F1 2020 F1 2020 | Check Out A Lap At The Monaco Grand Prix Circuit In F1 2020

F1 2020 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Another week where Formula One isn't racing, another week where Codemasters have released a new onboard lap video from the upcoming F1 2020 videogame - this time around the streets of Monte Carlo.

Riding along with Pierre Gasly’s newly re-branded AlphaTauri Grand Prix machine, a freshly renamed team that has yet to actually hit the circuit in anger under their new identity. The latest video from Codemasters does a great job of once again showcasing the visual improvements that have been brought to the latest addition of the long running official Formula One franchise, as we take to the streets of the Circuit de Monaco for a quick lap between the unforgiving barriers of Formula One racings showpiece event.

The track remains in the same configuration as has been the case in recent memory, but thanks to the improvements brought to F1 2020 by Codemasters, players can expect an improved visual experience within the latest title, further refining and enhancing what is already a very nice looking racing title.

F1 2020 is set to release on Friday 10th July 2020 for PS4, Xbox One and Google Stadia. Players who purchase the Michael Schumacher Deluxe Edition will receive exclusive content and three days early access.

Got questions about the game? Start a new thread at the RaceDepartment F1 2020 sub forum here at RaceDepartment, and let the community help you out!

F1_2020_screenshot_set1_12_monaco.jpg
F1_2020_screenshot_set1_14_monaco.jpg
F1_2020_screenshot_set1_13_monaco.jpg

People always moan about the same thing, FIFA is the same every year, F1 is the same every year. Instead of the usual pointless drivel why don't you tell us exactly how you can make F1 different every year when it's literally driving around the same tracks in the same cars with minor changes to said cars.

Write here how you would change F1 each year that makes it so it's a different game to the one previously.

I posted a more lengthy reason why I haven't bought any of Codemasters F1 titles since F1 2017--and yes, it has to do with these titles STILL not supporting VR... and that's a shame, as it would provide an incredible experience.

Here's a couple of the videos, one showing what I experience in VR versus a POV capture from F1 2016. Comparing the two, why would I want to spend $60 on F1 2020, play it for a few hours on a 2D screen, then return to all my other sims that do support VR, and probably never return to F1 2020 again?

VR captures of some test laps around Monaco. Read my other post about capturing VR--it only shows a third of what is experienced when someone wears a VR headset.

POV of F1 2016 with a head-mounted action cam.

Expecting every single racing game to support VR is incredibly naive and delusional, if F12020 did support VR what % of the player base would actually be using it? I don't think VR is mainstream enough for all of these developers to invest in and in all honesty, if they have to exclude the 5% of VR users who won't buy the game because they are petty then I don't think they care.

Have you guys seen the news that Liberty is considering having a sim game and an arcade game licensed at the same time?

I actually like the more "arcade" features Codemasters offers in their F1 series like:
-high input latency
-no forward renderer for VR
-no filter for toy wheels like logitech and fanatec csl
-no force boost for toy wheels
-cars harder to drive than sims like AMS1/AMS2.

Sims have way too much usability these days.
Codemasters knows that simmers like it hardcore. Like navigating menus with Fkeys.

Expecting every single racing game to support VR is incredibly naive and delusional, if F12020 did support VR what % of the player base would actually be using it? I don't think VR is mainstream enough for all of these developers to invest in and in all honesty, if they have to exclude the 5% of VR users who won't buy the game because they are petty then I don't think they care.

With recent developments and new products developed for VR, it is expected that 25% of the population are using VR in 2020. It is very mainstream now, and will become even more so as the technology continues to develop.

Codemasters still not realizing this is what is incredibly naive and delusional.

Am I upset or "hurt" because of this. Certainly not. I have at least six other incredible titles for enjoyment, training, and instruction that all benefit from VR. It's just a shame that such an incredible title like the Codemaster F1 series, for three years now, still doesn't support it. I can't justify spending $60 on it. After a couple of days, I just won't play it any longer. Not because it's bad, but as is, it only delivers a third of the experience as it's "confined" to a 2D computer screen. As I say in my post, it's an excellent product--and that's why it DESERVES to have the ability to support VR.

The moment Codemasters confirms they now support VR in the F1 titles, I'll purchase it immediately. I purchased every new yearly release up until 2017--I gave it a chance just after buying the Oculus Rift earlier that year. At that point, the experience was pretty MEH in F1 2017, after experiencing all the other titles in VR for the past few months.

Last edited:
25% of the population use VR? based on what exactly, so you're telling me roughly 1 out of every 4 racers that play the likes of iRacing and ACC are doing so in VR mode? find that incredibly hard to believe, if that was the case no developer would exclude 25% of its playerbase.

One out of every four, possibly, especially with the release of the Oculus Rift S.

And how many of them use VR for racing games compared to casual games like VR chat?

Being that sim-racing is likely one of the most ideal simulations for VR, I'd expect the numbers to be much higher than 20%. Race Department should set up a new poll to find out.

@Paul Jeffrey, care to set up a poll to determine the number of current VR users among your RD audience? Provide choices for single screen, triples, and VR. Of course it may be skewed some, depending on the makeup of your current audience.

Last edited:
With recent developments and new products developed for VR, it is expected that 25% of the population are using VR in 2020. It is very mainstream now, and will become even more so as the technology continues to develop.

Currently 1.91% of Steam users own a VR headset according to Steam hardware survey, so your 25% estimate may be a bit off. Frankly, now with everyone doing esports twitch streams during the lockdown, I think I've seen around one "professional" racer use VR. If it was that good, why are none opting for it? These are people with money, so that can't be the issue.

Currently 1.91% of Steam users own a VR headset according to Steam hardware survey, so your 25% estimate may be a bit off. Frankly, now with everyone doing esports twitch streams during the lockdown, I think I've seen around one "professional" racer use VR. If it was that good, why are none opting for it? These are people with money, so that can't be the issue.

You just need to realise that some of us actually prefer VR to flat screens for racing. The feeling of immersion is what does it.
Nothing to do if a real driver or a youtuber does or does not use VR

I play a shed load of differnt games on various systems yet on PC if a driving game ( I only refer to SIMS) does not support VR I dont buy it.
However arcade games I am happy not to use VR.

Over the years I have had a DK1(2014 I was converted), CV1 and Rift S.

So you're basing this 1.91% solely on a Steam report, that sells a wide variety of games, most of which don't support or benefit from VR. Then that 1.91% probably makes sense... for Steam users.

As for the minority of "professional" racers, what does that have to do with the majority of us? There may be a variety of reasons those few don't use it, especially if streaming or capturing their racing, and promoters probably want to see their face, rather than it being covered by a headset.

For streaming and Youtube, viewers often complain that it's too jumpy or disorienting to watch, and as I've said, capturing only one offset display with head tracking is just a third of the experience. Streaming VR capture is just not that appealing for long events, and unless someone's used VR extensively, these captures don't really do it justice. From these captures, they often assume VR isn't as good as it really is. Just the "shaking" video often causes some to come to the wrong conclusion, and they don't understand how fluid the tracking really is while "in" VR.

As for the cost, I use my ultra-wide monitor for FPS and adventure games, and because I still enjoy those, this justifies having the monitor. I just can't see playing a game like Borderlands in VR. However, my VR headset cost half the price of the monitor, and though my "old" Oculus Rift is lower resolution, the immersion factor far exceeds the experience of this single 144hz low-latency monitor. I've sat in full motion $40K+ rigs with four or more screens (triples + accessory or data screens), but even then, the experience just isn't the same as it is in VR.

Yep, nothing against VR. I'm just surprised how little VR is featured in any of the rigs I've seen built during this lockdown. And it doesn't only concern streamers, most esports sim racers that don't have streams seem to run monitors as well. Maybe it will change with time, but certainly the numbers aren't very high yet, which may well give Codies the excuse to not implement it for another couple of years.

F1 2018, one of my most regretful purchases. Not falling for this one

As Niels Heusinkveld said, most important thing about sim racing (for him, and me) is feeling the car on the limit. Not career, not multiplayer, not even graphics. But feeling the car on the limit through FFB, and dancing on the limit. That's the charm of sim racing, Codemasters physics and FFB just isn't up to snuff.
To me, most important part of a racing game is natural vehicle behavior at/over the limit and natural vehicle actions & reactions to driver input at/over the limit rather than simply feel. I don't care how good I can feel what's happening if what is happening itself isn't realistic (at best) or even terribly unrealistic and unnatural (at worst).

While codies F1 games certainly aren't "hardcore sim" and they certainly have unrealistic and strange aspects of physics, they also often drive better at/over the limit than hardcore sims. I still only own F1 2017 (so not sure about 2018 - 2020) and I'm able to power out of corners while being in control and modulating the rear-end angle of the vehicle as well as the wheelspin myself and it often eerily reminds me of, both, my real-life racing experience as well as watching oversteer angle & wheelspin control in real-life racing (including F1 itself). While other sims act extremely on/off in those situations as if your only option is to either not spin or spin but there's no in-between where you're actual in control of the vehicle.

In F1 2017, I can get aggressive with the throttle (in a controlled manner of course) to initiate wheelspin and oversteer angle on corner exit while fully in control of that wheelspin and angle just about the whole time. I do this, like in real-life (myself and every other driver), to reduce or overcome understeer and also as a way to quickly find the limit to putting down the power. In most other sims, when you get to this point, you need to snap-lift off the throttle or snap the wheel correction and then almost instantly snap it back to centre once the oversteer is caught (iRacing and rFactor/PCars-engine based sims are the worst at this with Live For Speed, Netkar Pro being the best and Assetto Corsa and ACC somewhere in the middle but closer to LFS and NKP).

I couldn't care less how good/bad I can feel if the physics are irritating, unnatural, and frustrating at/over the limit.

Fundamental vehicle behavior comes first to me personally, then "feel" comes second. I used to be the opposite; I used to always say feel is most important because regardless of how good/bad natural/unnatural the driving is, I want to be able to feel that and then I can always adapt to any game / physics engine's driving experience but I now think the opposite (pure vehicle behavior 1st, feel 2nd).

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 81 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 314 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing