that.

The addition of My Team seems to be a really good idea, however they missed a trick here in that you can't be just the manager, you have to drive as well. I'd would have loved a pure management option where you watch the race unfold and implement tactical decisions for your team, mainly because at my age I think I'd be a better Toto Wolff than a Lewis Hamilton.

So if you're really into the team management side of things then I'd say this is a worthwhile buy.

However if you're like me and you just tend pick up the F1 games just to run the same race that's happening on any given weekend then it probably isn't worth it. Also when you take into consideration that all of the new content isn't actually going to be part of the 2020 season anyway then I'd honestly recommend giving it a miss this year. Just stick with 2019, and install this fantastic mod from @gallus to give you the up-to-date liveries - which are currently more up to date than what's in F1 2020.

Oh and the pit stops are still automatic and still have this ridiculous 10G flip flop manoeuver as they enter the pit box.
Thanks for taking your time to review this.

I wasn't thinking abut buying it actually, because it still looked very arcadey, but I do like
watching some videos of it once in a while - the real drivers names, cars and tracks are
really attractive.

And that weird auto pit stop still there... this is aimed to console gamers, no doubt.

MarkR

500RPM
Premium
Feb 8, 2017
Having played the first 4 races of My Team (50% race length) and a few hot laps I think if you approach F1 2020 as a racing game immersing you in the F1 experience you get the most from it. No question the driving dynamics are a level behind the current sims (even the current Forza 7 build has better track feel & feedback), if you want a more authentic experience fire up any of the main sims and enjoy. Where it makes up for that deficit is with accessibility, racing action and the career modes.

My Team is both in-depth and satisfying to play. It isn't without its faults and odd design choices but it's easily the best racing game career mode this side of a pure management game.

The best elements:

+++ Agency over the direction, style and development of your team.

+++ The racing itself feels just like F1. In race 3 at Vietnam, Lando Norris breezed past my dodgy startup car only for a plume of smoke and the faint smell of garlic to emerge from his McLaren, the breakdowns and yellow flags for crashes seem realistic enough. 2 laps from the end the gearbox wear after 3 races the wear had become so bad that I lost both 2nd an 7th gears and just managed to hold off 2 cars, that had a lap ago been over 10 seconds behind me, over the line.

++ The feeling of worn tyres is well transmitted through the wheel. If the front wing is damaged the extra understeer is immediately noticeable.

+ Managing wear and tear on the engine and gearbox are the biggest issues in year one. This a good game within a game but maybe a little excessive. I just about managed 3 races from a gearbox that is meant to do 6 and took the 5 place grid penalty for replacing in race 4. Increasing durability is one area of R&D but at the upgrade, prices involved it's going to take some serious time. The ICE is well worn by race 4, but I have been using the increased fuel burn so could have reduced this somewhat further. I wouldn't disagree with anyone who sees this as a grind.

The average:

+/- The media interviews are as inane as the real thing but they do earn you points acclaim etc but meh.

+/- The livery editor remains just about passable.

+/- The force feedback and effects in the wheel are slightly better at relaying understeer/loss of grip but it still all feels a little bit distant and disconnected.

The usual Codemasters lack of polish and 'Podium Pass':

- Being able to 'buy' driver perks with (thankfully) in-game money, especially the 'reduce engine wear by 10%' perk seems at odds with the rest of the development ideas in the game. These perks are also well hidden away deep in a Corporate menu, I missed them at first. The media training type perk I can understand but I'm not sure what training would help a driver suddenly place 10% less wear on the engine. Just seems a bit of a strange mix of game mechanics when durability is already one of the development departments.

-- The practice session tests remain unbalanced, the level of performance expected for some of the tests in one of the lowest-performing cars is at 100% often ridiculous. The only way around this is to lower the difficulty level for practice and increase it again for quail and the race.

--- By far the worst element added is Podium Pass which now offers microtransactions to buy more cosmetic tat. F1 2020 is a full price £65 game on console, nothing justifies the addition of this paid add on tat but I suppose they are all at it these days. I suspect its the tip of the iceberg and more 'features' will be hidden behind the additional paywall in future. Not good for parents who will undoubtedly be nagged for this stuff.

Overall it's a fun racing game and fully recommended if you want the long play, in-depth F1 My Team career mode and the 2 new tracks. For everything else, there is F1 2019, 18, 17...