• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

F1 2020 Game Review by RaceDepartment

MarkR

500RPM
Premium
Feb 8, 2017
I'm enjoying it so far, My Team is as good as I hoped it would be, many different ways to approach the development of the team.

Finally, it is possible to adjust the in-game settings (AI difficulty, assists etc) during a race weekend not just on the race loading screen as it was before.

Everything except the Podium Pass has worked for me so far, leaderboards are up and working in time trial. I'm pretty sure the track limits are even more strict this year too.

Reactions: M D Gourley

M D Gourley

1000RPM
Sep 17, 2015
I enjoyed F1 2018 and may look at F1 2020....does it have a good 'Photo Mode' like PC2 or AMS2? :rolleyes::redface::)...as I did not hear Paul mention anything in his great review.
Edit: Just watched a You Tube video with F1 2019 Photo Mode...if F1 2020 has the same it looks great and has a lot of functionality.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff member
Premium
Sep 29, 2009
Everything except the Podium Pass has worked for me so far, leaderboards are up and working in time trial. I'm pretty sure the track limits are even more strict this year too.
Podium Pass opens up in x-hours. It worked fine during the Beta. Track Limits have been tweaked through the betas, I think it will end up stricter than 2019 but less strict that the most strict beta.

Reactions: MarkR

Graham Byford

100RPM
Sep 30, 2009
Does this game have an authentic 2020 championship mode starting in Austria with the double headers etc and cancelled rounds outside of the my team/career mode.

CDwyer

100RPM
Dec 18, 2014
Does this game have an authentic 2020 championship mode starting in Austria with the double headers etc and cancelled rounds outside of the my team/career mode.
You'd have to set that up yourself in Grand Prix mode, and add them. Which seems fair given that we dont know what the schedule will be yet. We might (I expect will) see it added as a Championship option once its finalized.Though if non-scheduled tracks get added, Codemasters have said they have no plans to add them.

Reactions: Graham Byford

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
The excellent French magazine Autohebdo has a review of the game on its website. I translated a few quotes from the review:

About My Team: "If you're a diehard f1 fan, you'll spend hours on this. The mode is very immersive."

On driving and physics: "In the world of simracing, the F1 series is not considered to be a simulation (just ask Verstappen !). However, without driving aids, you'll enjoy the feel of the game. Also, managing ERS, the pits stop, tire management and race strategy make the game very immersive."

Verdict: " No revolution for those familiar with the franchise, but some nice evolutions with My Team and championship mode. This year, Codemasters offers a very complete game that will make you spend many pleasant hours behind the wheel."

Grade : 18/20

The good:
-My Team
-Career mode
-Overtake button during racing

The bad:
-No VR
-A bit too arcade
-Online mode not changed

Wedge

250RPM
Sep 29, 2014
So, F1 games on a budget: which of the older titles is the best for a newcomer - since they're all currently on sale - both in terms of career mode and physics?

I heard 2020 improves some of the 2019 physics "issues" like the car sliding or something like that. But what about 2018 or 2017?

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
"Official videogame of the 2020 FIA Formula One World Championship"

Yeahhhh.... pretty sure they can't possibly market it as that if/when tracks that aren't in the game are used in the 2020 season
Well, it's official because they own the license. It doesn't say "100% similar to reality".

Last edited:

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
Just downloaded the game and gave it a try at Zandvoort. The Mercedes is still silver but the Williams has the new livery. One very, very small criticism: the choice of custom helmets is even crappier than before. They removed several design from the past seasons (including the one I always used) and left only a few boring ones.

Apr 12, 2010
Anyone can let me know what size is the installed game? It shows as a 25GB download on my steam... is that it for the full game?

dd11

10RPM
Oct 18, 2014
Utterly unrealistic, unless they move out spectators..
Otherwise, it is the very first F1 game I bought (as of current generation, coz GrandPrix1 on null-modem was the very first multiplayer game for me in early 90x ;)

Sasha Jednak

Sasa Jednak
Premium
Mar 27, 2011
Just downloaded the game and gave it a try at Zandvoort. The Mercedes is still silver but the Williams has the new livery. One very, very small criticism: the choice of custom helmets is even crappier than before. They removed several design from the past seasons (including the one I always used) and left only a few boring ones.
Did they remove it completely or they can be unlocked with those offline points they mentioned? I think I heard one of youtubers showing how he chooses from only few helmets and saying that as he earns those points in races he will unlock more designs and change his helmet.

Richard Hessels

1000RPM
Premium
Jul 23, 2008
How is the anti aliasing this year?
Still a blur fest with anything that moves fast?

I know i been complaingin about this for 5 years only.
Also a the DEV's, as they read their own forums and not this one.